Conor has still been exposed...

TS is right, cardio over five rounds is probably a relevant hole in Conor's game. It also showed he doesn't like constant pressure. That's what the Diaz fights showed us. The fights also showed us Diaz has holes in his game too - he doesn't move his head much, he can be out struck with a diverse striking game, and he hasn't learned to check kicks at all.

That's kind of what happens when you put two elite fighters in different weight classes against each other - they'll both bring out the worst qualities in the other's game. Conor made Diaz's boxing look sloppy and slow; Diaz made Conor's endurance and power look shitty.

Both are great fighters with really quite opposite strengths who look a lot better when fighting people in their own divisions. I don't think cardio will be a big factor when Conor goes back to fighting 145ers and Diaz sure as shit isn't going to get picked apart like that on the feet against bigger 155ers.

And when I make a thread in the other narrative it gets instanly wastelanded.... no wonder this place is dead and everyone went to /r/mma instead

hqdefault.jpg

it turns out when you spend energy knocking down a guy three times, you don't last as long in a fight.

Who'da thunk?

Nate fought for the title once and is a top 5.

Don't act like he isn't elite now, haters.

8 minutes into a fight he was in complete control of, he gassed out and started getting his ass kicked.

I know everyone is celebrating his heart now and skills, and respect to him, it was a GREAT win.

But let's all be honest with each other, the guy has a major hole in his game. And he has now had his ass handed to him twice, by a LW that couldn't break the top 5 in the division.

Diaz challenged for the title as the #1 contender and was ranked #4 when they removed him from the rankings.

But aure couldnt break the top 5....

So you're basically saying Diaz can't finish a guy who's gassed in a 3 round fight? Got it.

Doesn't mean it will be a problem going forward. Just means folks are always looking for a reason to bash fighters

He supposedly focused on cardio for 5 months for this fight so still gassing out 8 minutes into the fight should mean its going to continue to be a problem. Unless its a fight he's allowed to coast in like the Holloway one.

Wasn't as gassed as people believe, a very biased commentary team might have had something to do with it.
Won the 4th round after he was supposedly "exhausted" from the end of the 2nd round.

He supposedly focused on cardio for 5 months for this fight so still gassing out 8 minutes into the fight should mean its going to continue to be a problem.

Maybe over training is a thing.

Maybe the next fight doesn't go 8 minutes.

Maybe he DIDN'T really focus on cardio for 5 months.

Maybe the conditions of the next fight don't lend to him gassing, regardless of the duration.

I just realized where I've seen all this Diaz/McGregor fiasco before and why this has all felt so familiar... we just did this dance 6 months ago with Silva/Bisping.

Like it's literally the same arguments. Almost the exact same scenarios. Bisping drops Silva in the 1st. Bisping drops Silva again in the 2nd. Bisping is handily winning the fight. Silva then turns things around in round 3 and steals the round with a last second flurry. This will become important after the fight and after Bisping wins the decision. Silva then loses his momentum in round 4 and doesn't capitlize, and Bisping takes the round. Silva then wins round 5.

It's an extremely clear 3-2 victory for Bisping. Yet after Bisping wins, the Silva fans come pouring out saying that Silva should've gotten a 10-8 round in round 3, even though he lost 4:50 of the round. Which would force a draw. Nobody claimed this 10-8 until after Bisping had won the fight and they were looking to try and justify Silva not losing to Bisping. And not only that, but Silva fans came out and said that Bisping's knockdowns weren't legit, that they didn't really count. That rounds that were clear Bisping rounds could be scored as Silva rounds. Silva fans were doing everything possible to try and say that Bisping didn't beat Silva 3-2.

It's literally the same thing going on here with Diaz/McGregor. Same "that should've been a 10-8 round!!!", "those knockdowns don't mean anything bro", "he would've won under Pride rules", etc. I knew this felt familiar for some reason, and it finally clicked that it's literally what happened after Silva/Bisping. People just can't accept their fighter losing.

Most fighters would never have made it past the first round anyway, not many fighters have a chin like Diaz.

Not to mention that Diaz is 6ft,ft and was probably close to 180 in the fight, Conor struggled to even get his weight up to the WW limit.

This was Nates 6th fight at WW, he has even missed weight for LW in the past and took Rory Mcdonald to decision at WW.

Fact is diaz is comfortable at WW, Conor is too small for that weight class yet still beat him.

How does a #5 ranked LW not break the top 5?

Probably the same guys that bitch about UFC ranking.. I am a Nate fan but he is a fringe top 10 guy at LW and nowhere near it at WW.. UFC bumped his ranking to build up Conor.

Conor has suspect cardio..So does Rumble and a bunch of other fighters..Doesn't mean he can't win but at some point it will bite him in the ass again.

But I guess because I criticize then I must be salty.

Back