Cole Miller: My strained relationship with the UFC...

Also Cole Miller and his management probably suck at negotiation

Honestly who the hell is Cole Miller
Very crafty submission fighter. Doesn't look like much of a fighter, but he has the BJJ skill to set up submissions that nobody saw coming. He may not have been able to beat the best or the 10th best for that matter, but he made prelims and UFC FN fun to watch

I'll casually kick your ass u spooky weirdo
XAxaV.gif

If he gets 16/16 and wins 2 fights a year thats 64k plus an extra 10k from reebok. Its not bad especially for really only 8 months of work.

How do taxes work again? State and federal are taking about 30% right from the get go. Then u have camp expenses, manger expenses. I'd argue that most fighters keep half of what they see

If he gets 16/16 and wins 2 fights a year thats 64k plus an extra 10k from reebok. Its not bad especially for really only 8 months of work.
If you think that 64K is doing well, then you have no concept of real-world money. And he's a semi-famous professional athlete working for a billion dollar organization -- you'd think he'd make more than 64K.

Also, training expenses eat a good chunk of that.

Feel bad for Cole but he doesn't wet peoples interest.

I agree. The ufc is said to be cutting down events next year and I say good.

Trim the roster and cut a lot of the mediocre guys and journeyman guys that clearly wont be anywhere near the top 20. (that would be a few hundred), IT would be a cost saver, plus the remaining fighters will get paid more, plus cards would be more stacked.

I'm all for a roster trim. I feel like the UFC should only be a place for fighters who can get themselves into title contention in their division. I've always envisioned each division with only the top 25 fighters in the world.
But what do you suppose is the minimum amount of fighters, per division, that can be employed and still have 2-3 fights a year and account for injury replacement?

I'm all for a roster trim. I feel like the UFC should only be a place for fighters who can get themselves into title contention in their division. I've always envisioned each division with only the top 25 fighters in the world.
But what do you suppose is the minimum amount of fighters, per division, that can be employed and still have 2-3 fights a year and account for injury replacement?
good question. I'm sure theres a solid number, maybe something like 30

I wish he would have made it to the Conor fight.

My buddy had a 36/36 deal

Win there's some money

Only get show money

Forget it .... taxes... manager/coach cut.... supplements and diet..... fight week additional costs of food and travel and room for 1-2 extra cornermen(ufc used to cover 1 now 2 I think for travel) 3 months no other income if only training plus maybe a month after fight recover etc no income

This is where sponsors made the big difference and allowed fighters at this range and below to stay profitable

And 36/36 is upper lower level

The 10-10 guys 20-20 , unless they are like 21 living on a friends couch I have no idea why anyone would participate in this sport.

What I don't understand is why the guys who don't make good money are wasting all that on supplements and extra corner men. Save your money. Train within your means.

What I don't understand is why the guys who don't make good money are wasting all that on supplements and extra corner men. Save your money. Train within your means.

Corner men other than Sam alvey bringing his wife , almost all fighters bare minimum want a striking and grappling coach in their corner.... then usually a head coach or friend....

It was a pretty funny dynamic having 3 guys all passively fight for the free air fare

I never cared and always paid my own since I'm not a broke jiu jitsu coach or whatever .

Supplements a lot of guys get the hook up but still a lot of guys don't. Shits expensive... i think it funny on the last embedded when Conor and Tyrone had their encounter... ufc finally had a table full of rehydration drinks and food.

You used to have to go find a good grocery store and buy shit. Just another 100 bucks of a cab ride and and whole foods healthy foods and drinks. And you'd have to time it or or buy one of those shitty coolers. And that cooler never kept shit cold over fight week.

There's just a lot of extra crap that people don't see that really makes this sport expensive for the fighter to participate in.

Corner men other than Sam alvey bringing his wife , almost all fighters bare minimum want a striking and grappling coach in their corner.... then usually a head coach or friend....

It was a pretty funny dynamic having 3 guys all passively fight for the free air fare

I never cared and always paid my own since I'm not a broke jiu jitsu coach or whatever .

Supplements a lot of guys get the hook up but still a lot of guys don't. Shits expensive... i think it funny on the last embedded when Conor and Tyrone had their encounter... ufc finally had a table full of rehydration drinks and food.

You used to have to go find a good grocery store and buy shit. Just another 100 bucks of a cab ride and and whole foods healthy foods and drinks. And you'd have to time it or or buy one of those shitty coolers. And that cooler never kept shit cold over fight week.

There's just a lot of extra crap that people don't see that really makes this sport expensive for the fighter to participate in.

That's just what it is. Extra crap. A guy making 10k to show can't afford that extra crap so shouldn't be wasting money on it. Supplements are an extravagance. 3 coaches are an extravagance. A nutritionist is an extravagance.

19 fights in Ufc. Has never won more than 2 in a row

Made 33k show money in June from a loss.

He's been treated just fine
He's an independent contractor and has designated tax benefits for the title. He can write off training as business expenses for his taxes..

This is a risk that all independent contractors face over many different industries. He's lucky they gave him any money. Most jobs that you work for yourself you eat the cost all yourself.

I'm skeptical of what he's saying as well. I have never heard anyone else pipe up about not getting paid full show money when the Ufc said they'd payout.

True but then there is that "what if" questions like what if I had a better camp/coaches/supplements/nutrition etc...

these fighters are idiots to expect anything else - sad bc the ufc probably promises the world and they are too naive to realize they are getting fcked - but we're all adults

Dana tells them to bring 3 corner men to make it look like the big leagues. But he only pays to fly out and house one of them.

Back