Cole Miller: My strained relationship with the UFC...

If he gets 16/16 and wins 2 fights a year thats 64k plus an extra 10k from reebok. Its not bad especially for really only 8 months of work.
Its 64k before tax and training camp costs

Its like 35-40k MAX after deductions

Which is definitely not enough for the future, not to mention if you have a family to support

I'm not sure why so many people prefer that the UFC pockets more in profits rather than pay the fighters enough to behave like actual professionals. It would only improve the product. Dana White or whomever buying their 50th car helps you how?

Is everyone super stoked to celebrate the one year anniversary of this thread? Just a few more days!
Ogata just came down from a yearlong LSD trip and has things on his mind!

Honestly who the hell is Cole Miller

A pretty damned good fighter who always throws down and has some excellent submission skills.

He may not be worth 150k per fight, but he has some legitimate grievances here, such as how the UFC selectively pays out show money to fighters when their opponents are unable to compete last-minute. This has been an ongoing issue. There needs to be some bottom line worked out for these situations.

Another thread that pretends only MMA fighters pay taxes?

Fighters don't get enough respect considering that they single handedly fund the military, public education, police, fire department, and court system.

The training and managerial expenses for sure could be an issue for fighters that only make around what the average person does.

How do taxes work again? State and federal are taking about 30% right from the get go.

LOL- You must have never paid income taxes in your life you nimrod. Any fighter that is making $75K a year in gross income is not paying anywhere near 30%. They are probably getting money back from the government ffs.

His health insurance- Deductible as a cost
Any equipment- Deductible as a cost
Agent/Manager/Coach/Gym- Deductible as a cost
Supplements and probably a chunk of his food- Deductible as a cost.

Mileage on his car to and from anywhere business related including to the gym, interviews, airports, anything-To the tune of 54 cents per mile-Deductible as a cost. I bet there are fighters out there that eat up 2/3 of their tax liability driving a POS car worth 7-8K for 45,000 miles a year. I Have a 2004 Camry with 239,000 miles on it worth maybe 2K that I drive almost 60K miles a year, netting $32000 straight off the bottom line.

Those are straight up costs. That will take the 75 K down to 40K or so if not even lower. Then of course he will be getting to peel of a chunk of his rent and utilities as business expenses.

And from there they will get an additional 5K-20K in exemptions and deductions from their 1040.

Taxable income on 75K in gross income for a UFC fighter could very well be 'negative'. But for sure and for certain they would maybe paying in the 10% bracket for most of their taxable income, which would almost certainly be under 10K. So figure Maybe $1000 in income tax. TOTAL

Last edited:
LOL- You must have never paid income taxes in your life you nimrod. Any fighter that is making $75K a year in gross income is not paying anywhere near 30%. They are probably getting money back from the government ffs.

His health insurance- Deductible as a cost
Any equipment- Deductible as a cost
Agent/Manager/Coach/Gym- Deductible as a cost
Supplements and probably a chunk of his food- Deductible as a cost.

Mileage on his car to and from anywhere business related including to the gym, interviews, airports, anything-To the tune of 54 cents per mile-Deductible as a cost. I bet there are fighters out there that eat up 2/3 of their tax liability driving a POS car worth 7-8K for 45,000 miles a year. I Have a 2004 Camry with 239,000 miles on it worth maybe 2K that I drive almost 60K miles a year, netting $32000 straight off the bottom line.

Those are straight up costs. That will take the 75 K down to 40K or so if not even lower. Then of course he will be getting to peel of a chunk of his rent and utilities as business expenses.

And from there they will get an additional 5K-20K in exemptions and deductions from their 1040.

Taxable income on 75K in gross income for a UFC fighter could very well be 'negative'. But for sure and for certain they would maybe paying in the 10% bracket for most of their taxable income, which would almost certainly be under 10K. So figure Maybe $1000 in income tax. TOTAL
Name calling because of a simple question LOL. Wow

I’m not a fighter so I don’t know exactly how it works.

Apologies for asking a simple question all knowing Demigod.

remember when the cameraman that his bro was the fighter . chuckles were had

Didn't he get offered a fight with McGregor because he was calling him out a couple years ago, and then he pulled out of the fight? I like Cole, a lot of people don't but the guy has legit stand up and ground skills. He is a gatekeeper at best, though.

Wasnt reebok going to fix this? Fpr the low fighter who needs extra money...
Dana is so full of it. He pocketed it..

Honestly surprised more fighters don't carry another career of some kind.

That's the catch-22 right there. To survive and thrive in their later years they need to plan better and have something to fall back on. On the other hand, to be a champion you need to dedicate yourself to fighting. None of these guys start out thinking they have no chance at being a champion or a star. If that was the case, why bother at all?

Dana tells them to bring 3 corner men to make it look like the big leagues. But he only pays to fly out and house one of them.

A lower level fighter like Cole doesn't need 3 corner men. He will never sniff a title shot his entire career or even be in the top 10. He's wasting his money.

I'm not sure why so many people prefer that the UFC pockets more in profits rather than pay the fighters enough to behave like actual professionals. It would only improve the product. Dana White or whomever buying their 50th car helps you how?

I often wonder about it.

Don't want to teach Dana and other millionaires how to do this shit....

But surely they must realize that paying those middle level guys well all in all improves average quality of the fights....

Honestly who the hell is Cole Miller

Comon, 3 pages without

gifs_08.gif

That's what happens when you fuck with Andy Wang.

Its 64k before tax and training camp costs

Its like 35-40k MAX after deductions

Which is definitely not enough for the future, not to mention if you have a family to support

The median household income in 2016 was a record high at $59,039, also before taxes, which means he's doing better than the average household. Might he be below the average household with training expenses? Sure. But if he has a family to support he probably also has a wife to help support it, and that would almost certainly cover the training expenses and some and make them an above average household, with a heck of a lot more time off to spend with said family. I'm not saying a he shouldn't be paid more, as he's likely contributing more than some of the other people pulling from the UFC profits, but it's a perfectly great salary compared to the general population.

Of course, that's assuming he gets two fights a year and wins both (or gets three and wins one). What sucks about compensation for UFC fighters is the uncertainty. But the gross amount is generally excellent.

Back