Canelo vs. GGG

Who wins?

• Total voters
I tried telling you that when you predicted an early stoppage...

f5657ea6e8a5225a9c0c692817d5bf5c-micdrop07.gif
Well, I actually expected Chavez to try, which would have opened him up to those big counters.

...that being said I agree with Seano here for the most part. GGG has looked a bit faded in his last 2 fights, and Canelo is in his absolute prime right now. He's taken no abuse at all lately, and he has that young-fighter suddenness behind his punches. It's going to be a pick-em type of fight. I lean towards Golovkin though, because he is much more established in the middleweight division and his chin is 100% proven at that weight.

The problem with their age disparity is that I don't think we'd ever see them prime for prime, at least not at middleweight. Golovkin definitely didn't look the same against Jacobs, but it begs the question had Golovkin lost a step, or did Jacobs do something to make him look worse than he normally did? Probably both column-a and column-b.

The problem with their age disparity is that I don't think we'd ever see them prime for prime, at least not at middleweight. Golovkin definitely didn't look the same against Jacobs, but it begs the question had Golovkin lost a step, or did Jacobs do something to make him look worse than he normally did? Probably both column-a and column-b.
I think you have to give it to Jacobs. It's why quality of opposition is so important in rating a fighter. GGG didn't suddenly get old over night, he faced much better opponents, and a bigger one in Jacobs. GGG's close fight with Jacobs is more impressive than cruising to a victory over washed up JCC Jr. who never had a chance. The only question I have is if perhaps that was Canelo's plan all along not to look for a KO.

Canelo has looked sharper than GGG recently, but he's also fought Amir Khan, Liam Smith, and JCC Jr. How would GGG have looked against that lineup? How would Canelo have looked against Jacobs?

Well, I actually expected Chavez to try, which would have opened him up to those big counters.

Na, Chavez only lets his guard down for hookers with cell phone cameras. But even if he did, I don't think Canelo has the kind of power he needs to knock out guys like Chavez and GGG unless he lands something miraculous.

I think you have to give it to Jacobs. It's why quality of opposition is so important in rating a fighter. GGG didn't suddenly get old over night, he faced much better opponents, and a bigger one in Jacobs. GGG's close fight with Jacobs is more impressive than cruising to a victory over washed up JCC Jr. who never had a chance. The only question I have is if perhaps that was Canelo's plan all along not to look for a KO.

Agreed about the Jacobs win being more meaningful than Chavez. But I think Canelo was trying; it's just hard to KO a guy who's only goal is lasting all 12.

Agreed about the Jacobs win being more meaningful than Chavez. But I think Canelo was trying; it's just hard to KO a guy who's only goal is lasting all 12.
Especially when he's so much bigger than Canelo.

Especially when he's so much bigger than Canelo.

Yeah, I don't by the "he was drained" talk either. He looked fine at the weigh in. Granted, I don't think coming down in weight ever helps a fighter once they've moved up, but he didn't look dehydrated or unhealthy. He just sucks.

Canelo in a hard fought decision.

How are you supposed to stop a fighter who refuses to engage in any exchanges with You? That's my question to you

Sorry I don't buy this at all. JCC wasn't punching, but he wasn't running either. He was there to be hit and Canelo hit him cleanly all night long. But Canelo decided to sit back and counter although he could have gone more on the offensive in an attempt to overwhelm Chavez. Either he physically couldn't put him away or he didn't have the killer instinct to, neither scenario bodes well against GGG. GGG would have stopped that version of JCC.

Yeah, I don't by the "he was drained" talk either. He looked fine at the weigh in. Granted, I don't think coming down in weight ever helps a fighter once they've moved up, but he didn't look dehydrated or unhealthy. He just sucks.

I don't know what weigh in you watched, but JCC looked like he was going through chemo. He looked terrible.

Khan, Smith, and JCC. Those are not the type of fights to get you ready for GGG. Ironically GGG has stepped up in competition while Canelo has gone the other direction.

Which 35 year old fighters were at their peak?

It's just a fact that for most 35 year olds are on the down slope of a career. So it's quite likely for GGG too. Even Kell Brook said that.

After Lemieux GGG fought Wade who sucked and then look bad vs Brook and Jacobs. It's not suddenly. It's a year and half.

Last edited:
Sure it does. Canelo couldn't put away a fighter that is one tenth as talented as GGG and not nearly as durable. What evidence do you have that he can KO GGG?
In his 55 pro fights the only man to finish JCCr was a LHW in Fonfara, and if he didnt quit on the stool at the 9th, he could have went the distance.
That is 2 weight classes higher than the one GGG has competed in all his career.

Even Sergio Martinez couldnt finish him, so those are empty words.

Sorry I don't buy this at all. JCC wasn't punching, but he wasn't running either. He was there to be hit and Canelo hit him cleanly all night long. But Canelo decided to sit back and counter although he could have gone more on the offensive in an attempt to overwhelm Chavez. Either he physically couldn't put him away or he didn't have the killer instinct to, neither scenario bodes well against GGG. GGG would have stopped that version of JCC.
Exactly. Canelo is a counter puncher, GGG is a press forward fighter. Everyone Canelo has stopped is a front runner e.g Khan, Kirkland. I'm not saying canelo knocks GGG out but it is possible due to their styles. I bet if chavez pressed forward like he usually does he Would've been stopped. Also chavez is a heavier bigger fighter known for his chi n

In his 55 pro fights the only man to finish JCCr was a LHW in Fonfara, and if he didnt quit on the stool at the 9th, he could have went the distance.
That is 2 weight classes higher than the one GGG has competed in all his career.

What evidence do you have that Canelo can put away GGG?

Lets remember how this started, the dude claimed Canelo would KO GGG. There is zero evidence for that happening. However durable JCC is, GGG is more durable, and Canelo couldn't put JCC away.

Which 35 year old fighters were at their peak?

It's just a fact that for most 35 year olds are on the down slope of a career. So it's quite likely for GGG too. Even Kell Brook said that.

After Lemieux GGG fought Wade who sucked and then look bad vs Brook and Jacobs. It's not suddenly. It's a year and half.
I'm not saying he's in his prime at 35. It's been a year since he fought Wade and Canelo fought Khan. He's fought a couple of studs while Canelo has faced a couple of scrubs. The difference in quality of opposition has more to do with him struggling than him being a year older.

Back