Cole Miller: My strained relationship with the UFC...

That's the catch-22 right there. To survive and thrive in their later years they need to plan better and have something to fall back on. On the other hand, to be a champion you need to dedicate yourself to fighting. None of these guys start out thinking they have no chance at being a champion or a star. If that was the case, why bother at all?
If you're going into a pro-MMA career, you have to be a realist. An injury can easily derail someone's career before it even starts, so you need to have a backup plan.

Yea.... But he sucks and nobody likes him. You get paid what ur worth... That's how businesses work

He could always go learn a marketable skill.

Guys like Cole are never going to make good money. They should know this. So they need to do it for the passion of the sport, or to gain enough UFC fame to start a gym and make money that way.

Getting to say you were a long time UFC fighter is worth a lot to people who want to train. It is an asset that he should exploit.

I often wonder about it.

Don't want to teach Dana and other millionaires how to do this shit....

But surely they must realize that paying those middle level guys well all in all improves average quality of the fights....

Supply/demand aren't the only factors in getting better pay for workers; many workers past and present get paid a decent wage because the workers and the public at large put pressure on employers for better pay and benefits. When the public sides with ownership and workers aren't united it just results in more money being concentrated in a small group of owners/investors. Personally I'd rather see Cole Miller clear $100,000 (before expenses) rather than have Dana dump an extra pound of artificial snow on his Las Vegas driveway or purchase a Lambo he drives twice a year. Cole puts his body on the line and works just as hard as Dana. He's what people are paying to see. Confounds me that supposed fans of the sport basically say "fuck you get a real job" to the most dedicated athletes that play the sport they allegedly love. Makes no sense especially for someone like Cole who is a veteran that has consistently put on exciting fights.

Name calling because of a simple question LOL. Wow

I’m not a fighter so I don’t know exactly how it works.

Apologies for asking a simple question all knowing Demigod.

Surely you pay taxes though???????????

I am not an accountant. The information i was spouting was not 'all knowing demigod' level. It was Jr or Sr in High School level.

Surely you pay taxes though???????????

I am not an accountant. The information i was spouting was not 'all knowing demigod' level. It was Jr or Sr in High School level.
I work and do my taxes yes. I actually have my taxes done by someone else though. I’m not even nipping at 75k a year as I work an average of 32 hours a week while I go to school full time.

None of these guys start out thinking they have no chance at being a champion or a star. If that was the case, why bother at all?

I think that's a huge problem right there. Many of these guys aren't being realistic about their ability inside the cage and their likelihood of making a decent amount of money. In many fields of employment, hard work, desire, and ambition can only take you so far, particularly in professional sports.

Most fighters should realize this and if they still continue to fight, for the love of the sport, then so be it. No need to complain about compensation because they are fighting because that's what they're passionate about.

In Cole Miller's case, I think he should have realized, very early on, that he didn't have what it takes to be well paid ufc fighted. He was never going to sniff a championship. Cole didn't have any of the natural abilities it takes to be remotely competitive against the top contenders. Combine that with the fact that he didn't have the personality, look, charasim or exciting fighting style that appeals to most fans and u have all the makings of a fighter that chose the wrong profession. Unless of course he's doing for the love of the sport, in that case, he has no room to complain about compensation.

Back