Did anybody buy a Nintendo Entertainment System - NES Classic Edition?

And now ironically people are saying the Switch is incredible because it's already sold out.....definitely not a false shortage to generate hype though Derp!

Gamestop/EBGAMES only having 10-15 consoles here in Australia is a joke, of course those 10 to 15 pre orders will be bought up, there are tens of thousands of people surrounding each store. But this in nintendo shill land means the switch is 'a great success' somehow.

I honestly would've dropped $99 on the NES classic as a Christmas gift because I am lazy and it was a convenient gift. Because of their shortage, planned or not, after Christmas I and a couple of friends have completely lost interest. Especially when I found out you can install Homebrew on the Wii and have every nes snes or whatever system rom you want, for free.

All it did was piss me off a bit not being able to get the nes classic when it was a spur of the moment feeling, so now that carries across to the switch. If I wanted one and their bullshit artificial demand meant I got jerked around and missed out on launch day, I would probably just not bother buying one after that.

As it is, their total disregard for consumers is laughable, as is the launch lineup. They would need to have some seriously low console prices, online services with lots of free games, and a non holier than thou attitude toward pre orders and stock availability for me to even be remotely interested in handing them money.

Not to mention the way they screw Australia with grossly inflated digital game prices compared to other countries. The rep on the Nintendo hotlines I called to ask why it cost near double the usa digital game price actually said "Yeah it sucks". That tells you everything you need to know right there.

lol this explains it all.

And now ironically people are saying the Switch is incredible because it's already sold out.....definitely not a false shortage to generate hype though Derp!

Gamestop/EBGAMES only having 10-15 consoles here in Australia is a joke, of course those 10 to 15 pre orders will be bought up, there are tens of thousands of people surrounding each store. But this in nintendo shill land means the switch is 'a great success' somehow.

I honestly would've dropped $99 on the NES classic as a Christmas gift because I am lazy and it was a convenient gift. Because of their shortage, planned or not, after Christmas I and a couple of friends have completely lost interest. Especially when I found out you can install Homebrew on the Wii and have every nes snes or whatever system rom you want, for free.

All it did was piss me off a bit not being able to get the nes classic when it was a spur of the moment feeling, so now that carries across to the switch. If I wanted one and their bullshit artificial demand meant I got jerked around and missed out on launch day, I would probably just not bother buying one after that.

As it is, their total disregard for consumers is laughable, as is the launch lineup. They would need to have some seriously low console prices, online services with lots of free games, and a non holier than thou attitude toward pre orders and stock availability for me to even be remotely interested in handing them money.

Not to mention the way they screw Australia with grossly inflated digital game prices compared to other countries. The rep on the Nintendo hotlines I called to ask why it cost near double the usa digital game price actually said "Yeah it sucks". That tells you everything you need to know right there.

Nintendo sucks. I got an NES classic because I grew up with one, but you'll never catch me buying a Wii U or a Switch or anything else made by them.

Lol at people ITT wasting 60 on a ROM box.

Was the storage capacity 320 kilobytes? They could have put the entire library on a cheap ass SD card l. Instead they try to overvalue their old games and try to market to your nostalgia senses and hope you have your rose colored blinders on when you fork over all that money for old ass games you'll get bored of in 5 minutes and get frustrated with cause the cable is shorter then Peter Dinklage.

Was the storage capacity 320 kilobytes? They could have put the entire library on a cheap ass SD card l. Instead they try to overvalue their old games and try to market to your nostalgia senses and hope you have your rose colored blinders on when you fork over all that money for old ass games you'll get bored of in 5 minutes and get frustrated with cause the cable is shorter then Peter Dinklage.

Is it a rip off? Absolutely, but at the same time it's cheaper than buying a computer and putting emulators on to that. I wanted more than 30 games so I hacked mine to add 52 more. That makes it a bit more worthwhile too.

Oh, and obligatory "you sound poor".

Is it a rip off? Absolutely, but at the same time it's cheaper than buying a computer and putting emulators on to that. I wanted more than 30 games so I hacked mine to add 52 more. That makes it a bit more worthwhile too.

Oh, and obligatory "you sound poor".

Of course. You gotta have the mandatory you sound poor in there.

Because of their shortage, planned or not, after Christmas I and a couple of friends have completely lost interest.
Same. It might as well not exist any more because that short moment of "oh, that'd make a great gift!" has passed.

The weird thing is with the NES Classic, is that Nintendo is essentially still riding on their success of over 25 years ago. The Nintendo of today isn't that same high benchmark that it was with NES/SNES and, N64 to a lesser extent. So knowing that their old titles are probably their most popular, logic would suggest they'd have the Classic properly produced and shipped to meet demands.

The way they handled the classic, to me, suggests one of two things: 1) Nintendo has no fucking clue who their market is or what they want or what their reputation is, or 2) They intentionally created the shortage.

On the one hand, I know Nintendo is out of touch and incompetent, but it's hard to believe they could have so little understanding of how to handle the Classic.

I think when they had that massive success with Wii, it didn't cost them much marketing or anything and it basically spread through word of mouth. They are still trying to recreate that and it's not going to happen. Wii was a fluke and I think if Nintendo ever wants to even come close to that success again, it's going to take hard work in the sense of proper marketing and delivering quality content, I just don't think they're that aware of it.

Where were you when i was scratching my head at people going ape shit over this?

And major LOL at the guy saying it costs more to make a computer to het an emulator to play the roms. YEAH. I dont have a computer, thats already capable of NES roms. No, i am going to go buy or build a computer for it.

And yes Hyperglide, i agree about getting bored. My only friend that loves pissing money away wanted this thing. He got it, played it for an hour, maybe 2, "havent touched it since."

Nintendo is just living off recycling the same 3 games for 30 years.

I get it, I love supwrmarioworld too. But any other company makes 3 or 4 games like assassin's creed or gears of war and they get shat on.

Nintendo makes over 100 and get a free pass because it's so "innovative"! The only innovative thing is how they're getting fans to defend them and then spend in Australia at least $667 just to play zelda when the Switch releases.

Same. It might as well not exist any more because that short moment of "oh, that'd make a great gift!" has passed.

The weird thing is with the NES Classic, is that Nintendo is essentially still riding on their success of over 25 years ago. The Nintendo of today isn't that same high benchmark that it was with NES/SNES and, N64 to a lesser extent. So knowing that their old titles are probably their most popular, logic would suggest they'd have the Classic properly produced and shipped to meet demands.

The way they handled the classic, to me, suggests one of two things: 1) Nintendo has no fucking clue who their market is or what they want or what their reputation is, or 2) They intentionally created the shortage.

On the one hand, I know Nintendo is out of touch and incompetent, but it's hard to believe they could have so little understanding of how to handle the Classic.

I think when they had that massive success with Wii, it didn't cost them much marketing or anything and it basically spread through word of mouth. They are still trying to recreate that and it's not going to happen. Wii was a fluke and I think if Nintendo ever wants to even come close to that success again, it's going to take hard work in the sense of proper marketing and delivering quality content, I just don't think they're that aware of it.

Where were you when i was scratching my head at people going ape shit over this?

And major LOL at the guy saying it costs more to make a computer to het an emulator to play the roms. YEAH. I dont have a computer, thats already capable of NES roms. No, i am going to go buy or build a computer for it.

And yes Hyperglide, i agree about getting bored. My only friend that loves pissing money away wanted this thing. He got it, played it for an hour, maybe 2, "havent touched it since."

I assume the "lol at the guy" was referring to me. I wasn't suggesting that anyone needed to build a computer that could run emulators. I know basically any computer could run them. I meant that buying the NES classic was cheaper for me than a buying ANY computer, period. I don't have a computer at home. I have a desktop at work, and my wife has her MacBook that I don't touch.

I assume the "lol at the guy" was referring to me. I wasn't suggesting that anyone needed to build a computer that could run emulators. I know basically any computer could run them. I meant that buying the NES classic was cheaper for me than a buying ANY computer, period. I don't have a computer at home. I have a desktop at work, and my wife has her MacBook that I don't touch.

Do you have a smart phone?

Do you have a smart phone?

Yes, but I don't play games on it. I know what you're getting at, but if I'm going to want to play a game I'd prefer to set up shop on the couch and play it on the TV the same way I do with my PS4.

Yes, but I don't play games on it. I know what you're getting at, but if I'm going to want to play a game I'd prefer to set up shop on the couch and play it on the TV the same way I do with my PS4.

Id rather play nes with a controller too.

Just going above and beyond to play more games on the nes classic is 1 thing for you. Id have to say youre rhe exception, not the rule.

Most peeps have computers and most games are now streamed.

Id rather play nes with a controller too.

Just going above and beyond to play more games on the nes classic is 1 thing for you. Id have to say youre rhe exception, not the rule.

Most peeps have computers and most games are now streamed.

Well, I conceded above that it is somewhat of a rip off. However, give my particular circumstances it's not a bad way to relive my childhood gaming days. I also hacked mine to add more games to get more bang for my buck. But I can't necessarily recommend it to anyone that's already a PC gamer, that's for sure. But the cost isn't even that high - about a dozen cups of Starbucks, or one new release on PS4.

My brother picked one up too, and he lets his 4 and 5 year old sons play with it. Probably preferable than letting them anywhere near his computer because my nephews are destructive hellions. So it works for him.

Fuck that i have my OG NES. why the fuck would i want that thing?

Still waiting for the SNES Classic, so I'll pass on this one.

Still waiting for the SNES Classic, so I'll pass on this one.

nevermind, thought this was a 1985 version thread, this looks cool though.

Still not available any where. On Amazon.ca, they are being resold for $300.

I'm genuinely curious why Nintendo released a product they had no intent of making available to consumers.

I also wonder if they held back a bit because they didn't want it to affect Switch sales at all.

It certainly leaves a very jaded view towards the switch. More false shortages is goofy. It's hilarious they continue to rely on this method.

Back