Dat TRT life: what can I expect?

Ah, okay.

Have fun being general purpose butt-boy. Shitty job. Now you get to read my reports.

:)
pLDFC2B.gif

wish I could get on it. I got the symptoms of low T but not low enough for a prescription

Its not the same argument, testosterone has a direct detriment to human health, otherwise it makes no sense for the body to stop producing it.

That being said, im not against it if it means the person is improving his life dramatically, rather die a few years earlier than become a useless old man.

That's nonsense. The body doesn't stop doing things because they cause detriment. It is down to which bloodlines were evolutionarily fitter or luckier.

One explanation is reduced T likely correlates with better conflict resolution and caregiving. Older males however if very successful can still sire children so explaining the tail off rather than the cliff women experience. My grandfather, for instance, was 72 when he sired my father.

So I thought I'd chime in to give a TRT recipient's view of what the 'life's' like (literally my first post ever on the sherdog forums...)

Background:
  • 38 yr old male, spent majority of youth swimming an playing waterpolo (national team was when I quit).
  • Spent 15 yrs on and off training an sparring in Muay Thai, never competed (work FT and finishing degree and Master certificate never allowed for the time required).
  • Started lifting seriously after my daughter was born (couldn't make scheduled MT classes, but gym opened at 5am).
  • After 4 years I had stalled in strength, and my dad (in his 60's but very active) was diagnosed with low-T, so I asked to be tested. My levels came back at the bottom of the low-normal scale, and I successfully argued that those test values were normal for a 65 yr old, not someone 36. My doc referred me to an endocrinologist.

Medical: I'll preface this by saying that I live in Canada, so the doctor's visits were free, although it would've taken less time to see someone if I were in the U.S. Most testing was free as well, except the bio-available testosterone (about $65 every 3 months).
  • The Endo first covered ALL the bases as to the possible reasons for the low-T numbers:
    • Vitamin D levels were very low, despite me supplementing. Vitamin D and cholesterol are two essential ingredients for testosterone production. The answer is still unclear, but I was tested for celiac/gluten intolerance and it came back negative. When ingesting gluten, the lining of your intestines have a allergic reaction (a simpler way of putting it) and become inflamed. This does not allow your intestines to absorb a number of important vitamins etc, one being vitamin D. The doctor still thinks I have a sensitivity to Gluten, so I try to minimize the intake.
    • I was put on 10,000 UI's a day of Vit D3, with little effect. After more test, we switched to 50,000 UI's of Vit D2 bi-monthly, which has shown success.
  • SHBG, or Sex Hormone Binding Globulin was also tested as well (SHBG binds to bio-available test and makes it unusable, despite standard Testosterone tests showing High free test levels). It was a little elevated, but that naturally occurs as you age. From what I know, you cannot do anything to reduce SHBG quantity in your body.... :(
  • A number of other factors were checked as well, all under that eye of a VERY experienced endo (he is a tenured professor at Univ. of Toronto's Medical School).
  • After over a year of careful, considered review and testing, we met at a regular checkup, and he just said non-nonchalantly: " ok, let's start supplementing you"...quite anticlimactic.
Dose:
  • I take a 2.5g packet of 1% Androgel every day. That's 0.025 g of synthetic testosterone a day, or 0.175 g of test a week. Compare that to bodybuilders who literally with take 2g of test every week when on cycle; that's 11 X more than me.
  • The 2.5g dose is the lowest available. I am 6' 5" tall, 245lb at 15% BF, so not fat and not small, and my last blood test showed that my test levels are now in the upper part of the high-normal range. So it doesn't take much to go from the bottom to the top (excuse the bad Drake reference).
  • Keep in mind that this is to get me to be in the NORMAL range; i.e. where EVERYONE else is. I have spent my whole life with less test and my efforts to get have always been hampered by something I had no idea was there. So being at the top of the normal scale is a nice change.
Effects:
  • Confidence - Increase in confidence and a dramatic increase in how I view other people; I size people up far more often, essentially alpha-male'ing all the time. Keep in mind this isn't aggression or intimidation, just a frame of mind.
  • 'Happiness' - I would call it a peace-of-mind, or a more content feeling 24/7, like a piece of the puzzle had been found.
  • Sexual - Hornier than two rats fucking in a wool sock...Being married essentially negates a dramatic increase in frequency of sex, but intensity is up, and the wife isn't complaining.

• Strength - Here's the kicker. I have been so busy in life since I started TRT, I haven't been able to stick with the previous regimen. Cancer (2 bouts of carcinoma), another child, a business on top of F/T work and moving have all added up to a frustrating set of mini lifting-cycles, all with varying degrees of success. I did hit a 10lb PR on my deadlift with minimal direct lift training (but lots of assistance work), but all other lifts haven't really been tested.
  • Body Composition - This is a good part. If I take an extended time off (no exercise, eat like shit), I can come back and get shredded in half the time, just cut out the junk and add a bit of boxing/sprints, and you're all good.
  • Sparring aggression - This one's a no-brainer: I want to take the fucking guys head off. It takes a little while to get used to it (gotta keep yourself well reined in), but there's no hesitation in firing off strikes when sparring (I still box).
Final Thoughts:
  • TRT, if done properly with a medically supervised program is 100% safe. All the risk factors are assessed and family history and long term health study in included in that. The objective is for me to get back to normal, and that has been accomplished.
  • (Assuming your path to a TRT program is the same; i.e. not a corner-store doctor just writing prescriptions for 1g/week) don't expect TRT to make you a carded IFBB pro. You will be able to stack on more mass than before, but ONLY with back-breaking hard work, nutrition and sleep, just as before.
  • Other than losing more of my already receding hair-line, I see absolutely NO reason why EVERY man shouldn't get testing and supplement if required.

• If your TRT path involves a single test, three trips to a doctor whom you've only met 3 times, and it results in a 5g a day 1.5% Androgel prescription, expect to have issues when you're older. If you are not going to do this properly, you might as well buy it as steroids and save yourself the hassle. TRT is VERY complex, and involves dozens of hormones and chemicals in order for it to be done safely, so go through the process and know you're not going to hurt yourself.

Excellent post. Thanks for sharing with us.

Very informative, Hitower. This actually makes me want to get a second opinion. I've only been going to my doctor for the last year, and he was quick to suggest TRT once it was determined my levels were low, and actually they are the low side of normal, but not below normal. I didn't have to argue to get on the regimen. So now I'm a little weary.

Good stuff.

So I thought I'd chime in to give a TRT recipient's view of what the 'life's' like (literally my first post ever on the sherdog forums...)

Background:
  • 38 yr old male, spent majority of youth swimming an playing waterpolo (national team was when I quit).
  • Spent 15 yrs on and off training an sparring in Muay Thai, never competed (work FT and finishing degree and Master certificate never allowed for the time required).
  • Started lifting seriously after my daughter was born (couldn't make scheduled MT classes, but gym opened at 5am).
  • After 4 years I had stalled in strength, and my dad (in his 60's but very active) was diagnosed with low-T, so I asked to be tested. My levels came back at the bottom of the low-normal scale, and I successfully argued that those test values were normal for a 65 yr old, not someone 36. My doc referred me to an endocrinologist.

Medical: I'll preface this by saying that I live in Canada, so the doctor's visits were free, although it would've taken less time to see someone if I were in the U.S. Most testing was free as well, except the bio-available testosterone (about $65 every 3 months).
  • The Endo first covered ALL the bases as to the possible reasons for the low-T numbers:
    • Vitamin D levels were very low, despite me supplementing. Vitamin D and cholesterol are two essential ingredients for testosterone production. The answer is still unclear, but I was tested for celiac/gluten intolerance and it came back negative. When ingesting gluten, the lining of your intestines have a allergic reaction (a simpler way of putting it) and become inflamed. This does not allow your intestines to absorb a number of important vitamins etc, one being vitamin D. The doctor still thinks I have a sensitivity to Gluten, so I try to minimize the intake.
    • I was put on 10,000 UI's a day of Vit D3, with little effect. After more test, we switched to 50,000 UI's of Vit D2 bi-monthly, which has shown success.
  • SHBG, or Sex Hormone Binding Globulin was also tested as well (SHBG binds to bio-available test and makes it unusable, despite standard Testosterone tests showing High free test levels). It was a little elevated, but that naturally occurs as you age. From what I know, you cannot do anything to reduce SHBG quantity in your body.... :(
  • A number of other factors were checked as well, all under that eye of a VERY experienced endo (he is a tenured professor at Univ. of Toronto's Medical School).
  • After over a year of careful, considered review and testing, we met at a regular checkup, and he just said non-nonchalantly: " ok, let's start supplementing you"...quite anticlimactic.
Dose:
  • I take a 2.5g packet of 1% Androgel every day. That's 0.025 g of synthetic testosterone a day, or 0.175 g of test a week. Compare that to bodybuilders who literally with take 2g of test every week when on cycle; that's 11 X more than me.
  • The 2.5g dose is the lowest available. I am 6' 5" tall, 245lb at 15% BF, so not fat and not small, and my last blood test showed that my test levels are now in the upper part of the high-normal range. So it doesn't take much to go from the bottom to the top (excuse the bad Drake reference).
  • Keep in mind that this is to get me to be in the NORMAL range; i.e. where EVERYONE else is. I have spent my whole life with less test and my efforts to get have always been hampered by something I had no idea was there. So being at the top of the normal scale is a nice change.
Effects:
  • Confidence - Increase in confidence and a dramatic increase in how I view other people; I size people up far more often, essentially alpha-male'ing all the time. Keep in mind this isn't aggression or intimidation, just a frame of mind.
  • 'Happiness' - I would call it a peace-of-mind, or a more content feeling 24/7, like a piece of the puzzle had been found.
  • Sexual - Hornier than two rats fucking in a wool sock...Being married essentially negates a dramatic increase in frequency of sex, but intensity is up, and the wife isn't complaining.

• Strength - Here's the kicker. I have been so busy in life since I started TRT, I haven't been able to stick with the previous regimen. Cancer (2 bouts of carcinoma), another child, a business on top of F/T work and moving have all added up to a frustrating set of mini lifting-cycles, all with varying degrees of success. I did hit a 10lb PR on my deadlift with minimal direct lift training (but lots of assistance work), but all other lifts haven't really been tested.
  • Body Composition - This is a good part. If I take an extended time off (no exercise, eat like shit), I can come back and get shredded in half the time, just cut out the junk and add a bit of boxing/sprints, and you're all good.
  • Sparring aggression - This one's a no-brainer: I want to take the fucking guys head off. It takes a little while to get used to it (gotta keep yourself well reined in), but there's no hesitation in firing off strikes when sparring (I still box).
Final Thoughts:
  • TRT, if done properly with a medically supervised program is 100% safe. All the risk factors are assessed and family history and long term health study in included in that. The objective is for me to get back to normal, and that has been accomplished.
  • (Assuming your path to a TRT program is the same; i.e. not a corner-store doctor just writing prescriptions for 1g/week) don't expect TRT to make you a carded IFBB pro. You will be able to stack on more mass than before, but ONLY with back-breaking hard work, nutrition and sleep, just as before.
  • Other than losing more of my already receding hair-line, I see absolutely NO reason why EVERY man shouldn't get testing and supplement if required.

• If your TRT path involves a single test, three trips to a doctor whom you've only met 3 times, and it results in a 5g a day 1.5% Androgel prescription, expect to have issues when you're older. If you are not going to do this properly, you might as well buy it as steroids and save yourself the hassle. TRT is VERY complex, and involves dozens of hormones and chemicals in order for it to be done safely, so go through the process and know you're not going to hurt yourself.

Hell of a first post, man.:)

This deserves to be Stickied, IMHO.:cool:

Very informative, Hitower. This actually makes me want to get a second opinion. I've only been going to my doctor for the last year, and he was quick to suggest TRT once it was determined my levels were low, and actually they are the low side of normal, but not below normal. I didn't have to argue to get on the regimen. So now I'm a little weary.

Good stuff.
Hey Maine-iac: I was also on the 'low side of normal' but the 'normal scale' does not take into account age, height, mass or medical history. A 'low-normal' reading can be a healthy value for a 5'3", 105lb 70-yr old man, not someone in their mid 30's and in good physical condition. If you are working our constantly, eating right and fucking regularly, your T levels should be at least median, if not a little on the high side. If they are not, this meas that all your efforts (putting on mass etc. ) are JUST keeping you in the low-normal range. Definitely see your doctor and argue for a referral to a endo; it will give you the opportunity to get you T higher and/or potentially discover other issues ( like low Vitamin D absorption or gluten sensitivity) that are keeping your numbers low.

Low side of normal is normal.

Your age is generally used to determine the reference range for the results. At least that's what we use here. Also, your doc should be considering your lifestyle.

Last edited:
Low side of normal is normal.

Your age is generally used to determine the reference range for the results. At least that's what we use here. Also, your doc should be considering your lifestyle.

Dunno how it is in the great white north, but in the US a doc gets paid the same for each office visit. Five med calls can be made in the time it takes to do one full exam. With 200K in student loans to pay off, guess what happens?

And normal is for pussies.

Dunno how it is in the great white north, but in the US a doc gets paid the same for each office visit. Five med calls can be made in the time it takes to do one full exam. With 200K in student loans to pay off, guess what happens?

And normal is for pussies.

You Godamm Right, F@ck normal. I will fight Hell or High Water to keep my TRT Supp at the high normal range.

I've often wanted to test mine, but I've never seen any signs to suggest I have an issue. Except for my being a weak fuck. But I blame that on myself, not teh testies.

Back