Do you remember/miss Unsolved Mysteries?

I have my DVR set to record Dateline, 48 Hours and 20/20. Whenever I'm ready for something like that, I have episodes ready to go.

Yeah, I enjoy all of those. I know Dateline does a marathon on the OWN Network time to time.

There are a few other shows that bug me like Disappeared, I kinda wish they would soon get solved.

Cases of Brian Schaffer, the Ohio St med student who went into a bar and was never seen again or the college student Maura Murray who also vanished without a trace. I hope one day some of these stories can have a resolution so their family members can have some type of solace.

Jeepers Creepers may have gotten it's story from an Unsolved
Mysteries episode

Last edited:
Remember watching the dubbed version at 11pm ....even more freakish that late.

lol I vaguely remember that. As I have mentioned this before, it wasn't the teachers or the occasional officers that came to my elementary and spoke to us by giving us advice by not talking to strangers, it was shows like AMW or UM that kept me safe. I knew not to play alone or be out late at nights.

Cases of Brian Schaffer, the Ohio St med student who went into a bar and was never seen again or the college student Maura Murray who also vanished without a trace. I hope one day some of these stories can have a resolution so their family members can have some type of solace.

Oxygen is actually doing a thing on Maura Murray at the end of the month. That's a case I've looked into quite a bit.

Do you have any theories what might of happened to her?

Well I only see a few possibilities:

1. She was captured and killed.
2. She was captured and remains captured.
3. She wandered away from the road and died of exposure.
4. She intentionally disappeared and started a new life elsewhere.

I think of these possibilities, #3 is the most likely. #4 is the most desirable. #1 and #2 just suck.

Not sure how deeply you've looked into the case, but if you've looked into it deeply at all you're probably familiar with James Renner. He has a very popular blog on the topic and also wrote a book. I read the book and he believes #4 is the most plausible explanation and thinks she's in Canada.

If you're not actually familiar with his blog, here you go:

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/

There's also a podcast dedicated to her disappearance and I think these guys are in some way involved with the new Oxygen series:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPYyMAOgPl6krkHylgs0-Bw

Well I only see a few possibilities:

1. She was captured and killed.
2. She was captured and remains captured.
3. She wandered away from the road and died of exposure.
4. She intentionally disappeared and started a new life elsewhere.

I think of these possibilities, #3 is the most likely. #4 is the most desirable. #1 and #2 just suck.

Not sure how deeply you've looked into the case, but if you've looked into it deeply at all you're probably familiar with James Renner. He has a very popular blog on the topic and also wrote a book. I read the book and he believes #4 is the most plausible explanation and thinks she's in Canada.

If you're not actually familiar with his blog, here you go:

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/

There's also a podcast dedicated to her disappearance and I think these guys are in some way involved with the new Oxygen series:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPYyMAOgPl6krkHylgs0-Bw

One can only hope she went off to Canada. It's just sad.

Most cases when people just vanish, their remains are only a few miles from where they were seen. I am not sure if you recall an episode of UM, where some person enters a convient store but before it notices a family van parked. When he arrived back, the van was gone and a haunting picture of a teenage girl and a pre-teenage boy were handcuffed and gaged in the back of the van. A boy who had gone missing at a camp site believed for sure it was there boy. Later down the road, the boys remains were found near the camp site where he died accidently from falling off his bike and down a hill or something.

There was another case of a 30 something year old vanishing. His car was found but nobody knew what happened to him. Some swore they saw him a homeless shelter. Years later his remains were discovered only a few miles from his car. He died from the elements.

I also think it could be # 3. I think she probably wandered off and was killed by the elements. I hope it's not 1-2, and hopefully she is somewhere but the case being as popular as it is, somebody would've seen her by now.

I'll check out the blog. Thanks.

Oxygen is actually doing a thing on Maura Murray at the end of the month. That's a case I've looked into quite a bit.

From wiki:

"In a press release, they stated they believed "Maura was headed for an unknown destination and may have accepted a ride in order to continue to that location", adding that they had discovered no evidence that a crime had been committed. They dismissed the possibility of a serial killer being involved."

The most likely scenario here has Maura getting picked up by the wrong guy after crashing her car on the snow bank. To dismiss the possibility of a serial killer being involved is quite dumb. As we talked about before, they usually try and create some crazy theory out of the clues they've found leading up to the disappearance but it usually just comes down to something simple as a rapist/killer coming along and offering her a ride.

From wiki:

"In a press release, they stated they believed "Maura was headed for an unknown destination and may have accepted a ride in order to continue to that location", adding that they had discovered no evidence that a crime had been committed. They dismissed the possibility of a serial killer being involved."

The most likely scenario here has Maura getting picked up by the wrong guy after crashing her car on the snow bank. To dismiss the possibility of a serial killer being involved is quite dumb. As we talked about before, they usually try and create some crazy theory out of the clues they've found leading up to the disappearance but it usually just comes down to something simple as a rapist/killer coming along and offering her a ride.

You know what bothers is that people still get into strangers cars. I hope this wasn't the case.

But I could possibly understand why she did it. If i am not mistaken, they stated she had been drinking. She probably did not want to call the cops and talk about her accident because it would've resulted in her getting a DUI.

You know what bothers is that people still get into strangers cars. I hope this wasn't the case.

But I could possibly understand why she did it. If i am not mistaken, they stated she had been drinking. She probably did not want to call the cops and talk about her accident because it would've resulted in her getting a DUI.

Yeah with the wine and beer in the car, I have a feeling that's why she didn't want the neighbor (or bus driver, can't remember) to call the cops and probably why she lied about calling AAA. I just think if she walked away and died of exposure, her remains would have been found by now and they would have been preserved pretty well in the snow. Since they did an exhaustive search and found nothing, it leads me to believe that she got picked up and killed.

Most cases when people just vanish, their remains are only a few miles from where they were seen. I am not sure if you recall an episode of UM, where some person enters a convient store but before it notices a family van parked. When he arrived back, the van was gone and a haunting picture of a teenage girl and a pre-teenage boy were handcuffed and gaged in the back of the van. A boy who had gone missing at a camp site believed for sure it was there boy. Later down the road, the boys remains were found near the camp site where he died accidently from falling off his bike and down a hill or something.

Damn, that's pretty crazy. I wonder what is up with that picture.

There are some sick fucks in this world--literally sick in their minds--who just have no conscience. It's amazing what some people can bring themselves to do to other people.

There was another case of a 30 something year old vanishing. His car was found but nobody knew what happened to him. Some swore they saw him a homeless shelter. Years later his remains were discovered only a few miles from his car. He died from the elements.

I think you may have linked something up for me about this before. The homeless shelter part sounds familiar.

I also think it could be # 3. I think she probably wandered off and was killed by the elements. I hope it's not 1-2, and hopefully she is somewhere but the case being as popular as it is, somebody would've seen her by now.

Well that's just it, there have been reports of Maura sightings in Canada and most of them seem to be clustered around the same general area.

But you know how it is about people's sightings. Misidentifications are very easy.

At this point it's also important to point out that she would be 13 years older than when she disappeared so she probably looks/would look somewhat different.

I'll check out the blog. Thanks.

Lots of good info on there but sometimes you have to dig deep to find it.

From wiki:

I think the killer theory is certainly plausible, but not the most likely. For one, you have to consider how many legit murderers are out there on the roads at any given time. And then you have to remember that this was a fairly remote stretch of highway where she crashed her car. So not only would someone have had to come along in the brief time between the last sighting of her and her disappearance, but that someone would also have to be someone capable of murder. The odds just seem low.

What I think is most likely is that she had already been in trouble with the law recently (on two occasions, I think) and there was evidence to suggest that she had been drinking and driving. So she crashed her car and then wandered away from the highway in an attempt to separate herself from the crash site and give herself some time to sober up. But it was winter in New Hampshire and she ultimately succumbed to the elements, possibly after getting lost and being unable to find her way back to the car.

James Renner thinks that there was in fact another driver involved, but it was someone she knew. So she crashed her car, the other driver picked her up, and they crossed into Canada together.

But who knows. I'm curious to watch the new series on her on Oxygen. It should be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this on Netflix?

Will check it out if it is. Love these types of crime/mystery programs.

I think the killer theory is certainly plausible, but not the most likely. For one, you have to consider how many legit murderers are out there on the roads at any given time. And then you have to remember that this was a fairly remote stretch of highway where she crashed her car. So not only would someone have had to come along in the brief time between the last sighting of her and her disappearance, but that someone would also have to be someone capable of murder. The odds just seem low.

What I think is most likely is that she had already been in trouble with the law recently (on two occasions, I think) and there was evidence to suggest that she had been drinking and driving. So she crashed her car and then wandered away from the highway in an attempt to separate herself from the crash site and give herself some time to sober up. But it was winter in New Hampshire and she ultimately succumbed to the elements, possibly after getting lost and being unable to find her way back to the car.

James Renner thinks that there was in fact another driver involved, but it was someone she knew. So she crashed her car, the other driver picked her up, and they crossed into Canada together.

But who knows. I'm curious to watch the new series on her on Oxygen. It should be interesting.

Don't you think they would have found her body by now though? They searched extensively and her father even searched extensively by himself well after they called off the search parties. So much so that he had to quit due to people complaining about him trespassing on their property. I would say that if the crash happened yesterday, then succumbing to the elements would be the most likely cause but since it's been 13 years and they still haven't found her out there, so I think being picked up by a killer has now emerged as the most likely possibility.

Or I'd say being picked up is the #1 possibility. Then you have to say, picked up by who? A killer? Someone looking to help? Someone she knew? Not that I have the data to back it up but I feel like when women disappear, they get killed more often than they just disappear to start a new life. Especially if they aren't out on bail or something that would make them more likely to run away.

Besides if the highway was so remote there, what are the odds that someone she knew would pick her up and take her into Canada so they could hide? I think Renner's theory has the lowest possibility of being true unless there are some details that I don't know about.

The amazing thing is so many murder or missing people cases have remained unsolved. Pretty damn sad.

Jeepers Creepers may have gotten it's story from an Unsolved
Mysteries episode

I watched that and it seems like they basically did take that story.

I really miss this show. It had that mix of serious with missing people mysteries and some supernatural stuff.

I watch those ghost haunting shows that make it look like real people are telling the stories and it's just not as good.

You guys are bringing me back with this show. Tales From The Crypt is major nostalgia too.

Back