Cole Miller: My strained relationship with the UFC...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I saw this video which is in the sherdog news and Cole is extremely unhappy with the UFC but he is still fighting:

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videointerview/Cole-Miller-My-Strained-Relationship-with-the-UFC-9843

Cliffs:

- Only got 1/3 of his show money for the cancelled October card despite 9 weeks of training camp.

- After going through 9 weeks of training camp and having the fight cancelled, after the expenses he only made 400 dollars in profit.

- He feels that he wants to quit and that he is less passionate for the sport due to the unprofessional treatment of the UFC.

- Might take a job at Starbucks since the paycheck sucks and doesn't want to even fight hard.

- Feels like the UFC hates him and even if he wins he might get cut.

it sucks but if your not a legit elite fighter or a shit talker i would definitely have a plan B.

Middle of the road fighters aren't going to be making life changing money, or even livable income fighting it seems.

Union ftw

Honestly who the hell is Cole Miller

it sucks but if your not a legit elite fighter or a shit talker i would definitely have a plan B.

Middle of the road fighters aren't going to be making life changing money, or even livable income fighting it seems.

Union ftw
Honestly surprised more fighters don't carry another career of some kind.

Honestly surprised more fighters don't carry another career of some kind.
well to be fair to pick a career of destroying your body with weight cutting, brutal camps, and fighting for mediocre pay..im assuming most fighters dont exactly have a legit plan B.

Some fighters do, but most dont

Yea.... But he sucks and nobody likes him. You get paid what ur worth... That's how businesses work

He could always go learn a marketable skill.

Honestly who the hell is Cole Miller

He was on TUF 5 which was a talent rich season of the Ultimate fighter. They had great guys like Nate Diaz, Manny Gambuyan, Joe Lauzon, Marlon Sims, Matt Wiman, Andy Wang, Corey Hill and kickboxing standout Rob Emerson.

Nate won that season and it was a great season!

Union ftw
If he gets 16/16 and wins 2 fights a year thats 64k plus an extra 10k from reebok. Its not bad especially for really only 8 months of work.

If he gets 16/16 and wins 2 fights a year thats 64k. Its not bad especially for really only 8 months of work.
well that IF he can get 2 fights and if he wins both of them. Injuries play a major role not to mention the UFC has like 500 fighters on roster.
Even if he gets 64k, then he pays taxes, gym fees, and other fees, id be surprised if he gets 40k

well to be fair to pick a career of destroying your body with weight cutting, brutal camps, and fighting for mediocre pay..im assuming most fighters dont exactly have a legit plan B.

Some fighters do, but most dont
Yeah it's still a little surprising.
Some fighters get it, others don't. Like Woodley for example left ATT to start his own gym, still holds camps elsewhere but runs an ATT affiliate for profit. Stipe is a champion who is a firefighter. DJ tries to make money as a twitch streamer, seriously that's his stated goal after MMA. Lots of fighters attempt some sort of entrepuenership, but so many more have no other income other than MMA

It's just weird. Unless you're in the top ten MMA really doesn't seem like a legitimate full time career. A lot of dudes out of camp are doing once or twice a day (early morning and nights), and in camp dudes are training three times a day and not every day.

well that IF he can get 2 fights and if he wins both of them. Injuries play a major role not to mention the UFC has like 500 fighters on roster.
Even if he gets 64k, then he pays taxes, gym fees, and other fees, id be surprised if he gets 40k
The roster really is bloated. I hate to see guys cut but its neccessary so guys can get more than one fight a year. But there is no incentive for ufc to do that..so tough position to be in for sure.

The roster really is bloated. I hate to see guys cut but its neccessary so guys can get more than one fight a year.
I agree. The ufc is said to be cutting down events next year and I say good.

Trim the roster and cut a lot of the mediocre guys and journeyman guys that clearly wont be anywhere near the top 20. (that would be a few hundred), IT would be a cost saver, plus the remaining fighters will get paid more, plus cards would be more stacked.

Yea it's funny... a lot of guys back in the day only fought so they could get the gym to take off.

It's like they thought of a life after fighting before they started fighting

They times opening 5-6 gyms during their fight "careers"

A name off top of my head is Jorge gurgel .... pretty sure he executed this plan successfully.
You know who comes to mind currently that is doing it "right" a guy like El CuCuy, who doesn't train at a major camp. I wouldn't be surprised if he's bought into his home gym which is something you can't do at Jacksons, ATT or Blackzillians. Only a limited amount of teaching positions there as well.

Union ftw

Not even sure a union would help fighters like him. Honestly if a union comes I see a bunch of fighters being cut from the UFC and them moving on with what they have left. Since these unions only want to focus on the UFC all the other fighters will be screwed and have joined the union only to lose their own job.

I agree. The ufc is said to be cutting down events next year and I say good.

Trim the roster and cut a lot of the mediocre guys and journeyman guys that clearly wont be anywhere near the top 20. (that would be a few hundred), IT would be a cost saver, plus the remaining fighters will get paid more, plus cards would be more stacked.

I actually don't like that idea. I enjoyed the non stop cards. Anytime I didn't have shit to do on Saturday and just wanted to stay in I still had the UFC to watch at night.

Back