Demetrious Johnson grappling style is catch wrestling

Hume views himself more as a boxing trainer than a typical MMA gym owner. He intentionally keeps his fighter base small so he can give them all a lot of personal attention.

I went to Hume's gym to film a Randy Couture training session about ten years ago. Maurice Smith was something of a 2nd in command at the time. It was a pretty low key place, and Hume came across more as a Greg Jackson head coach type rather than a direct 1-1 trainer. I think the low key nature of Hume's personality affects how he runs his team.

^^^

Josh Barnett.

This is kind of like how in the state of CA only an MD can declare a person dead unless the body is decapitated. This gets weird when a first responder tries to do CPR on a body, they cannot legally stop doing cpr on a corpse because only an MD can decide they are dead, even though its clear.

A black belt had to give Barnett a black belt even though he was clearly at black belt level.

Isn't Barnett's base art BJJ? That's what he was rocking when he won the UFC title.

From the Frank Gotch era (1900s decade) until the 30s seems to be the window when catch was not fixed most of the time and included submissions. I agree that we should be sceptic of lineage, but at least we know there are a few legit guys. Btw is Matt Furey the American college wrestler who traveled to china to learn chinese folk wrestling and bring it to america? Wouldnt be surprised if a guy like that had looked into catch.

Furey is a sketchy piece of shit and "alleged" con artist. There's a famous letter from Karl Gotch where he rips Furey's integrity apart using hilarious old-timey circuis slang.

No he's got an honorific bb, reps the catch flag...

No, i know he reps catch, but he started as a BJJ guy. He won the UFC title with it, no? Anyone know what his BJJ rank was when he still trained it?

No, i know he reps catch, but he started as a BJJ guy. He won the UFC title with it, no? Anyone know what his BJJ rank was when he still trained it?

He didnt start as a bjj guy, he started as a catch wrestler..

He has never let trained in the gi, that's why his bb is honorific

..but he started as a BJJ guy...

1462585460365.png

I feel you can't really give any particular grappling style credit when it comes to an MMA fighter. These guys are mixing all sorts of different styles and coming up with their own brands. Same goes for standup

He didnt start as a bjj guy, he started as a catch wrestler..

I guess i was wrong. I thought he was primarily bjj before finding Hume, but the internet tells me that all he had was a bit of wrestling, judo and karate before Hume.

Josh himself posted most of his training history in the catch wrestling sticky at the top of this forum when he was pawning Dan the Wolfman. Fantastically entertaining read btw.

Didn't Barnett compete in the gi more than in catch wrestling?

He is more accomplished as a gi grappler (he tapped Otavio Sousa) than as a catch wrestler.

He is more accomplished as a gi grappler (he tapped Otavio Sousa) than as a catch wrestler.
If he did, I'm sure it's because of an abundance of BJJ comps and almost non-existence of CACC comps.

I did a double take when I first read your post. I initially thought you were saying that Hume sees himself as a boxing trainer mainly, in that he was teaching MM primarily boxing. As in, MM submission game was from boxing rather than catch or some other type of grappling. Then I read your second sentence and realized what you actually meant.

We've had people claiming that karate, or kung fu had hidden grappling techniques for years. It would be refreshing to see someone claim that they uncovered secret grappling techniques hidden in boxing. That would be good for a laugh for sure.

Boxers used to wrestle a lot more. As the Thais can tell you, there's a real art to wrestling with strikes involved. But the modern rules of boxing don't allow for very much wrestling, and the attached thumb on the glove makes some old time wrestling impossible. Joe Louis, for example, used to literally grab peoples' wrists, jerk them to the side, and hit them. Doesn't work so well now, though you can still glove swipe like Lomachenko.

No, he did 1 competition, he showed up landed a gi and tapped souza, he ll he almost beat Romulo too, he fucked up Romulos ankle with a. Toe hold, that as far as I know was his only gi tournament.

Back