Do you have a "background" or "comfort" movie?

Superbad or Hot Fuzz

I know all the lines by heart so I dont have to pay attention to it at all. can clean the house and occasionally listen in, hear what part its at and immediately know where I am...love it

I hope for the rest of my life Seinfeld reruns will play from 6-7 PM. Coming in from work and cooking dinner to it in the background just feels right.

Not really movies, but series. Friends/The Simpsons/Seinfeld/Frasier usually. Or i load up some stream on Twitch.

Usually a comedy, it keeps the mood light I guess. Super Troopers, Step Brothers, etc. The show I almost always have on if it's on tv at the time is Impractical Jokers.

These are the movies that you've put on over and over and over and over. Not once, not ten times, but 50 times, 60 times, a hundred times or more, even if just in the background.

Several years ago I lived with a guy who had a substantial VHS collection and one of the films in that collection was The Replacement Killers. We didn't have cable so unless it was just going to be quiet in the apartment, you had to have a movie going (or music, but I didn't do a ton of that). And The Replacement Killers was the movie I'd put on when I just wanted something going in the background while I did other shit.

Or another example: I've mentioned a few times on here that I used to be a shift leader at Hollywood Video. Well at night when I had to lock myself in the office and count the money so we could close up, I'd always put Way of the Gun on and let it play in the background.

I've talked to a lot of other people who have a regular movie, or movies, that they will play while they're trying to sleep, or put on in the background while they're doing other shit, or will watch over and over because it brings them some kind of comfort or sense of security (on this last part, I used to have a friend who would watch episodes of The Office over and over for that reason).

So what's up? Who here has a movie like this?

Forrest Gump.

giphy.gif

I don't but my friend used to fall asleep with Clockwork Orange on every night for years . Yes, he is a strange dude lol.

Not movies, but I have TV shows like that. Used to be 30 Rock on Netflix, but I got Hulu recently so it's running Seinfeld all the time.

I like dialogue heavy movies like Tarantino or Kevin Smith flicks when im doing house cleaning,so i dont really need to actually watch it,just hear it,to be entertained. Seinfeld on dvd too.

I thought it was Night At The Roxbury

but I watched it on mushrooms once and their life and relationships start falling apart in a fake flower van and it freaked me right out

Friday with Ice Cube, or the old lord of the rings movies...you can have that shit on all day.

These movies get put into rotation a lot especially when drunk

Last of the Mohicans
Manhunter
Thief
Miami vice
Alien 3
Unbreakable
Gattaca
Conan the barbarian
Rocky balboa
Watership down

Somehow, it's never crossed my mind to do this. But if I did, it'd be The Sandlot.

I like doing this with lame sitcoms (Raymond, KOQ, KOTH, Simpsons etc…). I think it's a bad habit, I started it during a tough period of my life and the cheap easy happiness from the sitcom families was reassuring for me so I could get my mind to stop spinning and just sleep.

LotR/Hobbit films
MCU films
Anything from the old WPIX 11 and TBS libraries (Rocky III, Big Trouble in Little China, Beastmaster, Willow, etc) stuff that I've seen a million times and can enjoy but not be distracted by or miss anything.

Nice. Cousin Vinny is another movie I can reliably quote as the movie plays

"Are you sure about those 5 minutes? Are you sure about those 5 minutes?! ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THOSE 5 MINUTES?!!"
"...I may have been mistaken"
"I got no more use for dis guy"

One of the best. Can watch every time it comes on.

Predator
T2
Dumb and Dumber
Step Brothers
Any Marvel Studios movie

The Rocky films!! specially the training montange!!

Frogs (1972)

I nap like a hibernating grizzly with that movie playing. I think it's the swamp sounds.

Not a movie, but I also sleep like a rock with Forensic Files on.

Ha. Event Horizon by Kubrick would be great, but I have to stick up for Paul WS Anderson (as I always do when someone attacks him). I think he's a lot better than he often gets credit for.

He's every bit as bad as people say.

Back