Demetrious Johnson grappling style is catch wrestling

Every body knows that when submissions are being taught, it was taught by some BJJ fart in that MMA gym you pay $300 a month to.

Any one find it interesting he's subbed 1 guy since 2009, Hume puts BJJ classes in his gym a few months ago and BAM!!:eek: submission win baby! Simple, BJJ works.:icon_neut

Last edited:
I know one thing, his game was tight. Takedowns, passing, and a slick finish.

OP is more or less right.

ITT buttannoyed BJJ players who think that BJJ is allowed to adopt techniques from other martial arts and still be called BJJ but no other martial art is.

#BJJlifestyle #SameOldShit #MyLineageMeansSomethingAndYoursDoesnt #KeepItPlayfulBros

Grappling is grappling and submissions are submissions, I dont think you need a belt in any art to use it.

Of course not. I think it's more about history and lineage. People assume by him saying I only have a white belt in BJJ he means he studied BJJ but just hasn't been tested or rewarded in the art of BJJ, that's not what he is saying. He is saying he literally didn't learn his submission game from BJJ.

So when Hoger and Maia sub someone in the UFC there style is MMA? What about Honda and her Judo armbars, MMA?

Mighty Mouse hasn't said what his style is, he's stated no allegiances, other than possibly being a fighter under Matt Hume.

Often when a high profile jiu jitsu guy competes and succeeds in MMA, he doesn't shy from repping his background. He also has success in the sport version of his background art. Why should those that claim Catch Wrestling (or over eager fanboys claiming it on their behalf) get a pass on this, when if someone claims Folkstyle, Freestyle, Greco-Roman etc wrestling, there's competition in that sport to back that up? Same goes for someone repping Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Karate, even Sambo etc.

Johnson is a Mixed Martial Artist who's adept in both striking, clinch fighting and ground fighting.

(or over eager fanboys claiming it on their behalf)

:icon_chee

They get a pass IMO because they are different arts represented differently. Why should guys with Catch lineage be held to BJJ standards?

Johnson is a Mixed Martial Artist who's adept in both striking, clinch fighting and ground fighting
Yes he is.

Last edited:
. He also has success in the sport version of his background art. .

oh and thanks for bolding this. You know good and well there hasnt been a "sport version" of CACC available. A few are sorta popping up now and then, but nothing worth noting.

I guess Barnett isn't Catch then cause he does BJJ themed grappling tournies instead of all these Catch ones you suggest.

Either way I won't be responding in circles with you in this thread. I understand your thoughts and simply disagree.

No biggie, no name calling:p

To my eyes mighty mouse's ground approach looked like bjj, though I knew AMC wasn't a "Bjj " school. However, I really haven't seen a lot of catch style ground game except for some of the MMA guys like Sakuraba, Shamrocks, Barnett. Are the grappling styles close enough to look pretty similar?

In all honesty what does catch even look like?

in old days catch was associated with pins and subs, one couldn't be on their backs because of the rules. I see no catch, bjj or sambo. I only see grappling because the rules dont dictate any differences

To my eyes mighty mouse's ground approach looked like bjj, though I knew AMC wasn't a "Bjj " school. However, I really haven't seen a lot of catch style ground game except for some of the MMA guys like Sakuraba, Shamrocks, Barnett. Are the grappling styles close enough to look pretty similar?

IMO, grappling is grappling. There are only so many ways to twist, crank and choke the human body. There is a reason many different cultures used very similar wrestling/grappling moves without any cross pollination.

As far as his style it was very Catch influenced IMO, the aggressive takedowns, aggressive guard passing followed quickly by setting into a submission flow keyed off the DWL/Kimura grip. Giving up submission attempts to either stay on top or stand back up.

There was one instance toward the end of the third where he stepped over for the DWL/Kimura, stayed on top for awhile then feel back and as soon as he realized he didn't have it he right away used the hold to pull his hips out and get back up rather than hold the submission and stay on his back.

Just after this he gets taken down off a nice single leg switched to a far side knee tap and lands with Maraga in his guard with a guillotine/front headlock locked up, again instead of falling back for the sub attempt he uses the hold to pull his hips out and stand back up.

Also the standing guillotine/front choke in one of the earlier rounds instead of jumping guard to lock the choke up.

These are all staples of Frank Shamrocks grappling, Frank and Hume have similar grappling lineage.

Maybe KJ could shed some better light on this.

Last edited:
In all honesty what does catch even look like?

See the above post.:D

in old days catch was associated with pins and subs, one couldn't be on their backs because of the rules. I see no catch, bjj or sambo. I only see grappling because the rules dont dictate any differences

I agree in a way, I think this is part of KJ's beef.

Maybe fighters should be allowed to speak for themselves, and not have labels forced upon them (often unknowingly)?

IMO, grappling is grappling. There are only so many ways to twist, crank and choke the human body. There is a reason many different cultures used very similar wrestling/grappling moves without any cross pollination.

As far as his style it was very Catch influenced IMO, the aggressive takedowns, aggressive guard passing followed quickly by setting into a submission flow keyed off the DWL/Kimura grip. Giving up submission attempts to either stay on top or stand back up.

Thanks. I agree that there really isn't a lot differnce in technique, but training methods and the strategy, the cornerstone of bjj strategy being postional dominance, but that might not be unique either.
The real story out of this is probably the concentration of talent that came from Pancrase. Am I correct in saying a lot of the fighters did a lot of training with/under Funaki at the same dojo? I'm fascinated by those "talent hot spots" like a Gracie Barra in the nineties with a concentration of so many legends and great fighters in one academy.

Back