Conor's fight-night weight against Diaz (Did he cut?)

Conor's own coach, John Kavanaugh said : "The interesting thing about this fight being at 170 pounds is that neither Conor nor his opponent will need to cut weight and then have to contend with any potential implications of that."

http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-column-4-march-2016-2642011-Mar2016/

John Kavanaugh says Conor & Nate are similar in size.

That was for the first fight, he clearly bulked up for the 2nd fight.

Although Nate did cut weight for the 1st fight too, Nate went to bed the night before the fight at 183lbs.

The mental gymnastics the haters will do to discredit Conor is hilarious. He only fought at 170lbs to have an inbuilt excuse for losing, yea the pro's of having a weak excuse for losing definitely outweigh the cons of having a tougher fight by giving your opponent the opportunity to bulk up and have a significant size advantage. Now he is making unnecessary weight cuts just to fool people into thinking he is smaller than he really is lol.

In my opinion, he did, but not much.
well, at least most of us agree that him having to "force weight up" thing is bullshit.

but take a look at the post above, and indeed, there are some people who would buy anything conor says without thinking. sheep mentality is the new cool.

What do you guys think?

I think Conor's words are for entertainment, not for being taken at face value. Remember this is the guy who announced he retired, then a few days later announced he was back on UFC-200, with thanks to Lorenzo and Dana.

Owen Roddy, Conor's own coach and an SBG man for 16 years, said Conor walks around at 177.

could be a few reasons, perhaps he was aiming to maximize off the smaller fighter vs much larger dude angle.

Or maybe he just didn't cut any water weight, just didn't eat much for a day or two. A lot of guys who don't cut water weight do that

Essentially I think he was just carrying 8-10 pounds of extra fat/muscle which would make a clear difference visibly.

I think Conor's words are for entertainment, not for being taken at face value. Remember this is the guy who announced he retired, then a few days later announced he was back on UFC-200, with thanks to Lorenzo and Dana.

Owen Roddy, Conor's own coach and an SBG man for 16 years, said Conor walks around at 177.
spot on. that's why it doesn't make sense, dude and his coach would say anything to market and sell. Doesn't make sense that he had to "force" his weight up to 168 when coming in the the 2nd fight.

i think most agree that he cut, even if it wasn't much, despite Conor saying that he didnt.

Connor cut from 175. Diaz cut from 180. He was maybe 185 from the bloat of slamming tequila and tacos the week before the first fight

Because he has a big head with defined features like a fairly big nose, sharp cheekbones etc, his face will look more drawn than someone with a small round head like Aldo.

Or maybe he really is on deaths door, only he knows.

No bias right?

Not on this issue. Fan or not, it seems pretty clear to me. It's not a big deal either way but it just seems to have grown into this cult thing to claim he's bigger than he is in order to take away from his accomplishments.

There's no way he finishes a camp any heavier than 169. He's just not that big.

His own team said that he cut from 177 for the first fight. Ask me for a source (or 10). I dare you.

People are very naive about this sort of thing. Floyd sold this bullshit narrative about himself for years, and people bought it even though he rarely looked undersized in the ring.

Then he gets busted for using an IV before the Pacquiao fight and everybody just walks off whistling in the wind pretending they had no part in believing his nonsense. "Who, me? Never!"

You're all doing the exact same thing with Conor. Nevermind that when a fighter is in the cage with a much larger opponent, it's visible and obvious and right there in front of you, and that sort of dynamic was clearly not at work with either fight between Conor and Nate (although something differeny might be said for Conor v Mendes or Conor v Siver).

But who ya gonna believe? Conor or your lyin' eyes?

A fighters weight is one of the most lied about facts there is in MMA.
Fighters,coaches, teammates etc. All throw rumors out there to cloud the truth. Make them seem bigger or smaller, whatever fits their narrative.

You have to go on what you see and common sense along with statements made in order to make an educated conclusion.

Much was also said about Conor having to eat a lot just to get to 169 for the first fight. Having been preparing for a 155 fight I'd say that sounds closers to the truth.

He came in at the same weight for the second fight.
No cut either time.

I'm a Conor fan and there's no way in hell he hydrates and eats to make 168. Amateurs cut more than 13 lbs to make 155 so unless Conor is magically a tiny LW or a normal sized FW then this is a lie. It's pretty obvious that Conor is a 175 lb guy. He probably cuts 20 lbs of water after dieting to make the 145 and would make a 155 cut easily.

Fighters,coaches, teammates etc. All throw rumors out there to cloud the truth. Make them seem bigger or smaller, whatever fits their narrative.

You have to go on what you see and common sense along with statements made in order to make an educated conclusion.

Much was also said about Conor having to eat a lot just to get to 169 for the first fight. Having been preparing for a 155 fight I'd say that sounds closers to the truth.

No cut either time.

No way dude. No way a fighter of his musculature and body fat (he's really not that lean..) eats to get to 168.

I don't have any problem believing he stayed leaner for this fight and had to eat to stay close to 170. Touch butt burns the kcals.

No way dude. No way a fighter of his musculature and body fat (he's really not that lean..) eats to get to 168.

I'm gonna say this .
Conor is what 5ft 9in ?
He is very lean actually.
It isn't hard to believe that at his height and shape he is in that he walks around at 170Ish.
After a full camp no way he's more than that, no way.

Funny thing is I don't think Conor's weight has changed at all.

He has always been someone who walks around at 170ish. And after a camp for 145 prob weighs 162 and cuts from there.

For the Nate fight he didnt have to lose as much weight during camp so he came in at 168 without cutting.

Conor is not a big guy at all. Look at him when he's not flexing or postured up. He's a skinny guy.
Look at those pics of him partying with those girls with his shirt off when everyone said he was doing coke.

He looks skinny as hell.
Honestly I think if he didn't call his opponents " midgets" his size would never have been such an issue to everyone.

No cut either time.

Oh so fighters weight is the most lied about fact in mma but when conor talks about his weight its the holy truth? You're way too much of a little cheerleader to have any unbiased opinion on the matter.

Oh and BTW he did cut with undeniable proof for the first fight because he immediately drank fluids after weighing in.

No cut either time.

It doesn't make more sense at all. What makes sense is that he was eating a lot to get his weight up above 170 so he wouldn't be outsized. And again, you can just look at them in the cage. If Conor hadn't spun this narrative, no one would have thought of it. He didn't look undersized against Nate in the least.

When one fighter is significantly bigger than the other, it shows in he cage. I watched with a bunch of casual's both times. Not once did one of them remark that Nate looked a lot bigger than Conor. When one fighter really is a lot bigger than the other, casuals notice, and comment on it.

Back