Do you have a "background" or "comfort" movie?

Frogs (1972)

I nap like a hibernating grizzly with that movie playing. I think it's the swamp sounds.

Not a movie, but I also sleep like a rock with Forensic Files on.

Poor Sam Elliott, spending an hour and a half pretending to be stressed out about nothing, and it wasn't even because he had to act against a green screen.

When I was broke I had a DVD player and like 4 dvds. I've watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall a ridiculous amount of times.

Lol I think it's kind of dumb to have visual entertainment on that you aren't even looking at. Music though? Certainly.
Yeah I have the radio playing when I'm cleaning or writing or doing dishes, but just having video playing I'm not even going to look at seems weird.

A Few Good Men
Unforgiven
Blue Velvet
Dawn of the Dead

the-princess-bride.jpg

He's really not. People just like to jump on he hate train, which is exactly what you're doing right now.

Yep, no way I've possibly come to my opinion about his work independently.

Always running late as fuck with my last meal of the day (tea) 'dinner' and there's never anything on tv
Plus I hate TV I only watch TUF really

So my go to is on my record box, shutter island or Prometheus for like 20 minutes
Then bed

If you did, you've have come to a different conclusion.

Okay, well I could tell you that you only claim to like Paul W.S. Anderson films in order to be a contrarian, but I'm willing to give you the "benefit of the doubt" and believe that you actually enjoyed Pompeii and the Resident Evil series.

Okay, well I could tell you that you only claim to like Paul W.S. Anderson films in order to be a contrarian, but I'm willing to give you the "benefit of the doubt" and believe that you actually enjoyed Pompeii and the Resident Evil series.

Maybe that's the problem. You're taking his WORST films, like Pompeii, and judging the extent of his ability by them. That's like saying, "Oh, well Spielberg sucks. Have you seen War of the Worlds?"

I think it makes more sense to look at his BEST films--his high marks--in judging his capabilities. Because we're trying to determine how good he can be, not how bad he can be.

The fact of the matter is that Mortal Kombat is a good movie. It may not be to your taste, and therefore you may not have enjoyed it, but that doesn't mean it's a poorly made film. Soldier is also a good movie. Simple storyline, but well-executed. And while I haven't seen Event Horizon in many years, I know a lot of people enjoy that one as well.

Personally, I also liked AvP, the Resident Evil movies and The Three Musketeers, even though I can identify problems with those films.

Maybe that's the problem. You're taking his WORST films, like Pompeii, and judging the extent of his ability by them. That's like saying, "Oh, well Spielberg sucks. Have you seen War of the Worlds?"

I think it makes more sense to look at his BEST films--his high marks--in judging his capabilities. Because we're trying to determine how good he can be, not how bad he can be.

The fact of the matter is that Mortal Kombat is a good movie. It may not be to your taste, and therefore you may not have enjoyed it, but that doesn't mean it's a poorly made film. Soldier is also a good movie. Simple storyline, but well-executed. And while I haven't seen Event Horizon in many years, I know a lot of people enjoy that one as well.

Personally, I also liked AvP, the Resident Evil movies and The Three Musketeers, even though I can identify problems with those films.

Well, if a director distributes his time alternating between making 5.5's and 3.0's with maybe one 6 thrown in there...

Sure, he makes a slightly above average movie once in a while.

Back