Deer Hunters Roundup

How do you transport a beast that big?
Skinned and quartered it on the spot; took me and a buddy about 2 1/2 hours. The wind chill was below zero, my gloves were soaked with blood and froze to my hands. Hurt like a bastard! Fortunately we were able to drive the truck within 200 yards; it took each of us 3 trips with backpacks. We figured he weighed a good 700 on the hoof.

Skinned and quartered it on the spot; took me and a buddy about 2 1/2 hours. The wind chill was below zero, my gloves were soaked with blood and froze to my hands. Hurt like a bastard! Fortunately we were able to drive the truck within 200 yards; it took each of us 3 trips with backpacks. We figured he weighed a good 700 on the hoof.
That's awesome man! Congrats on the success. What state was that in?

A few more ?s if you don't mind...

A) are you keeping all that meat?

B) if yes, how do you store it?
(Freezers? Vacuum sealed? Salted?
Do you dry it/smoke it or do anything to preserve it?)

C) How long will that meat last you?

Congrats on the successful hunt.
I hope it feeds you and your family for a long time.

Ps: I have a friend who grew up in Boseman MT.
I stopped there on a cross country trip in 2002.
What a BEAUTIFUL area!!

Last edited:
I got that backwards. Why not just close your right eye? Cross dominance in archery has 2 primary fixes 1) Close dominant eye, or 2) Shoot switch stance. Since I'm not ambidextrous; drawing a bow with my weak side is far more awkward, difficult, uncomfortable than sighting with my weaker eye. It's far easier for me to adjust focus from right ot left, or one eye to two; than it is for me to adjust to the mechanics of shooting switch stance, which I do have experience with.

I do shoot left eyed with a bow (closing dominant right) never heard of switch stance and since I was the only lefty (let alone left hand/right eye dominant shitshow) in my family group growing up nobody had had a clue other than "close your right eye"

I also don't use sights on a bow.

A few more ?s if you don't mind...

A) are you keeping all that meat?

B) if yes, how do you store it?
(Freezers? Vacuum sealed? Salted?
Do you dry it/smoke it or do anything to preserve it?)

C) How long will that meat last you?

Congrats on the successful hunt.
I hope it feeds you and your family for a long time.

Ps: I have a friend who grew up in Boseman MT.
I stopped there on a cross country trip in 2002.
What a BEAUTIFUL area!!
I ended up with around 250 pounds of meat; 140 of it burger. I’m giving some of the backstrap to family members at Christmas; but I’m keeping the rest. I thought about processing it myself but ended up taking to a butcher who charged me $1.10 a pound to cut it up, grind the burger and package and label everything. I have a second freezer that I use for this type of thing. The burger will last us most of a year; it’s just my wife, 7 year old son, and I. Normally, with a deer I would make a bunch of summer sausage and jerky, but elk is way too good for that.
My buddy I hunted with is from the Bozeman area, and it is indeed beautiful there!

I ended up with around 250 pounds of meat; 140 of it burger. I’m giving some of the backstrap to family members at Christmas; but I’m keeping the rest. I thought about processing it myself but ended up taking to a butcher who charged me $1.10 a pound to cut it up, grind the burger and package and label everything. I have a second freezer that I use for this type of thing. The burger will last us most of a year; it’s just my wife, 7 year old son, and I. Normally, with a deer I would make a bunch of summer sausage and jerky, but elk is way too good for that.
My buddy I hunted with is from the Bozeman area, and it is indeed beautiful there!
That's very interesting.

Truth be told I come from an area pretty far to the opposite end of the spectrum, surrounded by a large majority of people that are likely anti gun without knowing their ass from the business end of a rifle. I myself have been vegetarian my entire adult life, with my first vegetarian stint in 1997 and currently 20+ years since I last intentionally/knowingly ate meat.

I remember a conversation I had way way back in the day, the gist of it being that for as much as folks around me can't comprehend hunting, folks elsewhere think it is absurd to spend 2+ hours a day driving to a cubicle to work 40+ hours/week to feed their family when a fruitful weekend hunting excursion can provide enough meat to last a family months.

Enjoy your burgers, steaks and jerky or however you prepare it sherbro. And much respect that you provide healthy natural food to your son and family, food without antibiotics and steroids and the fun chemicals and preservatives that come with factory farming.

<RomeroSalute>

I try not to make too much jerky because I have no self control and will eat it all within a week.

I've been meaning to deer hunt again for about 19 years now. Can't seem to get around to it.

Back