Demetrious Johnson grappling style is catch wrestling

Good necro. I love how when a BJJ guy gets a submission, it shows the power of BJJ. If someone from another style gets a sub over a BJJ guy, "it's all grappling".

Matt Hume is a great coach. I'm surprised more people don't make the move to train with him.

And Mighty Mouse was announced as a pancration fighter last night, so everyone is wrong.

Matt Hume is a great coach. I'm surprised more people don't make the move to train with him.

And Mighty Mouse was announced as a pancration fighter last night, so everyone is wrong.

Cause Hume literally calls his gym AMC Pankration.

Also Pancrase.

Cause Hume literally calls his gym AMC Pankration.

Also Pancrase.

Sorry my funny didn't come through; the name is what I was trying to hinge the joke on.

Along those lines, who else is training there? Bibiano Fernandes is the only other guy I can think of.

Sorry my funny didn't come through; the name is what I was trying to hinge the joke on.

Along those lines, who else is training there? Bibiano Fernandes is the only other guy I can think of.

Icu.

Im not sure; the sherdog entry has hardly two pages worth of guys (including Hume himself). You'd think what with having perhaps the most dominant fighter in any division in the world right now would bring in pilgrims. Really criminally underrated shop compared to farms like ATT of Jackson-Wink (but i suppose if you're a hopeful, that makes it a better deal to get in while its still more personal).

Last edited:
A lot of us care! Still suprised me that with all the BJJ success out there people get bent about proclaiming another art did well.

I was very surprised that anyone made any fuss about this quote at all. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that DJ was basically a Catch wrestler through Hume, and that was the basis of his submission grappling approach. He's a white belt because he never put on a gi and got ranked, not because his submission skills are bad. He's trained for years with Bibi Fernandes at AMC too, it's not as if he has no exposure to great BJJ.

It amused me that there are still a lot of people out there apparently (mostly on reddit) who seem to think BJJ has a monopoly on technical submission oriented mat work.

I am actually skeptical about "catch wrestling", and don't get me wrong ,I am well aware that other martial arts have submissions such as Judo, Sambo, Japanese Submission styles ETC. I have been wrestling since 1984, it wasn't until around 1996/ 1997 when Catch Wrestling became popular, and ironically the two men who popularized the Catch Wrestling craze were Matt Furey, and Tony Checchine, two charlatans. Prior to Furey and Cecchine I had never heard of it, and keep in mind at that time I had been wrestling for over 12 years. I am aware that in a brief window of time Pro Wrestling was real, and submissions were a part of the game, however that window is very small ,it is literally only a couple of years, people got bored and the Fake wrestling was restarted and took over. I am also aware that Catch as Catch Can has been practiced for many years, but it was only in a small local, Wiggan, England. I am far from being a BJJ ass kisser, and I have trained with people who are very good submissions experts who did not come from the BJJ lineage. With that being said, how sophisticated of a system could Catch Wrestling be when it went dormant for 90 years and then reappeared after the popularity of the UFC? (I realize the Wiggan Snake Pit is an exception).

iv trained with a few so called top catch guys it isnt a true system tbh they dont have set techniques positions like bjj or wrestling its basically submission wrestlng they do some weird stuff from what i seen that wouldnt honestly work on guys up to purple with good fundamentals thats been my evaluation i dont see why guys just dont learn from bjj guys even erik paulson does some weird stuff

Catch wrestling is folkstyle without potentially dangerous calls this isn't a hard concept

I was very surprised that anyone made any fuss about this quote at all. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that DJ was basically a Catch wrestler through Hume, and that was the basis of his submission grappling approach. He's a white belt because he never put on a gi and got ranked, not because his submission skills are bad. He's trained for years with Bibi Fernandes at AMC too, it's not as if he has no exposure to great BJJ.

It amused me that there are still a lot of people out there apparently (mostly on reddit) who seem to think BJJ has a monopoly on technical submission oriented mat work.
Dude it never ends. There's a guy at my gym that is an old school blue belt honestly close to purple that thinks Jon Jones Jones has purple belt skills. It's absurd because my instructor is a world-class black belt tbat says of course Jon Jones has black belt skills.

iv trained with a few so called top catch guys it isnt a true system tbh they dont have set techniques positions like bjj or wrestling its basically submission wrestlng they do some weird stuff from what i seen that wouldnt honestly work on guys up to purple with good fundamentals thats been my evaluation i dont see why guys just dont learn from bjj guys even erik paulson does some weird stuff
I hope none of the stuff as weird as your punctuation conventions

I am actually skeptical about "catch wrestling", and don't get me wrong ,I am well aware that other martial arts have submissions such as Judo, Sambo, Japanese Submission styles ETC. I have been wrestling since 1984, it wasn't until around 1996/ 1997 when Catch Wrestling became popular, and ironically the two men who popularized the Catch Wrestling craze were Matt Furey, and Tony Checchine, two charlatans. Prior to Furey and Cecchine I had never heard of it, and keep in mind at that time I had been wrestling for over 12 years. I am aware that in a brief window of time Pro Wrestling was real, and submissions were a part of the game, however that window is very small ,it is literally only a couple of years, people got bored and the Fake wrestling was restarted and took over. I am also aware that Catch as Catch Can has been practiced for many years, but it was only in a small local, Wiggan, England. I am far from being a BJJ ass kisser, and I have trained with people who are very good submissions experts who did not come from the BJJ lineage. With that being said, how sophisticated of a system could Catch Wrestling be when it went dormant for 90 years and then reappeared after the popularity of the UFC? (I realize the Wiggan Snake Pit is an exception).
From the Frank Gotch era (1900s decade) until the 30s seems to be the window when catch was not fixed most of the time and included submissions. I agree that we should be sceptic of lineage, but at least we know there are a few legit guys. Btw is Matt Furey the American college wrestler who traveled to china to learn chinese folk wrestling and bring it to america? Wouldnt be surprised if a guy like that had looked into catch.

They use strikes to set up their grappling...
which used to a standard part of the BJJ curriculum so I don't know what your point is.

EDIT: wow, didn't realise I was posting in a zombie.

From the Frank Gotch era (1900s decade) until the 30s seems to be the window when catch was not fixed most of the time and included submissions. I agree that we should be sceptic of lineage, but at least we know there are a few legit guys. Btw is Matt Furey the American college wrestler who traveled to china to learn chinese folk wrestling and bring it to america? Wouldnt be surprised if a guy like that had looked into catch.

Gotch is legit, but he is among a very few. That is the Matt Furey you are thinking about, in all seriousness he was a decent collegiate wrestler, but he is a charlatan and a bullshit artist. In the mid 90's he made tapes about the lost art of Catch Wrestling.

Gotch is legit, but he is among a very few. That is the Matt Furey you are thinking about, in all seriousness he was a decent collegiate wrestler, but he is a charlatan and a bullshit artist. In the mid 90's he made tapes about the lost art of Catch Wrestling.

Catch wrestling in the US hasn't been a real thing for many years as far as I can tell. The only people, more or less, who have a legit claim to be real Catch wrestlers are a few English guys and a bunch of Japanese guys and people who learned submission wrestling in Japan like Hume did. DJ's Catch creds are legit, but only because his lineage comes from Japan and ultimately Gotch through Hume.

Hume views himself more as a boxing trainer than a typical MMA gym owner. He intentionally keeps his fighter base small so he can give them all a lot of personal attention.

Hume views himself more as a boxing trainer than a typical MMA gym owner. He intentionally keeps his fighter base small so he can give them all a lot of personal attention.
I did a double take when I first read your post. I initially thought you were saying that Hume sees himself as a boxing trainer mainly, in that he was teaching MM primarily boxing. As in, MM submission game was from boxing rather than catch or some other type of grappling. Then I read your second sentence and realized what you actually meant.

We've had people claiming that karate, or kung fu had hidden grappling techniques for years. It would be refreshing to see someone claim that they uncovered secret grappling techniques hidden in boxing. That would be good for a laugh for sure.

Back