Coast Guard removes employee from Florence duty over alleged "white power" gesture

The biggest sin here is making people paranoid about anything and everything.

It’s not enough to not be racist. You have to avoid the perception of racism in a world where the slightest symbol could spark an outrage.

This is no way to live.

But who is "making" people act like this? Sadly, I think people are doing it to themselves. The internet is allowing people to live in their bubbles, in this case convincing each other than there are racists around every corner.

I think the 4chan folks are geniuses, and I don't use that term often. They just convinced millions of people that the "OK" sign is a white supremacist symbol, and they did it with a single forum post. Better for their cause, they've exposed the mental illness of their political enemies.

But who is "making" people act like this? Sadly, I think people are doing it to themselves. The internet is allowing people to live in their bubbles, in this case convincing each other than there are racists around every corner.

I think the 4chan folks are geniuses, and I don't use that term often. They just convinced millions of people that the "OK" sign is a white supremacist symbol, and they did it with a single forum post. Better for their cause, they've exposed the mental illness of their political enemies.

It’s all fun and games until someone’s job is on the line, though.

Why are you so sure this dude even heard of it being a racist meme? I have heard of the punch game for like 25 years, but this thread is the first time I ever heard of the okay sign having anything to do with white power or racism

Same here except 35 years. My Jewish kids play the circle/punch game too. Will be tough to break the news that they’re actually Nazis - on Erev Yam Kippur no less :(

I’m really not sure millions of people are even aware of it.

From Vice:

An article on Wikibin – a graveyard for old Wikipedia entries deemed too worthless or factually shaky to exist – turned up. It was about The Circle Game. It listed the rules, the various monikers – and named a creator: Matt Nelson, of New Bremen, Ohio. According to the entry, he invented the game in the early-1980s.

What does CNN or Fox News have to do with this?

Where did I say they had anything to do with this? Insert whatever organization you want . . . I'm asking why it matters where this idiot works. I simply chose them as examples of where someone might work. Good grief.

Can you not answer the question?

Where did I say they had anything to do with this? Insert whatever organization you want . . . I'm asking why it matters where this idiot works. I simply chose them as examples of where someone might work. Good grief.

Because I think that people who work for the Coast Guard should be held to a higher standard than someone who works at McDonald's. Same thing when it comes to the potus.

Because I think that people who work for the Coast Guard should be held to a higher standard than someone who works at McDonald's. Same thing when it comes to the potus.

Meh . . . working for the USCG doesn't necessarily make you more special than another worker for some other agency or department.

What does McDonald's have to do with this? (You left a hanging curve out there dude . . . )

I don't mind them dismissing members who are racist. But so far we don't know if this guy in the story was a racist.

True, but everything is public relations these days. The gesture was bad for business. Feel sorry for the guy if he wasn't.

It matters because the UCMJ spies to the coast guard. I see no situation where this doesn't violate article 134

From Vice:

An article on Wikibin – a graveyard for old Wikipedia entries deemed too worthless or factually shaky to exist – turned up. It was about The Circle Game. It listed the rules, the various monikers – and named a creator: Matt Nelson, of New Bremen, Ohio. According to the entry, he invented the game in the early-1980s.

I played that retarded game in college. Constant bruises.

It matters because the UCMJ spies to the coast guard. I see no situation where this doesn't violate article 134

Since the UCMJ applies to the USCG you believe this situation matters more than if the dude worked for a different organization?

You think the hand gesture brought discredit to the Coast Guard? I get it, but I haven't really seen many folks claiming that the service is full of white supremacists.

you dont think losing his job is appropriate? why.

Lets say he was fucking around playing the game and not racist. Do you think this was not extremely disrespectful to do on television while your CO is giving an interview? Do you thnk disrespecting your CO is totally cool in the military?

My experience in the military says that was not something that was a good idea.

He’s in the coast guard....I disobeyed my CO’s direct orders twice...never got fired or removed from duty..perhaps, times have changed sInce then...

BBFFCF74-_AFA5-4_F81-_B4_D1-_E5_C8_BFFB1_FC1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

He’s doing the secret “women power” version...#methree

Man, it really sucks that the immature little circle game I've played with my man-child friends since high school has been ruined by either white power fuckwits, and/or an over zealous media and outrage culture.

I'm still not convinced that this gesture has actually been adopted by racists. I still think this is just 4chan trolling seeping out and infecting the real world.

Fucking 4chan.
Well the circle game is lame and annoying and people should get fired for playing games at work. Robots would not be playing the circle game.

Since the UCMJ applies to the USCG you believe this situation matters more than if the dude worked for a different organization?

You think the hand gesture brought discredit to the Coast Guard? I get it, but I haven't really seen many folks claiming that the service is full of white supremacists.

It sure as fuck was prejudicial to good order and discipline. Would you say that was a disciplined thing to do?

He’s in the coast guard....I disobeyed my CO’s direct orders twice...never got fired or removed from duty..perhaps, times have changed sInce then...

You think that means that no one should be removed from duty at the COs discretion after they violate UCMJ?

It sure as fuck was prejudicial to good order and discipline. Would you say that was a disciplined thing to do?

I don't know this dude's history. Does he have a history of making racist comments to co-workers? Was he dared to troll folks? I don't know the situation.

Was it a stupid move considering the current whine-fest going on and overly sensitive mood of society? You bet . . .

Back