Did Anybody Give 10-8 On Round 4 in Woodley/Thomson 1?

I just rewatched it and I dont see it. Thompson got rocked and ended up in a submission BUT he fought through it and was on top and scoring for the last 30 seconds. I dont see a 10-8 there.

I scored the fight round 1 and 4 for Woodley and 2,3 and 5 for Thompson. He froze Woodley up in those 3 rounds and outscored him.

He did show a lot of heart not submitting to that BUT...nearly finished? He was always moving and that choke looked good but obviously something was wrong with it to let WB survive. So, nearly finished could just be a bad choke then a headlock,grip change...still dont have it...etc.
Hi Wonderboy's dad

I think you are correct with the scores and your assessment of the fight. The only thing I recall Woodley did in he fight was top position in round 1 and round 4 when he hurt Wonderboy. Aside from that Wonderboy controlled most of the fight and had Woodley backed up, only problem is that he was too tentative and didnt take chances. Without that moment in round 4 Tyron loses that fight........rematch you're gonna see things set right. Wonderboy wont get caught and will make most of his opportunities and get a finish or a UD.

I do have to watch the fight again, only seen it once to see if 4 was a 10-8 or 10-9
People have said this a lot, but it's not true. Tyron likes to fight against the cage, he said he's comfortable there. He also said that part of the game plan with WB was to try and limit his movement so that he couldn't do his karate dancing. That's why he wasn't meeting him in the center of the Octagon. He made WB come to him, and since WB couldn't move like he'd like to, it made him more tentative and more open for Tyron to land his power shots. Tyron made him fight his fight.

Clear 10-8. Could have been a 10-7 under the new system. A different ref could have ended that fight.

People have said this a lot, but it's not true. Tyron likes to fight against the cage, he said he's comfortable there. He also said that part of the game plan with WB was to try and limit his movement so that he couldn't do his karate dancing. That's why he wasn't meeting him in the center of the Octagon. He made WB come to him, and since WB couldn't move like he'd like to, it made him more tentative and more open for Tyron to land his power shots. Tyron made him fight his fight.

Clear 10-8. Could have been a 10-7 under the new system. A different ref could have ended that fight.

I dont know if that was part of his game plan, I personally dont think so. Watching Woodley fight another tall lengthy guy who kicks a lot in Condit we saw the opposite and he was successful. Then watching him fight vs Rory who is also a tall rangy fighter he got trapped against the cage and was lost.....got beaten clearly. Woodley may have said that....but his fights and results show us the opposite. He showed that he cant fight against the cage well vs Rory, he got KOd in that position vs Nate.....and then he plans to fight like that vs Wonderboy who is even better in that position?? Being against the cage is one of the worse positions he could be in and during the fight you can tell he was confused. I think he resorted to fighting against the cage as a hope to land that big punch.....which he did. But I dont think he planned it, I think it was a last resort.

Im gonna watch the fight again to see if my perception is correct and check the 10-8 round.

Last edited:
He wasnt saved by the bell. He was in a dominate position at the end. No 10-8.

A 10-8 is not solely determined by either one fighter being saved by the bell or by the respective position of either fighter at the very end of the round. IMO the fourth round of that fight was a very fair 10-8. I think it is already a bit of a stretch to call the fight a draw, but I understand the argument. But no way in hell did Wonderboy win that fight.

What i saw was a title fight i didnt care for that resulted in a...oh joy. A rematch of the fight nobody wanted.
I wanted that fight. The champ vs the number one contender is always a good match up to make. I'm not much for quick rematches though.

If that's all it takes for a 10-8, how on earth weren't there multiple 10-8's or even 10-7's in the edgar/maynard fights....
There should have been, but judges did a bad job using the ten point must system by being too rigid.

I dont know if that was part of his game plan, I personally dont think so. Watching Woodley fight another tall lengthy guy who kicks a lot in Condit we saw the opposite and he was successful. Then watching him fight vs Rory who is also a tall rangy fighter he got trapped against the cage and was lost.....got beaten clearly. Woodley may have said that....but his fights and results show us the opposite. He showed that he cant fight against the cage well vs Rory, he got KOd in that position vs Nate.....and then he plans to fight like that vs Wonderboy who is even better in that position?? Being against the cage is one of the worse positions he could be in and during the fight you can tell he was confused. I think he resorted to fighting against the cage as a hope to land that big punch.....which he did. But I dont think he planned it, I think it was a last resort.

Im gonna watch the fight again to see if my perception is correct and check the 10-8 round.
Solid post.

It's a tough call for me... But can see arguments for both 9 or 8.

Woodley dominated the round and nearly had Wonderboy finished. Thompson, on the other hand, landed nothing significant and, to be honest, barely even landed anything at all.

More than fair to call that a 10-8 round. The only real requirement for a 10-8 is to have your opponent nearly finished while generally dominating the round and taking very minimum damage yourself.

Fair enough. Fighters say a lot of things, so who knows how much of what is true. I don't know how much, or what kind of preparation he did for Rory and Condit, but before and after the WB fight he talked about the prep and game plan. He talked about bringing in karate guys ( not just Sage) to figure out their movement.
Rory and Condit are tall, lengthy guys, but they don't move at all like WB does, and his movement is key to his success. He was also doing well against Condit fighting his fight.

I don't think fighting against the cage is smart. It makes it look like youre scared to the judges, and it's just not a good position to spend the majority of a fight in due to the danger, but it is something Tyron has done often, and it'd be a weird thing for him to admit to liking to do if it weren't true, so i tend to believe him. I don't think he was really confused, i think he was just waiting for a moment. But that's my opinion

was a perfect draw IMO
1 and 4 Woodley, 4 is a 10-8(if he wouldn't have gone for this guillotine he could potentially have finished it)
2-3-5 for Wonderboy.

Will still favour Wonderboy for the rematch.

compared to the rounds that wonderboy won, you can argue that its a 10-7 lol.

The new scoring/judging is suppose to be more liberal with 10-8's so yeah

While I do think it was close to being stopped at one point, Woodley tried the guillotine too long and Wonderboy came back strong.

Dominant 10-9 but not one sided enough for 10-8

compared to the rounds that wonderboy won, you can argue that its a 10-7 lol.

I want to make my own, adapting rules...

Tyron spent everything trying to get the finish, didn't get it, and had nothing left.

Wonderboy came out with is statistically best round right after. In hindsight, that 4th round did nothing for Tyron but put him in future danger.

Back