Destiny 2, v2: Now grinding for Bright Engrams

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the stream happened today :

-New content on Mars called "Infinite Forest" which seems kind of like PoE? Looks like it's the Vex simulation of time and reality and supposedly it changes every time you go in there.

-Raid : not a new raid but there will be new raid encounters and a new boss inside the Leviathan. They are calling them "Raid Lairs" so we'll get one with this DLC and another one with the next DLC.

-New light cap will be 330 or 335 with mods
-New weapons / armor / etc

-Heroic Strike Playlist is coming back

Overall seems pretty basic... guess we'll wait and see what happens but it looks like the Leviathan will be the only raid location for all of year 1. Guess it makes sense for developers but not very exciting for the players. These new "raid lairs" are supposed to be shorter / faster than the normal Leviathan raid, but they are supposedly more difficult as well.

this Mars thing is that what that other company did that Bungie brought during D1 to work on that was going to be part of the original game but never made it?

I hope they make strikes worth doing again. Heroic strikes better be worth it.

strike specific loot like destiny 1

Yep. I'd like a bit of random rolls on some guns too, or at least some variants besides arc/solar/void.

I am tired of getting only blue engrams from strikes as well. I'm 300+ on both characters, so why give me blue engrams? At least make it legendary, and a random exotic here and there.

And I'd like to be able to buy awesome stuff from vendors, not just green items. Why can't Ikora, Zavala, etc. sell killer stuff for a lot of dough like they did?

Yep. I'd like a bit of random rolls on some guns too, or at least some variants besides arc/solar/void.

I am tired of getting only blue engrams from strikes as well. I'm 300+ on both characters, so why give me blue engrams? At least make it legendary, and a random exotic here and there.

And I'd like to be able to buy awesome stuff from vendors, not just green items. Why can't Ikora, Zavala, etc. sell killer stuff for a lot of dough like they did?
Fixed rolls are a huge mistake. All these vendors could be selling random rolled weapons and resetting each week. Literally impossible not to get a God roll from the game fast. Gun smith, crucible, ikora, Hawthorne, cayde, factions, literally all vendors that could be resetting and selling gear for legendary shards. The game literally gives us many more ways to get loot but without any loot. Seems like the loot system was designed for random rolls because we get everything fairly easy. Like I farmed fwc for my faction and got around 10 scouts and 10 pulses, would have been dope if these were random rolls. I would have been way more excited grinding this shit. Also, crucible weapon bounties in d1 were great. Example: pulse rifle bounty- get 50 pulse kills in PvP in return for a random rolled pulse. (Actually got a God roll hawksaw from these)

Last edited:
I am the minority: I like the fixed rolls.

Fixed Rolls :

I'm not going to lie, when the game first came out and everybody was still figuring shit out, I thought fixed rolls worked pretty well. It's also not a big deal when you're leveling and who cares if you get a duplicate because there's a chance it's a higher power level so you can still make use of it. But once you hit max level and have your small stash of weapons you like, fixed rolls are the death of the game. I was arguing this point on Reddit a while back where people were trying to suggest that the Mod system could be used in place of random rolls. I just don't think so... same thing will happen. People will get their favorite weapon, put their favorite Mod on it, and now they're back to having nothing to chase. Even when I had my own personal "god rolled" scout rifle when another version would drop sometimes I would find the perk combinations interesting and wanted to try them out. I usually had a "god roll" for PvE and another for PvP. Took me a long time to figure it all out but once I did it certainly helped.

Random rolls are absolutely the only way to go in a game like this. I haven't played in a couple of weeks because I just got bored with the game, and rather than keep on playing and bitching I just switched it off. Truth be told Knights of the Old Republic was just released on Xbox One (backwards compatability) and I had to get in there and give that another run through.

I am the minority: I like the fixed rolls.

Can you explain WHY you like them and how they have made the game better in your opinion? Not breaking balls but I really can't see how they make the game better in any shape / form / fashion.

I hope they make strikes worth doing again. Heroic strikes better be worth it.

When it comes to Bungie I've learned to manage my expectations. Looking at the stream it was showing no modifiers and the rewards were rare and legendary gear.

This may have been an unfinished "test environment" so it might be nothing to worry about, but right now I'm kind of concerned. I also am not a fan of these "raid lairs" as we'll be doing raids on the Leviathan for the entirety of Year 1. I can see how it's better than them rushing out a buggy raid but that's not really our issue as fans : we give them money for more content. Datto put out a good video discussing this all and he is also of the opinion that most of the "quality of life" stuff we have all been asking for won't show up with this DLC. We'll see, but I'm being very cautious right now.

I haven't done the raid at all, so I have no opinion on the lairs. Datto's thoughts on it, as well as others, say that it could be a good thing, but we all wish there was a new raid instead. If it becomes essentially a new giant portion of a raid, it could be good.

I'm more interested in nightfall variation (I hate the varying damage mods and making it timed), as well as heroic strikes being worth anything.

Fixed Rolls :

I'm not going to lie, when the game first came out and everybody was still figuring shit out, I thought fixed rolls worked pretty well. It's also not a big deal when you're leveling and who cares if you get a duplicate because there's a chance it's a higher power level so you can still make use of it. But once you hit max level and have your small stash of weapons you like, fixed rolls are the death of the game. I was arguing this point on Reddit a while back where people were trying to suggest that the Mod system could be used in place of random rolls. I just don't think so... same thing will happen. People will get their favorite weapon, put their favorite Mod on it, and now they're back to having nothing to chase. Even when I had my own personal "god rolled" scout rifle when another version would drop sometimes I would find the perk combinations interesting and wanted to try them out. I usually had a "god roll" for PvE and another for PvP. Took me a long time to figure it all out but once I did it certainly helped.

Random rolls are absolutely the only way to go in a game like this. I haven't played in a couple of weeks because I just got bored with the game, and rather than keep on playing and bitching I just switched it off. Truth be told Knights of the Old Republic was just released on Xbox One (backwards compatability) and I had to get in there and give that another run through.

I agree. Fixed rolls are great until you hit level 20 and 300 power (or 270 power). I wonder if they could make the rolls fixed until then for each character, then do random rolls after that for variation, because that would be great.

Fixed Rolls :

They could easily fix this for fixed rolls though.

1. Increase the number of weapons and gear drastically
2. Instead of complete random rolls, provide 2-3 variants of each legendary and exotic weapons with either different perks or stats. Obviously there will be preferred variants but this could be a solid solution for fixed rolls. So it will be semi-fixed.

But either way, we would need to drastically increase our stash space. I can't believe we are struggling with space cap. Why the fuck do we not have a separate complete stash for all our mods/ships/vehicles and so forth...

I am not thrilled with the Leviathan raid 1.3 (lairs). Screams of laziness or convenience. I also hate the setting of the raid. So we are in this big ship fuckin' around with Calus's toys. WTF? Does this sound epic to you? You have EDZ, Titan, Nessus, and IO and now Mercury but the next raid is back on the Leviathan... shiaaattt...

Fixed rolls are a huge mistake. All these vendors could be selling random rolled weapons and resetting each week. Literally impossible not to get a God roll from the game fast. Gun smith, crucible, ikora, Hawthorne, cayde, factions, literally all vendors that could be resetting and selling gear for legendary shards. The game literally gives us many more ways to get loot but without any loot. Seems like the loot system was designed for random rolls because we get everything fairly easy. Like I farmed fwc for my faction and got around 10 scouts and 10 pulses, would have been dope if these were random rolls. I would have been way more excited grinding this shit. Also, crucible weapon bounties in d1 were great. Example: pulse rifle bounty- get 50 pulse kills in PvP in return for a random rolled pulse. (Actually got a God roll hawksaw from these)
that last patch they did that brought the weekly reset to vendors gear and PvP weapon bounties plus the weekly gunsmith packages was good. There was always a shit ton of shit rolls but that made getting the good rolls even better. The only thing that could've made it better would've been perma space aids.

They could easily fix this for fixed rolls though.

1. Increase the number of weapons and gear drastically
2. Instead of complete random rolls, provide 2-3 variants of each legendary and exotic weapons with either different perks or stats. Obviously there will be preferred variants but this could be a solid solution for fixed rolls. So it will be semi-fixed.

But either way, we would need to drastically increase our stash space. I can't believe we are struggling with space cap. Why the fuck do we not have a separate complete stash for all our mods/ships/vehicles and so forth...

I am not thrilled with the Leviathan raid 1.3 (lairs). Screams of laziness or convenience. I also hate the setting of the raid. So we are in this big ship fuckin' around with Calus's toys. WTF? Does this sound epic to you? You have EDZ, Titan, Nessus, and IO and now Mercury but the next raid is back on the Leviathan... shiaaattt...

The problem with increasing the number of weapons / gear is that people are only comfortable using a certain amount of weapons. Datto did a good video on this and it turns out that only about 15% of the weapons available are considered "good" and are used by the community. So even if they introduce a ton of new weapons 85% of them are going to be auto-dismantled anyways.

I don't mind the 2-3 variants, but how is that any better than just random rolls in general? I'm just looking at the big picture here and Bungie tried fixed rolls and it really didn't work. At this time I feel that random rolls offers so much more to the game... after the 2nd week just about every single weapon was an auto-dismantle... there is nothing to get excited about when I turn in a ton of engrams. Hell, I don't even bother getting my engrams from the underbelly of the ship because I'm not searching for anything... I'm not sure 2 or 3 variants would really keep my excited for grinding the game.

The raid I'm not happy about either... I would be OK if they added raid lairs but also gave us a new raid as kind of a way to give us more content. I recognize that's a ton of work for the developers but tough shit... we're paying them for new content.

What are you guys talking about Luke Smith said static rolls were the right decision and that he views Destiny as a collection game. I mean, you have to choose your collection items carefully because there isn't enough room in the vault, but come on, Luke Smith couldn't possibly be wrong, right?!

What are you guys talking about Luke Smith said static rolls were the right decision and that he views Destiny as a collection game. I mean, you have to choose your collection items carefully because there isn't enough room in the vault, but come on, Luke Smith couldn't possibly be wrong, right?!
yet most the "collection items" exotics, emblems, ect can just be deleted and reacquired through the vault agian freeing up space for all my better devils.

I'm really surprised vault space is such a big issue for people. I guess I just have no desire to collect a bunch of shit I'm never going to use like others do. Same for shaders... I have no issue deleting shaders that I hate and will never use... I just can't understand why people want to have huge collections of shit they will NEVER use or even have an intention of using.

As for Luke Smith I have a fair amount of respect for the guy. It's obvious that the "big wigs" are in control of the direction of this game and I think Luke is trying to make the game as best as he can within the allowed parameters. Maybe I'm just naive but I can't see how it was his choice to make so many of the decisions that have been made with this game. It just seems out of place for one of the driving forces behind VoG and The Taken King expansion.

I wish there was more mod space. I run out of space for those all the time. Why can't we have a trade-in system where you can trade in so many solar items for a solar +5 item, even if they don't match? "Oh you have 10 various solar items, trade them in for one of these 3 solar +5 items instead" would be great to see.

And collecting, yeah, I don't care about that. I don't need to collect all the ships or all the banners, etc. I think most people feel the same way. I delete shaders often enough, especially the ugly base level green ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back