#DeleteFacebook

Wait. So is #deletefacebook a twitter movement to encourage people to delete facebook? If so, then it’s pretty gay. If not, it’s even gayer.

It's like I'm the only person in the world still reading Terms of Service before signing up to something.

The recent scandal with Cambridge Analytica.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/21/cambridge-analytica-facebook-data-users-profit
Lots of problems associated with companies like facebook having so much knowledge about peoples private lives. It turned out that bots generated most or the majority of posts talking about the elections and fake news got bumped to the top instead of proper real news. And Facebook's promise about privacy is nothing more than a pinky swear with third partys. And thats not even half of it.

Unfortunately its hard to just dump facebook and even using fake accounts with fake personal info will not protect you from fake news bots/ads once they use your friends-list.

When you use those stupid game apps that need permission to see your friends list and personal details you give away that info.

It's a choice. I tell my friends they're idiots to use shit that shows what they look like as a woman or tells them what friend they're in love with or some such bullshit. It's so fucking obvious.

I also don't use Facebook for news, or adverts. Just to connect with people. For that it's very useful.

Let's start with #deleteyoursherdogaccount

giphy.gif

When you use those stupid game apps that need permission to see your friends list and personal details you give away that info.

It's a choice. I tell my friends they're idiots to use shit that shows what they look like as a woman or tells them what friend they're in love with or some such bullshit. It's so fucking obvious.

I also don't use Facebook for news, or adverts. Just to connect with people. For that it's very useful.

Its not a choice when the apps don't follow the fine print rules that facebook has set for them for data sharing/deletion etc. And many legit apps have way too many permissions, eg internet radio/music apps require your friend-list, likes-list for suggestions on what your friends are listening.

Hopefully facebook gets hit with a crippling fine and has to pay for its own data security policing while some more stringent regulations gets put into place.

Just deleted my facebook. Feels great. I don't care about any of the recent scandal. I've always hated facebook and wanted it to die, but deleting my account would have been meaningless because they have so many more users.

But now that there's an army of people deleting their accounts, I chose to ride that momentum and hopefully begin the process of killing facebook.

It's one of those things where everyone's on facebook simply because everyone else is on facebook. So if you want to go where the people are, you have to use facebook. But if we make a large enough dent in their user-base, then suddenly everyone's not on facebook anymore, which give others less reason to be on there as well. It snowballs quickly.

I went back and logged in to myspace... still works, but it's all weird now. I'll have to get used to it. I've also joined mastadon, which is an open source social network so they can't hide data-stealing code from users. It's also set up kind of like a P2P network so no government can ever shut it down. It's like the bitcoin of social media. Google it and watch the demo video, it's pretty cool.

Never really had Facebook until last may because I got a smart phone and I made an Instagram account and I think it came with a Facebook and a twitter.

I got rid of it a long time ago, mostly because I never used it.

I know a few people that are addicted to.it though, they can't go 10 minutes without having to check it and hit LIKE on everything in their feed. Kinda sad really.

Facebook is one of the best lead-generators for my real estate team, so no deleting for me.

I deleted my previous facebook and made a new facebook and got insta banned. I had to send them my photo id to prove that i am me and it took 2 weeks. im telling all you guys, delete your facebook and make a new one and only invite people that are your friends
Facebook asked for my ID once around 2010 and I've never tried to make an account since. Never thought about it getting this bad but I'm not surprised.

To think that Facebook is not the only massive entity that mines individual data is extremely troubling for the next decade or so. Things will get a lot worse.

Are you for or against this movement?

Someone else will fill that void, promising better security, if Facebook goes down. In fact, I am surprised other big online providers (e.g., Yahoo, AOL, Microsoft, etc.) didn't take a stab at a competing concept like Google did. Google screwed up by not properly beta testing Google +, and it just did not operate as smoothly as Facebook. Someone will create something comparable though to replace it.

I have mine and I'm not deleting it. I use it as a convenient way to share pictures and things with family and people I still talk to the majority by some shape or form on a regular basis.

I don't have anything on there I wouldn't want anyone not to see and honestly if it ended up being a Twitter/Instagram world, they don't offer me enough to sign up.

Also how rich is it that people are calling on others to drop Facebook and jump to Instagram? They're owned by the same people!

I don't think you're a bit naive to how deep the personality profile building goes. It's not that you're in danger if you have pictures or info up that you don't want people to see. It's that they collect everything you post, comment on, follow and like and build a profile about you that knows way more about you than you could ever guess. It's not just stupid shit like your gender, how old you are, how many family members you have etc.

Social media sites use their users as a free vessel for marketing. Then they take your info and sell it to marketers to market products to you. Then they hand it all over to the government. So multiple companies and your own government have full on profiles on you with information that you wouldn't normally give out to them if you knew what they're actually collecting. It's not just that you like cute babies and cat pictures. It's a bit more serious than that.

I agree on the people jumping to other social network sites. All of them are collecting your data because they're making a fortune on you. Doesn't matter who they're owned by. Some are creepier than others but they all do it.

I started a facebook page about 5 years ago and quickly deleted it or deactivate it whatever you call it. It's just not for me. I don't like having my mom and grandma and ex-wife looking at everything I'm doing online. It's also weird how you become friends with people from school that you haven't seen in 20 years and nobody really has anything to say to each other except for maybe a bare minimum, it's just super awkward, I don't like it.

Wish I could delete but I need updates from my bjj school and like to see pictures and videos of my nieces and nephews growing up around the world.

Back