DJ might break Silva's record, but Silva has 3 huge performances in LHW. Which is more impressive?

Yeah, I just counted on DJ's UFC profile, you´re right he has 9, but they've been talking about him breaking Silva's record, and Silva has 10, so what do you think is going on there?

Eh I think they just made a mistake. DJ is attempting to tie the record.

DJ has 9.
Anderson had 10, but there's also that Travis Lutter bout which some would like considered as 11.

Which is more impressive to you? Having the record of consecutive title defenses or a mix of consecutive defenses and challenges in a class above?

Demetrious Johnson: perhaps the most well rounded fighter ever. No holes in the game. If he beats Reis, he makes it 11 defenses and breaks Silva's record.
FrenchRelievedBlackcrappie.gif
02.gif
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Silva: besides his 10 defenses (IMO it should be 11 since it´s not his fault Travis Lutter missed weight.... here, I said it), had the balls to go up a weight class and risked ending his winning streak (nothing to win, everything to lose), and faced 3 LHW and completely destroyed them:

The most incredible performance ever (imo) inside the ufc octagon (perhaps in all MMA) against former LHW Griffin.
bdFLUGk.gif
anderson+silva+forrest+griffin+knockout.gif

Destroyed Bonnar
silva%20finishes%20bonnar.gif

And a complete annihilation of Irvin in a few seconds.
silva%20v%20irvin%20leg%20kick%20counter.gif

In b4 the haters talk about his failed test: fuck off, his legacy was already cemented way before that, so don´t bother.
4r3xhw.jpg

What say you, sherdog? Which is more impressive?
Midgets

I guess we're just going to forget that DJ fought at 135 in he UFC and only lost against Cruz.

Flyweight is a new division. Dj is basically like Royce Gracie or Chuck Liddell.

lol Silva will be better than DJ by a country mile, always and forever.

There is the dwarf multiplier you are forgetting to apply to the MMA fights.

3 huge performances at LHW??
I'd say both are up there. Dominating your division over years is something that you can only achieve if you're one level above the rest. How many fighters can say that?

It's so much more impressive than grabbing the belt in an undeserved title shot and running away with it.

Lol man you guys are pathetic.

Whose better between Andy and DJ you ask???

well Conor didn't deserve a title shot to begin with, and then when he won it he didn't defend, that is my answer. QQ

honestly why keep bringing him up if he hate the guy.

To be fair to Demetrious Johnson, he spent the beginning of his career fighting above his natural weight class since there was no Flyweight division available in the WEC/UFC at the time. DJ has Bantamweight wins over Miguel Torres (Former Bantamweight champions), Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto (Legend), Damacio Page, and Nick Pace. He also fought Dominick Cruz, the greatest Bantamweight so far. So it isn't as if Mouse hasn't fought larger opponents, he spent the earlier portion of his career doing it.

But to be fair to the Great Anderson, he actually started his career at WW, then moved up to MW where he reigned as champion, and fought a couple times at LW. That is THREE different weight classes Anderson has shown dominance. So even if Demetrious breaks Anderson's record, Anderson is more accomplished, for now. But if Demetrious surpasses Anderson's record by a large margin, it will be hard to argue against DJ being greater, regardless if he moves up or not. Records aren't subjective.

What Anderson has accomplished is great for sure, but reigning for years as a champion surpasses moving up to fight. Fighters move up and win all the time but there isn't a fighter alive who can say they have 11 consecutive UFC title defenses. If DJ gets that, he is the only one who can say it.

Which is more impressive to you? Having the record of consecutive title defenses or a mix of consecutive defenses and challenges in a class above?

Demetrious Johnson: perhaps the most well rounded fighter ever. No holes in the game. If he beats Reis, he makes it 11 defenses and breaks Silva's record.
FrenchRelievedBlackcrappie.gif
02.gif
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Silva: besides his 10 defenses (IMO it should be 11 since it´s not his fault Travis Lutter missed weight.... here, I said it), had the balls to go up a weight class and risked ending his winning streak (nothing to win, everything to lose), and faced 3 LHW and completely destroyed them:

The most incredible performance ever (imo) inside the ufc octagon (perhaps in all MMA) against former LHW Griffin.
bdFLUGk.gif
anderson+silva+forrest+griffin+knockout.gif

Destroyed Bonnar
silva%20finishes%20bonnar.gif

And a complete annihilation of Irvin in a few seconds.
silva%20v%20irvin%20leg%20kick%20counter.gif

In b4 the haters talk about his failed test: fuck off, his legacy was already cemented way before that, so don´t bother.
4r3xhw.jpg

What say you, sherdog? Which is more impressive?

If you get caught for doing steroids, then you were doing it for your whole career, and should be banned.

At least that's what Anderson Silva said before he was busted for doing several PED's.

AS will always have a legacy, but to pretend he didn't get busted is ridiculous, MM was able to achieve what AS achieved without cheating plain and simple.

5 midget fights = 1 silva fight

come on with this mighty mouse bullshit. he's got a cult of fanatics, made up mostly of other manlets, and 90% of the mma world doesn't care about him at all. just look at attendance numbers and views.

I find Joseph Benavidez a comparable win to Rich Franklin.
John Dodson better then Nate Marquardt
Henry Cejudo a comparable win to Chael Sonnen
Kyoji Horiguchi more risky then Yushin Okami

Like I'm just trying my best to compare, and I don't see this huge divide you are seeing.

Up next Wilson Reis would be something like Thales Leites.

DJ still has work to do, but his current run is very impressive and may still grow.
Okay, so now we do a deeper dive.

Best 10 wins for both fighters:

Anderson Silva:

Chael Sonnen - Finish
Yushin Okami - Finish
Vitor Belfort - Finish
Chael Sonnen - Finish
Demian Maia
Forrest Griffin - Finish
Dan Henderson - Finish
Rich Franklin - Finish
Nate Marquardt - Finish
Rich Franklin - Finish

Demetrious Johnson:

Henry Cejudo - Finish
John Dodson
Kyoji Horiguchi - Finish
Ali Bagautinov
Joseph Benavidez - Finish
John Dodson
Joseph Benavidez
Ian McCall
Miguel Torres
???

I think this proves my point. ??? is because Demetrious doesn't really have a 10 best wins list, the 10th spot cannot even be decided between Cariaso, Moraga, Yamamoto etc. these guys were all very overrated fighters at the time of their fights, Chris and John being guys who really had beaten nobody prior to their shot at the belt.

Anderson finished 9/10 of his best wins, Demetrious finished 3/9.

When I look at Anderson's win list, I see one of the greatest Middleweights to ever fight in Rich Franklin (twice), I see a top 10 fighter of all-time in Dan Henderson, I see legends like Griffin/Belfort and future legends like Maia. Demetrious has an amazing fighter in Benavidez, a very solid guy in Dodson who has the potential to be a great, and then a bunch of rough around the edges, middle of the road fighters like Ali and Kyoji. The records look amazing, but all I see is a bunch of nobodies on their records.

Anderson is just better, better resume, more longevity, fought in 3 weight classes and had success in every class, has iconic finishes, owns the best comeback victory ever. He's just better.

But to be fair to the Great Anderson, he actually started his career at WW, then moved up to MW where he reigned as champion, and fought a couple times at LW. That is THREE different weight classes Anderson has shown dominance. So even if Demetrious breaks Anderson's record, Anderson is more accomplished, for now. But if Demetrious surpasses Anderson's record by a large margin, it will be hard to argue against DJ being greater, regardless if he moves up or not. Records aren't subjective.

What Anderson has accomplished is great for sure, but reigning for years as a champion surpasses moving up to fight. Fighters move up and win all the time but there isn't a fighter alive who can say they have 11 consecutive UFC title defenses. If DJ gets that, he is the only one who can say it.

Anderson has never had to fight with the same size disadvantage DJ has throughout his career, including in his last fight.

20161203104813_GettyImages627535784.JPG

Okay, so now we do a deeper dive.

Best 10 wins for both fighters:

Anderson Silva:

Chael Sonnen - Finish
Yushin Okami - Finish
Vitor Belfort - Finish
Chael Sonnen - Finish
Demian Maia
Forrest Griffin - Finish
Dan Henderson - Finish
Rich Franklin - Finish
Nate Marquardt - Finish
Rich Franklin - Finish

Demetrious Johnson:

Henry Cejudo - Finish
John Dodson
Kyoji Horiguchi - Finish
Ali Bagautinov
Joseph Benavidez - Finish
John Dodson
Joseph Benavidez
Ian McCall
Miguel Torres
???

I think this proves my point. ??? is because Demetrious doesn't really have a 10 best wins list, the 10th spot cannot even be decided between Cariaso, Moraga, Yamamoto etc. these guys were all very overrated fighters at the time of their fights, Chris and John being guys who really had beaten nobody prior to their shot at the belt.

Anderson finished 9/10 of his best wins, Demetrious finished 3/9.

When I look at Anderson's win list, I see one of the greatest Middleweights to ever fight in Rich Franklin (twice), I see a top 10 fighter of all-time in Dan Henderson, I see legends like Griffin/Belfort and future legends like Maia. Demetrious has an amazing fighter in Benavidez, a very solid guy in Dodson who has the potential to be a great, and then a bunch of rough around the edges, middle of the road fighters like Ali and Kyoji. The records look amazing, but all I see is a bunch of nobodies on their records.

Anderson is just better, better resume, more longevity, fought in 3 weight classes and had success in every class, has iconic finishes, owns the best comeback victory ever. He's just better.

Anderson is the better finisher but DJ is more well rounded. In fact DJ is closer in style to GSP, but the fact that he started KO'ing guys or submitting them became an added bonus.

Still finishing 5 out of 9 title defences is pretty dam strong when you consider it's not even his specialty. Not to mention at flyweight which is the hardest division to do so in.

Anyway I see your points and I actually agree that DJ isn't quite there yet. But I also don't see this big divide in competition that you're seeing, and I think that if DJ keeps going on his current route he should rightfully be considered one of the best of all time.

Last edited:
Thats just a myth, though. FLW is deeper than HW by a wide margin and little deeper than LHW. There are more FLW fighters globablly (more competition in that weightclass) than there are at HW and LHW. Thats the only way to look at it objectively, and not to confuse it with the popularity of the divisions.

Globally for sure the lighter weight classes have many moe fighters that HW or LHW. But unlike FW almost every fighter in HW and most in LHW have one punch KO power that can end a fight very quickly with one mistake. Those odds are much smaller the lighter the weight classes get. Other side of that is cardio and skill does seam to get better as well.

This discussion is about Anderson and DJ. Both are UFC fighter's and in the UFC the FW division is pretty shallow. Not to say the the other two are not. As far as the LHW Div is concerned, right now it is a seeker division than it evdr has been. At one time of day it really was the premiere divison of the company..

I think DJ is one of the greats if all time and very much respect him as a fighter. But with nobody being even close to him in the UFC at FW I don't think he'll ever get the respect he deserves. If he moves up a weight class as I said . Hopefully with a few wins over the top guys will cement his legacy.

Anderson
/Landslide

Who he beat and how he beat them also puts him levels above DJ.

I find Joseph Benavidez a comparable win to Rich Franklin.
John Dodson better then Nate Marquardt
Henry Cejudo a comparable win to Chael Sonnen
Kyoji Horiguchi more risky then Yushin Okami

Like I'm just trying my best to compare, and I don't see this huge divide you are seeing.

Up next Wilson Reis would be something like Thales Leites.

DJ still has work to do, but his current run is very impressive and may still grow.
MM hasn't faced anyone as dangerous as Hendo or Vitor. That isn't to say that he wont, but he hasn't yet. It would be very tough to see MM surpassing Anderson simply because the depth of talent isn't there at FLW, so DJ can't prove himself against the same level of competition. Also Anderson had success against good fighters at 168lbs, 185 and 205. That's pretty amazing.

Lastly, Miguel Torres should have won against DJ. That was a terrible decision. That isn't a knock on DJ really, Torres was bigger and way more experienced.

Anderson
/Landslide

Who he beat and how he beat them also puts him levels above DJ.
Anderson has had several of the very best performances in the UFC ever:
- Leben
- Franklin
- Franklin II
- Vitor
- Forrest
- Okami II

He looked unbeatable in those fights.

Back