DJ might break Silva's record, but Silva has 3 huge performances in LHW. Which is more impressive?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Which is more impressive to you? Having the record of consecutive title defenses or a mix of consecutive defenses and challenges in a class above?

Demetrious Johnson: perhaps the most well rounded fighter ever. No holes in the game. If he beats Reis, he makes it 11 defenses and breaks Silva's record.
FrenchRelievedBlackcrappie.gif
02.gif
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Silva: besides his 10 defenses (IMO it should be 11 since it´s not his fault Travis Lutter missed weight.... here, I said it), had the balls to go up a weight class and risked ending his winning streak (nothing to win, everything to lose), and faced 3 LHW and completely destroyed them:

The most incredible performance ever (imo) inside the ufc octagon (perhaps in all MMA) against former LHW Griffin.
bdFLUGk.gif
anderson+silva+forrest+griffin+knockout.gif

Destroyed Bonnar
silva%20finishes%20bonnar.gif

And a complete annihilation of Irvin in a few seconds.
silva%20v%20irvin%20leg%20kick%20counter.gif

In b4 the haters talk about his failed test: fuck off, his legacy was already cemented way before that, so don´t bother.
4r3xhw.jpg

What say you, sherdog? Which is more impressive?

Last edited:
Silva should be upgraded to 11 defenses after they let Holloway fight for the interim title when Pettis came in overweight. MM has 9 defenses btw.

Last edited:
Who cares if he breaks his record. He's fighting midgets. It's nowhere near as dangerous. He could go 20 straight and it would still pale in comparison to the Spider.

Truth is no one cares what dj breaks

DJ certainly doesn't get the respect he deserves. He is an incredible fighter, has fought guys with KO power and dominated them. The issue is the 125 lb decision just isn't as deep as others in the men's divison and DJ hasn't faced as dangerous competition as AS has.

If DJ moved up in weight to 135 and beat Dominic Cruz in a rematch, Dillashaw then faced Cody (or whatever order of the three), beating them. For sure he'd have to be recognized as one of the greatest EVER. If he did that for sure I'd say his legacy would be better than Silva's. There has been talk about it, I'd certainly wat

Steroid questions aside, I think the guy in the deeper talent pool is more impressive.

After breaking Anderson's record he totally could go for the BW belt or take some fights at BW

Silva probably has the best total resume in the sport's very short history, but Irvin wasn't even an impressive win. Irvin wasn't a good fighter. Several of MM's BW wins are better than Irvin.

If were gonna make a big deal about Silva moving up to LHW for fights I guess its worth noting that Johnson has 3 UFC and 3 WEC fights at Bantamweight. With only 1 loss.

Anderson faced tougher competition and a number of those defenses were extremely emphatic wins. DJ has the most complete game on the roster today but far less compelling matchups. Always down to see him fight but can't say I'm super enthusiastic about his squash matches.

Silva probably has the best total resume in the sport's very short history, but Irvin wasn't even an impressive win. Irvin wasn't a good fighter. Several of MM's BW wins are better than Irvin.

How is that? He ruled over a mw division as deep as a puddle. DJ us fighting more skilled and well rounded opponents.

How is that? He ruled over a mw division as deep as a puddle. DJ us fighting more skilled and well rounded opponents.

Elite wins at WW, MW, and LHW (some might argue that his wins over Sakurai and Griffin represent a right place right time type of scenario where the wins are better on paper than in reality, but the fact is both men were deservedly rated high - or, in Sakurai's case, the highest - in their divisions when Silva beat them). Silva's MW division wasn't particularly special (not appreciably better than Johnson's FLW division), but he has wins in other divisions that are very meaningful, and taken all together, that likely gives him the best total resume.

Kind of strange to compare a guy the size of Rose Namajunas to Anderson Silva...

Silva should be upgraded to 11 defenses after they let Pettis fight for the interim title coming in overweight. MM has 9 defenses btw.
If Pettis won he wouldn't have became the interim champ.

DJ certainly doesn't get the respect he deserves. He is an incredible fighter, has fought guys with KO power and dominated them. The issue is the 125 lb decision just isn't as deep as others in the men's divison and DJ hasn't faced as dangerous competition as AS has.

If DJ moved up in weight to 135 and beat Dominic Cruz in a rematch, Dillashaw then faced Cody (or whatever order of the three), beating them. For sure he'd have to be recognized as one of the greatest EVER. If he did that for sure I'd say his legacy would be better than Silva's. There has been talk about it, I'd certainly wat

If he did that he'd be unquestionably the greatest fighter in the very short history of MMA. All three of those men are appreciably bigger and p4p top 10 talents in the sport. I actually could see him potentially beating Cruz and maybe Dillashaw. Not Garbrandt, though.

I'd say both are up there. Dominating your division over years is something that you can only achieve if you're one level above the rest. How many fighters can say that?

It's so much more impressive than grabbing the belt in an undeserved title shot and running away with it.

Anderson all the way. He had the magic.

Back