Do you have a "background" or "comfort" movie?

G

Guestx

These are the movies that you've put on over and over and over and over. Not once, not ten times, but 50 times, 60 times, a hundred times or more, even if just in the background.

Several years ago I lived with a guy who had a substantial VHS collection and one of the films in that collection was The Replacement Killers. We didn't have cable so unless it was just going to be quiet in the apartment, you had to have a movie going (or music, but I didn't do a ton of that). And The Replacement Killers was the movie I'd put on when I just wanted something going in the background while I did other shit.

Or another example: I've mentioned a few times on here that I used to be a shift leader at Hollywood Video. Well at night when I had to lock myself in the office and count the money so we could close up, I'd always put Way of the Gun on and let it play in the background.

I've talked to a lot of other people who have a regular movie, or movies, that they will play while they're trying to sleep, or put on in the background while they're doing other shit, or will watch over and over because it brings them some kind of comfort or sense of security (on this last part, I used to have a friend who would watch episodes of The Office over and over for that reason).

So what's up? Who here has a movie like this?

Interstellar, Exorcist, Tales from the Crypt (70's version,) Event Horizon, The Conjuring, etc.

Too many to name.

I often have a movie playing in the background while I'm cleaning, or just doing stuff around the house.

Probably some cheesy 90s movie from my childhood like Heavyweights or 3 Ninjas

Or maybe a movie like Coming to America. I've seen that movie so many times, I can reliably quote 90+% of it.

Lol I think it's kind of dumb to have visual entertainment on that you aren't even looking at. Music though? Certainly.

Bloodsport
Bladerunner
The Gauntlet
and others I can't think of right meow
seen em many times.
can watch again and again

Not a movie, but I put on Curb Your Enthusiasm all the time for background noise. Larry going off just never gets old.

In all seriousness, for thread purposes, and I know it sounds nerdy, but I'll have various live streams going. Shkreli has been my latest when I do.

My Little Pony - Island of Adventure

I record all of the syndicated King of Queens on my Tivo and will play those in the background sometimes.

80's sci-fi/action like Predator, Terminator, Ghostbusters, etc.

Movies like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, BTTF series, My Cousin Vinny, etc. are easy go-to if there's nothing else on.

These are the movies that you've put on over and over and over and over. Not once, not ten times, but 50 times, 60 times, a hundred times or more, even if just in the background.

Several years ago I lived with a guy who had a substantial VHS collection and one of the films in that collection was The Replacement Killers. We didn't have cable so unless it was just going to be quiet in the apartment, you had to have a movie going (or music, but I didn't do a ton of that). And The Replacement Killers was the movie I'd put on when I just wanted something going in the background while I did other shit.

Or another example: I've mentioned a few times on here that I used to be a shift leader at Hollywood Video. Well at night when I had to lock myself in the office and count the money so we could close up, I'd always put Way of the Gun on and let it play in the background.

I've talked to a lot of other people who have a regular movie, or movies, that they will play while they're trying to sleep, or put on in the background while they're doing other shit, or will watch over and over because it brings them some kind of comfort or sense of security (on this last part, I used to have a friend who would watch episodes of The Office over and over for that reason).

So what's up? Who here has a movie like this?

Mystery Woman: Redemption
In the mouth of madness
Byzantium
Push

When I was a kid, it was Bloodsport. Now, Tombstone. But only because I don't own Bloodsport on blu ray. Well, maybe it would be Tombstone anyway.

Yes, last semester it was a rotation of 2. Just anytime I was doing work, making note cards or rewriting notes I just needed something in the background I watched a million times and wouldn't stop to watch it for hours

Almost Famous
Career Opportunities

We will see what the fall semester brings

80's sci-fi/action like Predator, Terminator, Ghostbusters, etc.

Movies like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, BTTF series, My Cousin Vinny, etc. are easy go-to if there's nothing else on.
Nice. Cousin Vinny is another movie I can reliably quote as the movie plays

"Are you sure about those 5 minutes? Are you sure about those 5 minutes?! ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THOSE 5 MINUTES?!!"
"...I may have been mistaken"
"I got no more use for dis guy"

I thought it was really good. Yes, some cheese, but I really liked it. Dakota was really good in it. It reminds me a lot of Scanners.

I only watched it once. I thought it was okay: Better than the critics were giving it credit for but not something that thought was especially great.

Maybe I'll revisit it at some point.

Back