COBRA KAI - Karate Kid TV Sequel (Season One)

If you have seen the entire season one of COBRA KAI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh. . .

That's interesting. No, I have not seen these.

I think that storyline does seem like it could be a legitimate way to go but I don't think that kid there is right for the character of Mike Barnes at all. He was great as Snake though.

Regarding that second video, WTF? Was he just ad-libbing there? Seems hard to believe someone would've written that for a Karate Kid movie.

Oh,’I agree the guy that is doing this screen test sucked as Barnes, it was the director’s son, and I believe they were probably just bouncing some ideas prior to the film being shot.

Yeah, the second one was very weird. I had to kinda chuckle at it.

And it is rumored that Mike Barnes will be back for season 2.

Oh,’I agree the guy that is doing this screen test sucked as Barnes, it was the director’s son, and I believe they were probably just bouncing some ideas prior to the film being shot.

Yeah, the second one was very weird. I had to kinda chuckle at it.

And it is rumored that Mike Barnes will be back for season 2.

I've heard the Mike Barnes rumors. I think Sean Kanan may have even hinted at his return though I'm not sure about that. Also heard Terry Silver and Ali might return in some capacity as well.

I guess we will just have to see.

If they do bring Barnes and Silver back it's going to become a very different show from S1, I think. More soap opera-esque.

I feel like this direction was even hinted at a bit with the way Kreese shows up like a Bond villain and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I've heard the Mike Barnes rumors. I think Sean Kanan may have even hinted at his return though I'm not sure about that. Also heard Terry Silver and Ali might return in some capacity as well.

I guess we will just have to see.

If they do bring Barnes and Silver back it's going to become a very different show from S1, I think. More soap opera-esque.

I feel like this direction was even hinted at a bit with the way Kreese shows up like a Bond villain and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I think they’re just having fun with it. But I agree, they shouldn’t make it into a soap opera. But we have to remember, Terry Silver did own that brand and he did buy it for his Vietnam buddy. So, they(Kreese and Silver)may use it against him to get back at Daniel I.e. Terry Silver has never failed anything besides beating Laruso! But I do think they should be wise and don’t have them have huge roles in the series. I want to see continued dynamics of season 1.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the arc grow with Miguel and Johnny’s son.

They did own the name Cobra Kai but doesn't that shit have an expiration date?

I mean shit its been 40 years or somethin

They did own the name Cobra Kai but doesn't that shit have an expiration date?

I mean shit its been 40 years or somethin

Trademarks expire after a period of a few years if you do not renew them. Who knows what they will cook up for the story though? Maybe Terry Silver has been renewing the trademark for some reason...

Has this been posted yet? He still looks great. They should definitely include him in Season 2.

The thing about the cast was it didn't feel forced. The movies where this kind of thing stands out are the ones where it feels shoehorned in like The Last Jedi. There were black and Asian competitors in the tournament in the first film 30 years ago.

So space is only for white people?

A safe "space"?

Snowflakes.

The fuck are you even talking about?

The concept that having black and asian actors in that film was forced diversity.

It's absurd and racist. And you're not the first one to bring it up.

So I ask, if you felt that diverse casting was forced, were you operating under the impression that only white people can be in space in a fictional star wars setting?

The concept that having black and asian actors in that film was forced diversity.

So I ask, if you felt that diverse casting was forced, were you operating under the impression that only white people can be in space in a fictional star wars setting?

Take this fucking shit out of the Cobra Kai thread

Cobra Kai is too good for this shit

Let's be real, this all seems a bit gay

Has this been posted yet? He still looks great. They should definitely include him in Season 2.

That's pretty interesting. Good find. He has indeed aged well.

Pretty interesting behind-the-scenes info. I doubt I'll ever be able to watch the movie again without thinking about him being just out of the hospital and fucked up and having all kinds of staples in his body.

Honestly the race part didn't bother me. It's that almost every character was a hilariously miscast woman.

Keep it up with the everything is racist bullshit though, it makes you a totally interesting person to talk to.

Someone posted another video of him in this thread where he hinted that he would be in the next season of Cobra Kai. I can totally see a Johnny vs. Mike loser walks/winner takes the Cobra Kai name face off.

Just finished the season.

They knocked it out of the fucking park.

The best TV series of the year so far is made by youtube. Lol.

We are officially in the future

KARATE KID TV Sequel, Starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka, a Go at YouTube Red

HDwKf1j.jpg

Three decades after The Karate Kid, original stars Ralph Macchio and William Zabka are heading back to the dojo. The duo are set to reprise their roles as underdog Daniel LaRusso (Macchio) and bully Johnny Lawrence (Zabka) in a 10-episode straight-to-series follow-up called Cobra Kai for subscription service YouTube Red.

The series, set to bow in 2018, is set 30 years after the events of the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament and revolves around a down and out Johnny who, seeking redemption, reopens the infamous Cobra Kai dojo. It reignites his rivalry with a now-successful Daniel, who has been struggling to maintain balance in his life without the guidance of his mentor, Mr. Miyagi (the late Pat Morita). The half-hour comedy follows the duo addressing demons from their past and present frustrations — through (what else?) karate.

Josh Heald (Hot Tub Time Machine) as well as duo Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg (Harold and Kumar) will pen the script and exec produce alongside Macchio and Zabka. Hurwitz and Schlossberg will direct much of the series. Will Smith's Sony Pictures Television Studios-based Overbrook Entertainment will exec produce with James Lassiter and Caleeb Pinkett overseeing for the company.

Macchio and Zabka are expected to make an appearance Friday at YouTube's portion of the Television Critics Association's summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

"Like everyone who grew up in the 1980s, the three of us are enormous fans of The Karate Kid,” Heald, Hurwitz and Schlossberg said in a joint statement. "Cobra Kai will be a true continuation of the original films — packed with comedy, heart and thrilling fight scenes. We can’t wait to reignite the LaRusso-Lawrence rivalry, and we’re thankful to our partners at YouTube Red, Sony Pictures Television and Overbrook for their shared enthusiasm in making our dream project a reality."

The series landed at YouTube Red following a competitive bidding process that sources say also included offers from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and AMC after Macchio and Zabka pitched the series all over town. Macchio appeared in all three original Karate Kid features, while Zabka had roles in the first two. "They were enthusiastic and fun," YouTube global head of originals Susanne Daniels tells THR of the pitch meeting. "I don’t know whether they had rehearsed it, but they played the parts of their characters well. More than anything, it was just amazing to see them together again."

Daniels, who said Karate Kid still resonates with YouTube users today, noted that the series comes as part of an effort to age up YouTube Red's demographic from 18-34 to the more advertiser-coveted 18-49 set. "It had all the elements you look for in a strong show. It had heart, it had laughs, it had drama, it had characters with strong points of view. All of it was there in the pitch," Daniels said.

Asked specifically why they were ditching the familiar Karate Kid title in favor of Cobra Kai, Daniels said it was driven by the story. "If The Karate Kid was Daniel’s story, Cobra Kai is equal parts Daniel and Johnny’s story. Also because this is a series and not a movie, we really wanted to reimagine how the story was told. Changing the name made sense as part of that."

'Karate Kid' TV Sequel, Starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka, a Go at YouTube Red (Exclusive)

Hmmm... I love the 2 coming back for a spin off... strange they said it was a comedy... but whatever... I'll give it a try.

@EvilDDS @Ottawaguy

Seen half a season and this is not a sad cash grab.. nope this has heart.. it's good even really good to great if you let yourselves go and enjoy the campy feel of the Karate Kid world.

If you guys didn't see it yet put it on the list this show is fun.

Yo @Clippy you Cobra Kai or what ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back