Croatian HW genetics

Serbia > Croatia

Djoko is a better athlete than anything out of Croatia.

Wow. All this and no mention of anton josipovic? Possibly the greatest boxer and olympian ever? JOKE thread.

Serbia > Croatia

Djoko is a better athlete than anything out of Croatia.
Novak is awesome, and Serbia has good athletes too, but it's insecure Serbs like you that give them a bad name.

Usain Bolt might be the world's greatest athlete. Does this mean Jamaica produces the greatest ahtletes in the world?

You gotta look at all sports.

Novak is awesome, and Serbia has good athletes too, but it's insecure Serbs like you that give them a bad name.

Usain Bolt might be the world's greatest athlete. Does this mean Jamaica produces the greatest ahtletes in the world?

You gotta look at all sports.
I'm not even Serb, I just like stoking the fires of ethnic rivalry.

When Miocic and Overeem were doing a joint interview to kick off the ticket sales for UFC 203, curiously enough it was Overeem who talked about how he'd gone to Croatia a few times, that the Croatian people were tough, and that he saw something of that in Stipe.

But since the interview happened at 5:30 am the day after the Cavaliers victory parade, he also saw in Stipe the aftereffects of a helluva lotta celebrating. And thus the idea of a Miocic gone soft with partying was planted in his mind, and watered thereafter with chance observations filtered through confirmation bias.

Guess Overeem didn't do too much partying during his Croatian visits, or he might have better understood the work hard/play hard dynamic...

Back in the day, like 2003 or so, I used to troll Croats non-stop on here. It wasn't because I'm Serbian, Bosnian, or Eastern European (not even close on all three), it was because within 5 posts of me saying something along the lines of, "CroCop has a weak chin and no heart; that is to say, he's an average Croat." there would inevitably be a Serb coming into the thread that would strike up the theme and thus would ensue a hateful stream of venom between the two groups in which past atrocities that their great-great grandparents committed back in tickety-two would be dredged up and examined. It just dawned on me how spiteful I was as a young buck. Meh...

And it never ceases to amaze me that George Chuvalo's parents were Bosnian Croats. For starters, the guy looks 100% Native and he could take one hell of a shot. Most Croats I've met don't fit that description at all.

so? a little island you can kick a football across produced mark hunt.

I was wondering the same thing with Russia and chess the other day, why there are so many great russian chess players, then I did some research and most of the best ones were actually jewish-russian, Kasparov, Tal, Kramnik, Botvinnik, Karpov, just to name a few. Superior reptlian genetics.

Ive been to dubrovnic and i only saw average size dudes.....

It's all about the culture. I saw a thread called "why does Daegestan have the best genetics" tho other day and the answer is really simple: watch the Dagestan Massacre video, understand that is what they grew up with and the only choices were to do combat sambo or become a shepherd. Al of this is taking place in the background of brutal warfare where you don't have the choice of sitting home all day and playing video games.

The same could be said about most people from war torn or poverty stricken places. When the Irish were poor immigrants and lived in the Ghettos, they dominated boxing. Then, as they started making more money and the blacks moved in their ghettos, they dominated boxing.....then the mexicans, puerto ricans, etc. People want to feel like "my tribe" has some superior genetic gifts, every culture in the world feels this way. Go have a frank talk with some Armenians and you will get "Armenian men are the best fighters in the world" and have that same conversation with an Italian, Japanese or Korean person and you will get the same response.

But the truth is, fighting more so than anything is skillset, mindset and the environment you grow up in. CroCop growing up in war torn Croatia likely played a part in his mindset, same with Stipe's parents imparting that war torn wisdom on him. There are clearly way better athletes than both, look at the NFL (Big Baby Davis), but those athletes lack the toughness that a war torn mindset will give you.

Sad thing is, hundreds of talents are wasted, in all sorts of sports, due to people being poor plus favoritism/corruption.

I'm not joking. Yes, there are different reasons as well, but you wouldn't believe how many kids waste away.

I'm not even Serb, I just like stoking the fires of ethnic rivalry.

Poor form. I mean, it's not of a big deal by itself, but lots mentioning that war brings nothing but hate and sadness.
And this is coming from someone who really doesn't hate anyone (except haters :D).

I was wondering the same thing with Russia and chess the other day, why there are so many great russian chess players, then I did some research and most of the best ones were actually jewish-russian, Kasparov, Tal, Kramnik, Botvinnik, Karpov, just to name a few. Superior reptlian genetics.
More like that is because that is what they do over there. America dominates in basketball. Why? Because we do basketball. The Chinese dominate in Table Tennis. Why? Because that is what they do. Germans dominate at making classical music. Why? It's what they were raised to do. Everyone is a product of their upbringing and cultural values.

How does this small country with a population less than metro Boston, produce so many freak athletes?

Just looking at martial arts, you have 2 K-1 champions, a Pride open weight GP champion, a UFC HW champion, and now a 42 year old Mirko becomes the Rizin HW GP champ.

Not to mention all their world class athletes and accomplishment in other sport like soccer, tennis, basketball, etc...

Something in the water I suppose.

stipe_mirko.0.JPG

Nice sample size.

You are missing the point. Your original post was poorly worded and had a small sample size as example. I am not saying Croatia sucks. I have been a fan of heir soccer team since the hakan sukur (spelling?) days

Hakan Sukur is from Turkey , you are thinking of Davor Suker.

It's true for Eastern Europeans in MMA. Besides Cro-Cop, Brancko, and the others you mentioned, you have guys like Igor, both Emelianenko brothers, and so on. IMO, they just grow up tougher there. No room for being a pantywaist.

The OP bases his assertions on a handful of people.

Eastern Europe, Eastern bloc, Slavic states ...they have some strong martial arts traditions as well. But in the area of MMA, Croatia is really not that special.

I mean I could do the same kind of sample bias for fighters from Sweden. "How the hell are so many from such a small country", etc... using the accolades of a handful of athletes.

The OP bases his assertions on a handful of people.

Eastern Europe, Eastern bloc, Slavic states ...they have some strong martial arts traditions as well. But in the area of MMA, Croatia is really not that special.

I mean I could do the same kind of sample bias for fighters from Sweden. "How the hell are so many from such a small country", etc... using the accolades of a handful of athletes.
Sweden has nearly three times the population of Croatia, and they have never produced a champion in any major mma promotion, so no.

Back