Citi becomes first big bank to press clients to restrict gun sales

Teppodama

A Dude, playing a Dude, disquised as another Dude
@Silver
Reaction score
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/22/citi-clients-restrict-gun-sales-881040

Citigroup Thursday announced a new policy aimed at pushing its clients to place restrictions on the sale of firearms, becoming the nation’s first large lender to take action on guns.

The move by Citigroup, the fourth-biggest U.S. bank by assets, comes two days before major nationwide rallies on gun control are scheduled to take place.

The bank will require retail clients to only sell guns if the customer has passed a background check, to restrict sales to people under 21, and to refuse to sell bump stocks or high-capacity magazines. Bump stocks enable a semiautomatic rifle to fire faster.

The policy “is not centered on an ideological mission to rid the world of firearms,” Ed Skyler, Citi’s head of global public affairs, said in a blog post. “That is not what we seek. There are millions of Americans who use firearms for recreational and other legitimate purposes, and we respect their constitutional right to do so.

“But we want to do our part as a company to prevent firearms from getting into the wrong hands,” said Skyler, who served under former Mayor Michael Bloomberg in New York City for eight years. Bloomberg is a leading gun-control advocate.

Citi says it will no longer do business with clients who decline to go along with the policy.

“We know our clients also care about these issues, and we have begun to engage with them in the hope that they will adopt these best practices over the coming months,” Skyler said. “If they opt not to, we will respect their decision and work with them to transition their business away from Citi.”

The bank will apply these requirements across the firm, he said, including to small businesses, commercial and institutional clients, and credit card partners, Skyler said.

The First National Bank of Omaha announced last month that it would end its relationship with the National Rifle Association. It had issued NRA-branded cards as part of its business.

*Note to self* purchase more magazines, a lot more. Also consider moving on that rifle purchase.

This is all moving fast. Where are all the people that should be calling for the enlistment age to be increased? This all feels like false outrage from the conpanies.

This is all moving fast. Where are all the people that should be calling for the enlistment age to be increased? This all feels like false outrage from the conpanies.
Maybe so, but it is part of the agenda. *nibble nibble nibble*

Finally. Men with hearts of gold stepping up to the plate and doing what needs to be done.

Maybe so, but it is part of the agenda. *nibble nibble nibble*

Well they should be calling for congress to add a new amendment to redefine gun laws. As it stands now I'm not sure they should be allowed to do this.

Well they should be calling for congress to add a new amendment to redefine gun laws. As it stands now I'm not sure they should be allowed to do this.
Maybe not, but you'll find plenty of people here who will not only argue their right to do so, but applaud it.

You have the privilege to be living in the twightlight of the gun. Well, unless you like movies and videogames. Too much money to be made there by glorifying their usage.

"The bank will require retail clients to only sell guns if the customer has passed a background check, to restrict sales to people under 21, and to refuse to sell bump stocks or high-capacity magazines. Bump stocks enable a semiautomatic rifle to fire faster."

Nothing radical.

I expect paintball will be somewhere on the list eventually. It's the natural progression of the slope. Pellet guns, paintball guns, toy guns...

Maybe not, but you'll find plenty of people here who will not only argue their right to do so, but applaud it.

You have the privilege to be living in the twightlight of the gun. Well, unless you like movies and videogames. Too much money to be made there by glorifying their usage.

I think most people are for companies doing what is best for their business. What is best for banks is to loan money. Not dictating what other companies are doing.

"The bank will require retail clients to only sell guns if the customer has passed a background check, to restrict sales to people under 21, and to refuse to sell bump stocks or high-capacity magazines. Bump stocks enable a semiautomatic rifle to fire faster."

Nothing radical.
And the nebulous "high capacity magazine". What is the current definition of a high capacity magazine? Anything over 10 rounds? 12? 15? 17? 19? 25? 30? 50? 100?

I think most people are for companies doing what is best for their business. What is best for banks is to loan money. Not dictating what other companies are doing.
Historically, banks have a habit of stepping out of their lane in the hopes to acquire influence to widen it. Citi Bank is not doing this for egalitarian reasons.

And the nebulous "high capacity magazine". What is the current definition of a high capacity magazine? Anything over 10 rounds? 12? 15? 17? 19? 25? 30? 50? 100?

Nothing radical.

Historically, banks have a habit of stepping out of their lane in the hopes to acquire influence to widen it. Citi Bank is not doing this for egalitarian reasons.

I hear you on that. If they said "we have a moral problem with gun sales, so we will no longer issue loans to companies that sale guns." Fine, I can get that.

Good news for the top 3 banks -- expect a bump in their client base

Nothing radical.
Once again, what is "radical"? Here's a side question to go with it...let's say you limit magazine size to 10rds. What if I carry 5 magazines on my person?

Once again, what is "radical"? Here's a side question to go with it...let's say you limit magazine size to 10rds. What if I carry 5 magazines on my person?

Yes I get you're trying to do whatever you can to make this less than a molehill into a mountain.

They laid out their policy, and its reasonable.

Yes I get you're trying to do whatever you can to make this less than a molehill into a mountain.

They laid out their policy, and its reasonable.
Nope. I just realize that this yet another front in this fight and the rules of battle aren't even well defined. I could care less about bump stockes. But I do care about the magazine argument.

I currently have a Sig Sauer P320 Compact Carry. It takes 17rds standard. 21 with an extended mag, one of which I own. That someone may want to limit my ability to purchase more of either is pertinent to my interest.

By not clearly defining what you mean by high capacity you not only leave no room for a counter argument but you leave it open to various individual interpretations based not on what may be practical but on how you "feel" about it.

You'll have to excuse me if I am less than enthusiastic about leaving that judgement to people that mostly hate firearms, but are often uneducated about them as well.

Back