DJ might break Silva's record, but Silva has 3 huge performances in LHW. Which is more impressive?

Silva is more impressive. He fought guys who are much more dangerous and he showed crazy skills we only see in movies. Mouse is impressive but not exciting to watch because he does not try anything "fun" to watch. Plus in the lighter weights there isn't the on the edge of your seat feeling of a KO at anytime. Lighter weights are faster and overall more skilled but they lack power and crazy moves.

I havent read many of these replies so maybe Im just repeating what others have already said but just look at who MM is fighting. Can you name me ONE all time great or ONE name that will be remembered at all that he has fought. Its not his fault I get it, he is just basically fighting whomever they put in front of him but the problem is that his weight class doesnt have anybody of note.

Anderson getting caught by usada disqualifies him from goat as well as Jones. Its Gsp and MM now

DJ is the king at his weight, but the talent pool there is too shallow for the division to be taken too seriously. The dudes competing at regular weightclasses have a much harder time competing and getting into the ufc. What mouse is doing can be compared to what rousey did. Be the boss of an uberweak division for a while.

"3x tough challengers at LHW"....

Hahahaahahahaahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

You mean flirting with the idea of going up and fiighting tailor made fighters. Then pussying out and staying at MW...the weakest division (at the time) in UFC history.

MM. Got smacked up by cruz so the UFC felt sorry for him and made him a division. Beats part time fighters in a division similar to women's BW when ronda was champ.

Both are overrated. TJ, Cruz and co whoop MM. Weidman whooped anderson as did pillow fists bisping.

You cannot compare Demetrious and Anderson, they are not even in the same league in my opinion.

It's hard to find talented 125lb men, never mind men that are that small and they want to dedicate themselves to fighting. Demetrious is the best in a bad division, he's beaten the best available to him, but the best available are not people like Dan Henderson, Vitor Belfort, Chael Sonnen, Nate Marquardt, Forrest Griffin, Rich Franklin, Demian Maia or Yushin Okami.

Anderson gets criticized in some part for being "boring" in certain fights, what people need to realize is even in those bouts, he pretty much didn't get touched (Cote, Maia and Leites).

Silva is a perennial top 5 GOAT contender, Demetrious will be lucky if he even solidifies a top 10 spot.

Competition matters. Ramon Gonzalez isn't going down as a top 5 GOAT contender in Boxing because he beat up a load of fellow midgets.

Half of those names are not impressive. A few were essentially gifted title shots vs Silva. Such as Maias 1 win after getting leveled by Marquardt the fight before. Maia who was essentially a pure grappler at that time. Pretty sure there was a round that Maia outstruck Silva. And Silva was unable to finish him.

I find Joseph Benavidez a comparable win to Rich Franklin.
John Dodson better then Nate Marquardt
Henry Cejudo a comparable win to Chael Sonnen
Kyoji Horiguchi more risky then Yushin Okami

Like I'm just trying my best to compare, and I don't see this huge divide you are seeing.

Up next Wilson Reis would be something like Thales Leites.

DJ still has work to do, but his current run is very impressive and may still grow.

Cejudo, a fucking olympic wrestling gold medalist who was undefeated in mma up to that point is comparable to Sonnen?

The heavier fighters that you meet, the more dangerous it gets. One slip and you can end up getting knocked out. This can of course happen in the lower weight classes as well, but it's not as common. MM is a very, very skilled fighter but he's the king of a relatively weak division. Being #1 for a long time at a heavier weight class I think is far more impressive and we've also never seen any "wow" moments in MM fights compared to e.g. when Silva beat Griffin.

You guys say this shit over and iver again. Does that make Fedor undisputed goat? Should anyone else in any other weight class be considered after any one in HW? Does that mean Cain and Nog are higher on a goat list than Silva or GSP? Ignoring the fact that Silva is a roider of course.

Silva's 3 fights at LHW were against very favorable matchups. Slow, plodding strikers who weren't great wrestlers.

Really hate that Anderson tested positive.
It's hard not letting it taint his wonderful legacy.
With that said Anderson's legacy will still be greater than MM, even after he beats Anderson's record.

Half of those names are not impressive. A few were essentially gifted title shots vs Silva. Such as Maias 1 win after getting leveled by Marquardt the fight before. Maia who was essentially a pure grappler at that time. Pretty sure there was a round that Maia outstruck Silva. And Silva was unable to finish him.
You sir, sound like a hater.

Maia is a one dimensional grappler? Yeah, you're correct, he's only the greatest grappler to ever compete in MMA.

In the same breath you claim that Silva "was unable to finish him". You've watched the fight right? Silva could have done whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted, it was one of the most one-sided fights I've ever seen. He was literally trolling the whole fight, can you not remember him getting down on his hands and knees and Maia just standing there and doing nothing?

"Half those names are not impressive" he says - oh, and Chris Cariaso, John Moraga, Ali Bagautinov and Tim Elliott are? GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE DUDE.

It's not even an argument, and on that note, I'm out.

Silva's 3 fights at LHW were against very favorable matchups. Slow, plodding strikers who weren't great wrestlers.
The guy used to fight at 168lbs, if anyone else did what he did they would be gods.

Anderson beat Forrest, that alone is impressive, but the way he did it? Come on! One of the best KO's ever.

Let's stop being blind to his greatness.

This is why the UFC is stupid for introducing this division. Now your most decorated champ in history or whatever is fuckin Mighty Mouse. That's real marketable.

You sir, sound like a hater.

Maia is a one dimensional grappler? Yeah, you're correct, he's only the greatest grappler to ever compete in MMA.

In the same breath you claim that Silva "was unable to finish him". You've watched the fight right? Silva could have done whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted, it was one of the most one-sided fights I've ever seen. He was literally trolling the whole fight, can you not remember him getting down on his hands and knees and Maia just standing there and doing nothing?

"Half those names are not impressive" he says - oh, and Chris Cariaso, John Moraga, Ali Bagautinov and Tim Elliott are? GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE DUDE.

It's not even an argument, and on that note, I'm out.

He wasnt trolling. Are you a preteen? He was running. He was trying to bait Maia. He did not want Maia to grab a hold of him. But was able to do whatever he wanted to him in the fight? Why didnt he end it then? Because he couldnt.

If were gonna make a big deal about Silva moving up to LHW for fights I guess its worth noting that Johnson has 3 UFC and 3 WEC fights at Bantamweight. With only 1 loss.
This is what I came to say. DJ worked his way up to a title shot at BW. I'm still bias towards the spider though.

The guy used to fight at 168lbs, if anyone else did what he did they would be gods.

Anderson beat Forrest, that alone is impressive, but the way he did it? Come on! One of the best KO's ever.

Let's stop being blind to his greatness.

I'm not being blind to Anderson's greatness at all; he's top 4 in the GOAT list as far as I'm concerned (in no particular order). I'm just saying the guys he fought at LHW presented quite favorable matchups for him: neither of the 3 could stand with him.

He fought at 168 early in his career. With his build, tall and lanky, the smallest of muscle gains translates to big weight gain; and guys typically get heavier as they get older. I wreslted at 171 my senior year (18yr old) of HS and I weigh 211 now.

Beating a contender at your own weight means more than beating the Bonnars and Irvins at a weight class above. Not to mention Silva didn't give up any size at 205.

20090807032425_IMG_0947.JPG

bantamweight-champion-dominick-cruz-and-challenger-demetrious-johnson-picture-id127703702

Last edited:
Back