Canelo vs. GGG

Who wins?

• Total voters
I'm not saying he's in his prime at 35. It's been a year since he fought Wade and Canelo fought Khan. He's fought a couple of studs while Canelo has faced a couple of scrubs. The difference in quality of opposition has more to do with him struggling than him being a year older.

Fair enough.

The biggest thing I've seen is that his handspeed seems to have slowed - he lacks the same snap. I don't think that's all because he's been facing better opposition, but surely that's part of the reason he's looked more vulnerable in general.

Sure it does. Canelo couldn't put away a fighter that is one tenth as talented as GGG and not nearly as durable. What evidence do you have that he can KO GGG?
Just because A beats B and B beats C doesn't automatically mean A beats C.

In this case A beat B and B and C have never even squared off.

Last edited:
If we are going off the last 2 fights, then I think Canleo looks to be hitting stride and on his way to being in his prime years. I think GGG might be starting to slow a little. That being said, I really think anything can happen in this fight.

On this whole Canelo power debate, I dont think Canelo is putting Golovkin down with a shot upstairs. However, I do think if hes getting to the body consistently we could see Golovkin in trouble. It could very well lead to a stoppage.

If anyones getting a finish though its safe to assume its Golovkin.

Last edited:
On this whole Canelo power debate, I dont think Canelo is putting Golovkin down with a shot upstairs. However, I do think if hes getting to the body consistently we could see Golovkin in trouble. It could very well lead to a stoppage.

If anyones getting a finish though its safe to assume its Golovkin.
has canelo ever stopped anyone with body shots, though? not disputing his power at all, i think the brutal body shots won him the lara fight (among others), but i don't recall him actually putting anyone away with it.

considering we've never seen GGG in any serious trouble, i just think it's peculiar you're predicting such a specific outcome.

has canelo ever stopped anyone with body shots, though? not disputing his power at all, i think the brutal body shots won him the lara fight (among others), but i don't recall him actually putting anyone away with it.

considering we've never seen GGG in any serious trouble, i just think it's peculiar you're predicting such a specific outcome.
Liam Smith. But Ive watched him set up masterpieces with his body shots many times. We have seen Golovkin show effects of body work. Have you seen anyone consistently go after him there? Canelo does.

And note I said "we could", and Im predicting a Canelo decision.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
^ I've never understood how fighters like Canelo can get so much power behind a left hook with their elbow almost completely extended, hit somebody's midsection, and not hyper extend their elbow.

^ I've never understood how fighters like Canelo can get so much power behind a left hook with their elbow almost completely extended, hit somebody's midsection, and not hyper extend their elbow.
Its pretty crazy. Always wonder how beat up their arms feel the days afterwards.

Liam Smith. But Ive watched him set up masterpieces with his body shots many times. We have seen Golovkin show effects of body work. Have you seen anyone consistently go after him there? Canelo does.

giphy.gif
Another angle

tumblr_odorlouS7S1upwz95o1_400.gif

There's one of a diff KD where he goes body>head>body that's absolutely sick but I can't find it right now

Another angle

tumblr_odorlouS7S1upwz95o1_400.gif

There's one of a diff KD where he goes body>head>body that's absolutely sick but I can't find it right now
I was trying to find that one too. It was awesome.

Granted, Smith is no Golovkin, but Canelo's body attacks are vicious.

For all the talk about Canelo's body attacks, GGG is brutal there himself (see the Macklin or Lemiuex fights). Given that Canelo has good head movement but not good legs, I could see GGG doing some work there.

giphy.gif

true, i forgot about that.

i thought jacobs landed some really nice shots downstairs on GGG, but you're right, he didn't really mount a consistent offense there.

honestly, i think most people didn't attack GGG to the body because they didn't want to open themselves up to anything with him. if a monstrous power puncher like him times your body shot, you're done for. maybe canelo goes for it, though. it might just work, his body shots are a thing of beauty... but he might also get countered the first time he tries it and never throws another one.

For all the talk about Canelo's body attacks, GGG is brutal there himself (see the Macklin or Lemiuex fights). Given that Canelo has good head movement but not good legs, I could see GGG doing some work there.
I actually agree with you and it was one of the reasons I was favoring him over Jacobs prefight. I thought he would be able to slow Danny down with it as the fight wore on especially when Danny was circling/pivoting/moving laterally to get off the ropes..seemingly abandoned it there, though.

He's very good with his body work but not nearly as vigilant as Canelo with it imo. A ton of Canelos finishes came from body work setups or body shots themselves. He actively seeks to attack the body in every single fight whereas GGG has more of a take it if it's there approach.

Would like to see GGG take it, preferably by KO, but I'll bet it ends via decision.

I actually agree with you and it was one of the reasons I was favoring him over Jacobs prefight. I thought he would be able to slow Danny down with it as the fight wore on especially when Danny was circling/pivoting/moving laterally to get off the ropes..seemingly abandoned it there, though.

He's very good with his body work but not nearly as vigilant as Canelo with it imo. A ton of Canelos finishes came from body work setups or body shots themselves. He actively seeks to attack the body in every single fight whereas GGG has more of a take it if it's there approach.

I got the impression that GGG was afraid of Jacobs' right hand and so kept that looping left hook in the holster mostly (both to the body and head).

Last edited:
Fair enough.

The biggest thing I've seen is that his handspeed seems to have slowed - he lacks the same snap. I don't think that's all because he's been facing better opposition, but surely that's part of the reason he's looked more vulnerable in general.

Someone said something about JCC not wanting to be hit and thus, being hard to put away. The same was the case with that fellow Luis Ortiz went the distance with. Similarly, Jacobs did not want to stay in one place too long, so he got on his bike for virtually the whole fight. If we are wondering about the snap in GGG's shots look at two things: firstly, that his jab was sharp and every time he threw it he snapped back Jacobs head, secondly, when he doubled up on the right in round four, that second punch had more than enough snap to put Jacobs down. When he has his opponent lined up, you see the snap. The more erratic the target, the less lethal your shots will be.

In summation, it's hard to look like your punches have snap when your target is pulling away from you. It's easier to see the snap when they are static or colliding with your punches. Look at Brook's face when that left hook landed within the first half of the first round when Brook was along the ropes. I'm not worried about GGG having the snap in his shots. If I were to worry about a decline anywhere for GGG, it would be his legs more than anything else - and even then, I don't see a problem with them just yet. Again, Brook was the smaller guy that punched first when he was winning the exchanges, and Jacobs was athletically just a beast. The last thing to go on GGG will be his punch.

Speaking of getting off first: this will be the most central consideration for this fight. Who gets off first. Alvarez is fast, but GGG will control when the engagements happen due to his better feet and jab.

Very interesting fight.

giphy.gif

Smith is the smaller guy that isn't even looking at what Alvarez is doing. It's the punch you don't see coming that hurts the most. Golovkin is often aware and has great timing (if not great speed, which might not be bad given that Alvarez has average footwork). Also, using your gif above, it should be realized that Alvarez drops his right glove, thereby opening him up to left hooks, and whenever you throw a body punch you lower your punching arm and leave yourself open. What do you think GGG does? Let him stand there and take those or counter with a left hook to the head or body simultaneously.

So, yes, Canelo has a body attack but....sauce for the goose, my friend.

I slightly lean toward GGG, but this fight could go either way. It's better for the division and the unification process if GGG wins, but it's better for Alvarez's star status if he can avoid that loss. Still, Alvarez can recover from a loss much easier than GGG at this point in their respective careers, and given their respective star power.This fight has just got that anticipation building for it each day.

Smith is the smaller guy that isn't even looking at what Alvarez is doing. It's the punch you don't see coming that hurts the most. Golovkin is often aware and has great timing (if not great speed, which might not be bad given that Alvarez has average footwork). Also, using your gif above, it should be realized that Alvarez drops his right glove, thereby opening him up to left hooks, and whenever you throw a body punch you lower your punching arm and leave yourself open. What do you think GGG does? Let him stand there and take those or counter with a left hook to the head or body simultaneously.

So, yes, Canelo has a body attack but....sauce for the goose, my friend.

I slightly lean toward GGG, but this fight could go either way. It's better for the division and the unification process if GGG wins, but it's better for Alvarez's star status if he can avoid that loss. Still, Alvarez can recover from a loss much easier than GGG at this point in their respective careers, and given their respective star power.This fight has just got that anticipation building for it each day.
You don't feel the current GGG leaves himself open to counters because he trusts in his power too much ? That's giving Canelo a chance . Especially how slow GGG has become .

When he gets hit he gets mad and leaves himself open ( not to set up traps) but to just attack without worrying about defense.

You can see in the Jacobs fight when he shelled up he doesn't mix his offense and defense as fluid or in the Brooks fight

Granted GGG should be the favorite due to his tremendous power but Canelo is a live dog those body shots will find its mark

what I hate and I hope team Canelo work with him is his forced showboating, cardio , and going to the ropes thinking his Mayweather..

GGG looked a bit worse in his last 2 fight because Brook and Danny actually have quick feet, and can move well. Canelo is a slow footed, plodder, and will get an good target, just like the good boy he is.

GGG has longer arms, is naturally bigger, and has more natural power. They are going to have a fire fight, and GGG will come out on top

Back