Demetrious Johnson grappling style is catch wrestling

Locoplata

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to make a note.

1. During the post fight press conference, DJ was saying how he was a white belt in jiu jitsu. How he used his wrestling to get to his submissions.

2. In the fight introduction, Dj was introduced as a "pancration fighter" which refers to amc pankration, which was started by Matt Hume. (who fought most of his career in Pancrase)

3. Matt Hume, DJ's coach, is a shoot wrestler. (Japanese catch wrestling)

4. Dj was going for submissions with reckless abandon!!:icon_twis
(after he passed the guard :icon_chee)

I think you misunderstood what DJ was saying in that press conference answer. He wasn't saying that his submissions are from wrestling, but rather that he is unskilled in BJJ, so his setups and positions are from a wrestling style rather than a submission based style.

The answer was in response to his ability to finish fights on the ground, so he was basically admitting that he isn't terribly skilled at setting up submissions just yet, but he'll go for it if he finds himself in a position to grab one.

That said...who cares? Just grapple.

I think you misunderstood what DJ was saying in that press conference answer. He wasn't saying that his submissions are from wrestling, but rather that he is unskilled in BJJ, so his setups and positions are from a wrestling style rather than a submission based style.

The answer was in response to his ability to finish fights on the ground, so he was basically admitting that he isn't terribly skilled at setting up submissions just yet, but he'll go for it if he finds himself in a position to grab one.

That said...who cares? Just grapple.

Agreed.

So what about is Jon Jones?
He is a white belt in BJJ and he taps BJJ bb like its no big deal, what do you call him?

But what DJ was saying is that he uses his wrestling to get to the submissions rather than approach like its BJJ technical shit, he just bash through it liek a mofo!

Agreed.

So what about is Jon Jones?
He is a white belt in BJJ and he taps BJJ bb like its no big deal, what do you call him?

But what DJ was saying is that he uses his wrestling to get to the submissions rather than approach like its BJJ technical shit, he just bash through it liek a mofo!

I would just call him someone who has made more progress learning setups that end in submissions.

Also, he really only gets subs after dishing out some seriously brutal damage...so I don't know if what I said even holds true.

most guys in mma are some mix of all grappling styles. quit trying to start a style vs style shitstorm.

i find it embarrassing when elite level fighters with elite level grappling skills call themselves white belts in jiujitsu. (or blue belts, jon jones.)

i find it embarrassing when elite level fighters with elite level grappling skills call themselves white belts in jiujitsu. (or blue belts, jon jones.)

How is it embarrassing? BJJ belts (or Judo belts) have particular requirements in techniques known, time trained and competition experience. A guy may have years (decades, even) experience in wrestling, but have never stepped onto the mat in any sort of BJJ training session. What right, then, does he have to claim he's anything but a white belt?

If a proper instructor wants to give him a higher ranking, that's something else, but till then, he's a white belt.

^^^

Josh Barnett.

This is kind of like how in the state of CA only an MD can declare a person dead unless the body is decapitated. This gets weird when a first responder tries to do CPR on a body, they cannot legally stop doing cpr on a corpse because only an MD can decide they are dead, even though its clear.

A black belt had to give Barnett a black belt even though he was clearly at black belt level.

Grappling is grappling and submissions are submissions, I dont think you need a belt in any art to use it.

No, they just recently added BJJ at AMC (Hunes) in the past couple months. So DJ's grappling is from Hume who wrestled in college and learned Catch submissions in Japan.

That said...who cares? Just grapple

A lot of us care! Still suprised me that with all the BJJ success out there people get bent about proclaiming another art did well.

His base is wrestling, and he's learned his submission game from a Catch Wrestler (Hume). While he may not claim Catch, he's involved in it's lineage, certainly.

i wanna see him roll with fernandes. i bet those workouts are fucking insane.

Regardless he is a monster on the ground. Some guys are simply aggressive on the ground. I like repeated kumra attempts - makes it real hard to throw punches with much power

His lineage is straight sparta 300: #pancrasealldaybaby.

#pankrationisbetterthankimuratrap.

End of the thread

Back