Conor's fight-night weight against Diaz (Did he cut?)

It makes zero sense to cut two pounds more than you have to. He didn't cut any weight to make WW.

Your assumptions in the OP don't make sense tbh.

A steak heavy or strictly controlled diet that isn't limited in calories could keep a fighter at the same weight. Their v02, anaerobic and other performance markers are vastly different.

You do realize that Nate weighed in at 169 for the first fight which is, you know, 2 lbs more than he had to... right?

So, apparently, Conor didn't cut any weight and came in at a walkaround weight (post-training camp) of 168 pounds.

Conor repeated how he had to force his weight up because he was so light, basically forcing himself to eat. And of course, he was "on steaks", basically eating whatever he wanted and apparently that only got him up to 168pounds.

So, if Conor on steaks + force-feed diet = 168 pounds pre-cut, then it should be safe to acknowledge that Conor on salad plus a strictly controlled diet weighs less than steak-diet Conor.

So, based on what I just mentioned, while Conor was fighting at 145 and living off plants- he must have been around 160 pounds before cutting weight.

Now, this would mean that Conor had to cut around 15 pounds to make 145, which is a relatively basic cut, comparatively. So, why did he come in to the weigh-ins looking like a half-dead zombie?

What do you guys think?

giphy.gif
Who's this conor guy

Keep in mind he was lean at 168, very low body fat %. So losing 10 lbs takes it toll but wold be relatively easy. So 155 lbs is an ideal weight class ~ 6-7% body fat.

Losing an additional 10 lbs when you are already lean with a low body fat % leaves you drawn out like you see in Conor's weigh in pic.
This exactly. When he cuts to 145 he is pretty much lost all fat and water weight...nothing but muscle and bones left.

I think the people that believe Conor "ate up" to 168 despite him looking like death at 145 (to which he was supposedly cutting to from a lighter weight than what he weighed both times against Nate) probably also believe Pettis didn't cut at 155 yet looked rough at 145.

Lots of people who never cut before on here.

Enough of this already. He did not cut. Anyone who says he did is doing so to detract from him in some way or is just ignorant.

His weight hasnt changed at all. the heaviest he ever gets is prob 170 soaking wet while not training. Hes a slightly large FW.
Lets put this to bed already.

His own team said that he cut from 177 for the first fight. Ask me for a source (or 10). I dare you.

People are very naive about this sort of thing. Floyd sold this bullshit narrative about himself for years, and people bought it even though he rarely looked undersized in the ring.

Then he gets busted for using an IV before the Pacquiao fight and everybody just walks off whistling in the wind pretending they had no part in believing his nonsense. "Who, me? Never!"

You're all doing the exact same thing with Conor. Nevermind that when a fighter is in the cage with a much larger opponent, it's visible and obvious and right there in front of you, and that sort of dynamic was clearly not at work with either fight between Conor and Nate (although something differeny might be said for Conor v Mendes or Conor v Siver).

But who ya gonna believe? Conor or your lyin' eyes?

Cutting a couple extra pounds could be an attempt at psychological warfare. Conor may have cut to 168, trying to make Nate think that would be his max weight, so Nate would be overconfident in his size advantage.

Conor is used to cutting a lot of water weight for FW. Cutting to 168 to gain a possible advantage would be very easy for him.

Not entirely true. If there was zero weight cutting, two fighters could be in the same weight class and still have 15 lbs between them. With guys cutting, it's pretty rare that there is a greater discrepancy than that on fight night. And, in fact, the cut probably helps to tighten the weight gap overall, considering that without cutting guys who weighed 157 would be fighting in the same division as guys who weighed 171.

How is that? Do you think a person can gain 16 lbs in a few hours?

There's confusion here? Conor ain't that big and that's why he shreds to make 145 and say Nate probably can't or he probably would because he's larger... funny how this works.

I remember Dustin Poirer releasing a video about why he was going up to LW. He was in fairly good shape (definitely not fat) and weighed in at 180.something if I recall correctly. If he weighs that much walking around, I can't help but think Conor weighs more than 170 walking around, especially considering he looks like Skeletor when he weighs in at 145. I could be wrong, but it's hard to picture Dustin walking around bigger/heavier than Conor.

How is that? Do you think a person can gain 16 lbs in a few hours?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

But without weight cutting, if you weigh 157 lbs, you are a WW, and that means some of the people in your weight class will weigh 171 lbs (with the one lb allowance) and outweight you by 14 lbs.

But WITH weight cutting, if you weigh 157 lbs, you cut a lb down to 156 lbs (with the 1 lb allowance), and you are a LW.

As to your question, yes. It is possible to cut 16 lbs and then gain it back in a few hours. Happens all the time.

Cutting a couple extra pounds could be an attempt at psychological warfare. Conor may have cut to 168, trying to make Nate think that would be his max weight, so Nate would be overconfident in his size advantage.

Conor is used to cutting a lot of water weight for FW. Cutting to 168 to gain a possible advantage would be very easy for him.
not just psychological warfare imo, but also to mislead people who don't think more than 2 steps into things.

"he came in at 168, so that means he didn't cut!!#!!$$, AND he fought 190 pounds Nate!!!$!#%!$!!!"

Again, that's just my opinion.

There's confusion here? Conor ain't that big and that's why he shreds to make 145 and say Nate probably can't or he probably would because he's larger... funny how this works.

Yes. But let's also remember that Nate does cut to 155 lbs. Which is only 10 lbs more than what Conor fights at. And it's not likely that Nate generally cuts more than Conor. So they're likely within 10 lbs... which is about what it looks like when you see them in the cage together, and which isn't a particularly large weight difference (especially considering that the weight ranges for FW and LW are 10 lbs top to bottom, and for WW it's 15 lbs).

The "they have weight classes for a reason" bit doesn't really speak to a 10 lb difference. The weight classes are built to accommodate that.

So, apparently, Conor didn't cut any weight and came in at a walkaround weight (post-training camp) of 168 pounds.

Conor repeated how he had to force his weight up because he was so light, basically forcing himself to eat. And of course, he was "on steaks", basically eating whatever he wanted and apparently that only got him up to 168pounds.

So, if Conor on steaks + force-feed diet = 168 pounds pre-cut, then it should be safe to acknowledge that Conor on salad plus a strictly controlled diet weighs less than steak-diet Conor.

So, based on what I just mentioned, while Conor was fighting at 145 and living off plants- he must have been around 160 pounds before cutting weight.

Now, this would mean that Conor had to cut around 15 pounds to make 145, which is a relatively basic cut, comparatively. So, why did he come in to the weigh-ins looking like a half-dead zombie?

What do you guys think?

giphy.gif

Sorry to quote all the bullshit. Just wanted to say I've never seen this gif before. Now that I have, not a fucking chance Conor goes back to 145

Conor's own coach, John Kavanaugh said : "The interesting thing about this fight being at 170 pounds is that neither Conor nor his opponent will need to cut weight and then have to contend with any potential implications of that."

http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-column-4-march-2016-2642011-Mar2016/

John Kavanaugh says Conor & Nate are similar in size.
Kav says a LOT of things doesn't he? I doubt he even keeps track of what he says because he suggested that next fight will be at 155 so that there's no size advantage, or something like that, and hence the finish would be easier.

Coach K things...

That's the only angle I can possibly see. Fight night weigh ins would be sooooooo revealing. I don't know why this is so hidden.

If you watch the embeded videos and compare what his nutritionist was feeding him before and after the weigh-ins you can definitely tell he was cutting before the weigh-ins, and splooging on food after.

My guess is he only cut 5-10 pounds though. I don't see Conor weighing more than 175ish.

Last edited:
could be a few reasons, perhaps he was aiming to maximize off the smaller fighter vs much larger dude angle.

he did say post-fight that Nate was 190 pounds on fight night, which isn't true.

It makes zero sense to cut two pounds more than you have to. He didn't cut any weight to make WW.

Your assumptions in the OP don't make sense tbh.

A steak heavy or strictly controlled diet that isn't limited in calories could keep a fighter at the same weight. Their v02, anaerobic and other performance markers are vastly different.

You think he cut two extra pounds for fun? Lol what?

When you're used to cutting 25+ pounds, then go to only having to cut 5-10 pounds, it's very, very easy to cut a few extra pounds by accident.

When you're used to cutting 25+ pounds, then go to only having to cut 5-10 pounds, it's very, very easy to cut a few extra pounds by accident.
so you're suggesting that Conor did indeed cut weight for the fight, right?

Back