Conor McGregor: "After my first defeat, I had no respect for jiu-jitsu.”

Did any of u mcnugget nuthuggers happen to hear what his corner was yelling when mcnugget "swept" diaz lol

29906170001_3184068288001_vs-52f9a23fe4b0b5583ed0e528-782203289001.jpg

I laughed.

@MayhemMonkey919

I take it you aren't going to/can't tell me who Kavanaugh trained under to determine whether or not he is a "legit black belt". I'll just chalk it up to more hyperbole to do with Conor on your part. Cheers!

Conor likes to pretend he didn't lose due to being outboxed by a superior boxer in Nate. That's what forced him into panic wrestle mode, which is funny, since Conor has said, "I turn them into panic wrestlers."

He was gassed and hurt.

First round is the one that says anything about his ground. Anyone can get finished when gassed and hurt.

I guess you never seen Big Nogs old fights, or Frank Mirs, there have been plenty of fighters that have won hurt and gassed

It is very practical in self-defense scenarios.
People usually wear something more than Reebok speedos in the street.

Maybe if you live in Russia, Canada or medieval Japan, but modern t-shirts will rip apart if you grapple against them. The gi teaches you a lot of bullshit, like wrapping your opponent arms with his own gi or choking him out with your gi.

Even many of the gracies street fights were against shirtless foes because in brazil most people wear a light tshirt and board shorts and people usually take of their shirts before street fighting.

Maybe if you live in Russia, Canada or medieval Japan, but modern t-shirts will rip apart if you grapple against them. The gi teaches you a lot of bullshit, like wrapping your opponent arms with his own gi or choking him out with your gi.

Even many of the gracies street fights were against shirtless foes because in brazil most people wear a light tshirt and board shorts and people usually take of their shirts before street fighting.
Only in Russia, Canada or medieval Japan? Haha.
How about most places in the world as the male population like to start fights while they are wearing silly suits/drunk and/or drugged, trying to look cool for the chicks?

It looks like Kavanagh has a legit lineage of teachers, though things may not all be what they seem.

The lineage: Rigan Machado>Matt Thornton>John Kavanagh

Though, while trying to figure all this out I came across an interesting interview with Kavanagh.

7. Please tell us about how you first met Gunnar Nelson. I heard that even though he was your student, you were ok with the fact that Renzo Gracie promoted him to black belt instead of you, why is that so?

I met Gunni about 9yrs ago. Actually I just recently saw a video of the first private lesson i gave him, and it funny seeing him all awkward and beginnerish. Also funny seeing him use the techniques I showed him to win a UFC fight 7yrs later!
It was of course a great honor to have someone like Renzo Gracie recognize his abilities and and award him his black belt. I probably have a different view of belts in BJJ than most people, losing a family member to cancer is serious…BJJ is not.

http://www.bjjee.com/interview/meet-john-kavanagh-pioneer-of-bjj-in-ireland-conor-mcgregors-coach/

So if he doesn't think it's "serious" to promote someone, it certainly stands to reason that Conor's brown belt may not be legit, despite Kavanagh's lineage in jiu jitsu.

Gym's don't give the belts out, qualified personal do that and I'm not a bjj practitioner either, in fact I hate Gi's. Which is why I didn't learn judo.
Actually from what I've been made to understand, anyone can give anyone a BJJ belt, it just isn't credible unless it is under someone respected.
I believe the Gracie system is the only one with specific requirements for each belt level.
This is just what I've been told though, I have all no- gi experience for my training.

Nothing a long sleeve shirt won't aid in. Or a jacket of some kind(like an army jacket, or something else made of durable fabric). Let's not pretend that anything even half way sturdy won't be a significant advantage to someone who knows how to use it.

Actually from what I've been made to understand, anyone can give anyone a BJJ belt, it just isn't credible unless it is under someone respected.
I believe the Gracie system is the only one with specific requirements for each belt level.
This is just what I've been told though, I have all no- gi experience for my training.

That's correct. Any instructor can award a belt at any time they choose. It may not mean shit to anyone in the know, but someone can most certainly be a black belt at some McDojo academy without actually being a legit blackbelt.

If I was to practice I'd go for the no-gi option myself.

He's a BROWN BELT for 2 years now and got owned like that by Nate??? What in the actual fcuk is going on here?
Funniest part is Nate was promoted from brown belt not too long ago. Cesar Gracie doesn't hand anything out.

He's a BROWN BELT for 2 years now and got owned like that by Nate??? What in the actual fcuk is going on here?
Haha, yeah, Nate is a beginner in BJJ, it's no excuse to have your face punched in and gas tank empty when you're against a noob like a Diaz bro on the mat.

That's correct. Any instructor can award a belt at any time they choose. It may not mean shit to anyone in the know, but someone can most certainly be a black belt at some McDojo academy without actually being a legit blackbelt.
It's crazy right?

When you hear the term "legit" referring to a belt in the bjj community it means it was actually earned and is symbolic of the person who earned it being comparable in skill and proficiency to other people with legitimate credentials. This is why you tournaments are so great.

In my experience there are schools that literally just want money. Many times they are under extremely legit practitioners sadly. I won't name names but there are literally so many places now that are handing out belts just for showing up and checking off your name on a sheet of paper at the school.

When I first got into it the only guy that had credentials I could train with near me was a purple belt. This was in the late 2003 or so. The first black belt I found was very legit under Christiano Marcello at chute boxe. He knew and trained with many of the biggest mma stars from Brazil. The problem was he only cared about money and would give kids the belts that paid for private lessons no matter their skill and would award it seemed to make it look like his school had more talent.

I left there and found a legit place never looking back. Their female stripe white belts were whooping on me and another guy that were offered blue belts at that first school. The black belts running this school are huge now from nothing. But they were young kids that earned every belt by going to Naga and clearing out their division literally.

You will find a lot of videos that promote to black belt and it can be certified and all. That doesn't matter is the point. Plenty of legit persay people giving out belts to nobodies. The question is did you legitimately earn that belt. Can you walk into Naga or grapplers quest and hold your own not just at weight but also at open weight or absoluto. All good bjj guys care most how they do in open weight. The real world doesn't have weight classes.

This is why Rickson is a legend. His black belts will submit almost any black belt on the planet. He doesn't do color belts only white and black and he will set you back to white if you come to his school from another. He only teaches now for people to defend themselves not for mma.

Last edited:
Serious question.

Is the brown belt that was given to Conor, for jiu jitsu? Why would he give him a brown belt in jiu jitsu after beating, Dustin?

Could the brown belt be for Kavanagh's 'system/gym'? Like the way Greg Jackson gives out black belts in, Gaidojutsu?

It looks like Kavanagh has a legit lineage of teachers, though things may not all be what they seem.

The lineage: Rigan Machado>Matt Thornton>John Kavanagh

Though, while trying to figure all this out I came across an interesting interview with Kavanagh.

http://www.bjjee.com/interview/meet-john-kavanagh-pioneer-of-bjj-in-ireland-conor-mcgregors-coach/

So if he doesn't think it's "serious" to promote someone, it certainly stands to reason that Conor's brown belt may not be legit, despite Kavanagh's lineage in jiu jitsu.

wait, he really said AFTER his first defeat? if he said before, it would make somewhat sense, but the guy got taken down and choked out in like 20 sec, int he first round none the less...

that kind of ignorance wont do him any good...

wait, he already got wrecked by nate. good riddance.

Conor likes to pretend he didn't lose due to being outboxed by a superior boxer in Nate. That's what forced him into panic wrestle mode, which is funny, since Conor has said, "I turn them into panic wrestlers."

Yeah, that's why I wanted to see Nate KO him with GNP or stand him back up.

Conor was on his way to getting KTFO and he knew it. That's why he went for the takedown to get choked out to save some embarrassment.

Serious question.

Is the brown belt that was given to Conor, for jiu jitsu? Why would he give him a brown belt in jiu jitsu after beating, Dustin?

Could the brown belt be for Kavanagh's 'system/gym'? Like the way Greg Jackson gives out black belts in, Gaidojutsu?

I suppose it's possible that the belt was simply for his own gym, but I haven't heard of/read about any specialized system Kavanagh has going. As far as I know his lineage would suggest a straight up gracie jiu jitsu like system. But what we have seen from Conor, he's nowhere near brown belt in anything to do with the ground.

I haven't heard of Kavanagh having his own system, either. I just remember Jackson doing that, had to look up the goofy name he gave his system. Figured that is what the brown belt can be for, which would make A LOT more sense.

I agree, he's not brown belt material when it comes to the ground.

I'll save his fans the trouble... X-Guard! X-Guard! X-Guard!

I suppose it's possible that the belt was simply for his own gym, but I haven't heard of/read about any specialized system Kavanagh has going. As far as I know his lineage would suggest a straight up gracie jiu jitsu like system. But what we have seen from Conor, he's nowhere near brown belt in anything to do with the ground.

Back