Deer Hunters Roundup

Well boys, it's been hunting season for a minute now. How's everyone done so far this season? Feel free to post your trophy itt.

Finally got back in to deer hunting after moving and a 5 year hiatus. Well, I came back to it and bagged the nicest buck I've gotten in 25 years of deer hunting. Not a monster, but he's a trophy to me. On public land as well, which as we all know, can be tricky with all the pressure.

Nice buck.

I've only been out a few times so far this season, but was able to take this guy last Sunday with my 30.06.

IMG_0671-EDIT.jpg

I can take another buck and 4 doe until Jan. 15, so I'm hoping to catch one of the bigger boys I've been seeing on camera after things settle down after rifle season.

Nice buck.

I've only been out a few times so far this season, but was able to take this guy last Sunday with my 30.06.

View attachment 1013071

I can take another buck and 4 doe until Jan. 15, so I'm hoping to catch one of the bigger boys I've been seeing on camera after things settle down after rifle season.
Nice! Indiana is a 1 buck state... so I'm limited to 2 doe now. In Michigan this weekend, hoping for a monster lol.

Nice! Indiana is a 1 buck state... so I'm limited to 2 doe now. In Michigan this weekend, hoping for a monster lol.
Good luck. Oh, we also have a holiday gun season for another bonus doe if we'd like to get one more. Plus, fur bearers season starts next Friday. Might go out and see if I can call up a bobcat.

By all mean, please elaborate.

And of course do include when you became a lifelong vegan and any tips you may have for acquiring ethically sourced vegan clothes, leather free furniture, your plans for providing a sustainable vegan diet to the entire world as well as convincing 8 billion people to convert to a vegan diet... etc.

Even then, veganism kills countless small creatures due to crop maintenance and harvesting.

That said, grats on a successful hunt TS. Public land hunting though? That a big no from me dog haha. Fuck that.

Even then, veganism kills countless small creatures due to crop maintenance and harvesting.

That said, grats on a successful hunt TS. Public land hunting though? That a big no from me dog haha. Fuck that.

I've been vegetarian for 20 years.

Hunting is just straight up the most ethical* way for people to eat meat, so even if someone wants to play the "ethical reasons" card, I don't really see how they have a leg to stand on by opposing hunting.

The amount of hypocrisy of people who criticize hunting but then go eat factory farmed meat is mind boggling.

"Hey!! Don't give me that wild animal that never was injected with chemicals and lived free in the wild until its instantaneous death!!

Give me that dirty thing that lived ankle deep in shit eating round up and corn pellets and getting stuffed full of hormones and antibiotics injections that never once walked on grass or stood outside in the sun.

For ethical reasons!"

*small family farming or even wide range outdoor grazing is debatably as ethical if done right. Though I doubt that is the meat most anti hunting crybabies consume.

I've been vegetarian for 20 years.

Hunting is just straight up the most ethical* way for people to eat meat, so even if someone wants to play the "ethical reasons" card, I don't really see how they have a leg to stand on by opposing hunting.

The amount of hypocrisy of people who criticize hunting but then go eat factory farmed meat is mind boggling.

"Hey!! Don't give me that wild animal that never was injected with chemicals and lived free in the wild until its instantaneous death!!

Give me that dirty thing that lived ankle deep in shit eating round up and corn pellets and getting stuffed full of hormones and antibiotics injections that never once walked on grass or stood outside in the sun.

For ethical reasons!"

*small family farming or even wide range outdoor grazing is debatably as ethical if done right. Though I doubt that is the meat most anti hunting crybabies consume.
I blast wild pigs, cats, dogs, foxes and some types of birds simply because they're not native and considered invasive pests. I love cats, dogs and foxes and I get very little joy from blowing them away but the damage they do to the native wildlife here is considered extremely high risk. Animals like the quoll are on the risk of extinction because of cats and dogs. Pigs are absolutely devastating for farmers and native animals, I'll admit I do enjoy pig hunting quite a bit as they're a bit more dangerous game than the others (wild dog packs can be pretty dicey though) so it adds a layer of excitement when you're hunting in thick grass or bush. I never harvest them and often the bodies are just left there either as bait for more pigs/dogs/foxes or the native wildlife eats them and they fertilize the ground. I very rarely take shots that aren't a certain hit to the vitals. Sometimes especially with pigs who are often late to their own funeral it takes a few shots. But I'm yet to meet a pig that has survived more than 30 seconds after being hit by the 44 magnum, the 30-30 or the 00 buck. My .223 only really gets used if I'm out hunting foxes, cats or dogs. Even with dogs I generally use something bigger like the 30-30 or the 44. Hitting something small like a cat or a piglet with the .44 magnum tends to just spread the animal over a few yards.

I blast wild pigs, cats, dogs, foxes and some types of birds simply because they're not native and considered invasive pests. I love cats, dogs and foxes and I get very little joy from blowing them away but the damage they do to the native wildlife here is considered extremely high risk. Animals like the quoll are on the risk of extinction because of cats and dogs. Pigs are absolutely devastating for farmers and native animals, I'll admit I do enjoy pig hunting quite a bit as they're a bit more dangerous game than the others (wild dog packs can be pretty dicey though) so it adds a layer of excitement when you're hunting in thick grass or bush. I never harvest them and often the bodies are just left there either as bait for more pigs/dogs/foxes or the native wildlife eats them and they fertilize the ground. I very rarely take shots that aren't a certain hit to the vitals. Sometimes especially with pigs who are often late to their own funeral it takes a few shots. But I'm yet to meet a pig that has survived more than 30 seconds after being hit by the 44 magnum, the 30-30 or the 00 buck. My .223 only really gets used if I'm out hunting foxes, cats or dogs. Even with dogs I generally use something bigger like the 30-30 or the 44. Hitting something small like a cat or a piglet with the .44 magnum tends to just spread the animal over a few yards.
If you aren't harvesting I would imagine it would be better to error on the side of the more devastating caliber.

Thus far I have only shot paper. If I ever have to take aim on anything breathing that means either the world went to shit or some invasive 2 legged predator decided to try his luck breaking into my home, both situations I hope I don't encounter.

Alot of times in pieces. Quarter it up and pack it out. Big game like that is a TON of work!
Gotta be. That thing looked like it weighs hundreds of pounds. And I would guess the meat goes bad fairly quickly or gets discovered by scavengers so you probably got to get it either wrapped in plastic or moved pretty quick.

Snow on the ground probably preserves it longer. Do they set up big game hunting season when it is cold for that reason?

Grain combines kill an awful lot of deer though sir.
Only difference is nobody gets the sustenance from it.

Just my opinion.

What? No. Combines don't kill deer. You're not chasing down a deer at 3.5mph.

Back