Canelo vs. GGG

Who wins?

• Total voters
That slow jab of his will get countered brother

Also @cuban23 get your butt in here and vote !! @Seano too or are you waiting after the fight =)

This is how GGG stalks now a days

walk.gif

Vs Canelo's footwork

205-6-Stuck-In-a-Web-Gif.gif

I got the impression that GGG was afraid of Jacobs' right hand and so kept that looping left hook in the holster mostly (both to the body and head).
I think it was Jacobs was going southpaw (esp later in the fight) that really threw him off. At first, I was really weary about him doing it (he actually got caught parallel during the KD because of it) but it ended up being a smart move considering how close the fight was.

What evidence do you have that Canelo can put away GGG?
Who are u talking to... Someone pointed out that canelo not being able to put away Chaves means something.. nobody ever did that, i doubt anybody below LHW can.
Edit, i dont care what u guys were arguing about either.

You don't feel the current GGG leaves himself open to counters because he trusts in his power too much ? That's giving Canelo a chance . Especially how slow GGG has become .

When he gets hit he gets mad and leaves himself open ( not to set up traps) but to just attack without worrying about defense.

You can see in the Jacobs fight when he shelled up he doesn't mix his offense and defense as fluid or in the Brooks fight

Granted GGG should be the favorite due to his tremendous power but Canelo is a live dog those body shots will find its mark

what I hate and I hope team Canelo work with him is his forced showboating, cardio , and going to the ropes thinking his Mayweather..

Yup. Canelo is a faster puncher, but he isn't hard to find. You just mentioned two guys that were harder for GGG to find than Alvarez will be. You also mentioned two guys that had very fast hands and Golovkin was able to beat both of them. Jacobs has tested power at MW too. Canelo body punches more than those two, but is his tendency to body punch enough? It could be, if he can get off. If Golovkin's jab is working, Alvarez won't find his rhythm. Alvarez needs his rhythm for his defense to work.

If Brook showed us anything, it's that you don't need power to keep Golovkin at bay. You just need to shut down his rhythm by punching with conviction first. Even Jacobs was getting off first now and then and he's a big hitter. Didn't change much. So I wonder: what can Canelo do to slow down GGG aside from banking a lot on upper body movement and body punching (which, granted, is a lot already)?

Yup. Canelo is a faster puncher, but he isn't hard to find. You just mentioned two guys that were harder for GGG to find than Alvarez will be. You also mentioned two guys that had very fast hands and Golovkin was able to beat both of them. Jacobs has tested power at MW too. Canelo body punches more than those two, but is his tendency to body punch enough? It could be, if he can get off. If Golovkin's jab is working, Alvarez won't find his rhythm. Alvarez needs his rhythm for his defense to work.

If Brook showed us anything, it's that you don't need power to keep Golovkin at bay. You just need to shut down his rhythm by punching with conviction first. Even Jacobs was getting off first now and then and he's a big hitter. Didn't change much. So I wonder: what can Canelo do to slow down GGG aside from banking a lot on upper body movement and body punching (which, granted, is a lot already)?
Rosado found ggg no problem Canelo will too , defense will help Canelo set up the shots ,
But he will be under fire no doubt

You don't feel the current GGG leaves himself open to counters because he trusts in his power too much ? That's giving Canelo a chance . Especially how slow GGG has become .

When he gets hit he gets mad and leaves himself open ( not to set up traps) but to just attack without worrying about defense.

You can see in the Jacobs fight when he shelled up he doesn't mix his offense and defense as fluid or in the Brooks fight

Granted GGG should be the favorite due to his tremendous power but Canelo is a live dog those body shots will find its mark

what I hate and I hope team Canelo work with him is his forced showboating, cardio , and going to the ropes thinking his Mayweather..

I mean, I see him make mistakes like anybody. The more I rewatch the Jacobs fight the more encouraged I get. Jacobs is the #2 MW and did everything he could, but he just couldn't do enough. Golovkin shelled up and that really neutralized the aggression from Jacobs - a big guy with a longer reach than Alvarez. Jacobs was a fast, athletic problem so Golovkin had to be more selective since Jacobs can hit. GGG also moved back, his in and out was not too bad, and may even be enough when fight Alvarez who needs his opponent to stand still. If GGG pops in with the jab and steps back, like he has shown an ability to do, Alvarez will be swinging at air, and this is largely because Alvarez doesn't punch as well moving forward. He leans on his front foot when he is chasing.

The ropes is going to be an interesting place for this fight to take place. Golovkin can use his distance and jab to pin him there and control the ring to steal rounds, but if GGG steps in and isn't careful, Canelo can really start to rip those shots to the body.

Man, it's gonna be great, but a bigger guy with better feet is always gonna be a problem for a smaller guy. From there it comes down to cleaner punching, and the judges seem to give Alvarez the benefit of the doubt for a lot of close rounds in his history when he throws combos. Even if they aren't clean, so I can see that affecting the judges, especially if they fight in Texas.

Canelo has looked sharper than GGG recently, but he's also fought Amir Khan, Liam Smith, and JCC Jr. How would GGG have looked against that lineup? How would Canelo have looked against Jacobs?

That is a great point.

GGG would have crushed Canelo's last three opponents easily. All three by knockout.

Canelo goes the distance with Brook and wins. Loses to Jacobs or if he's lucky gets a semi-bogus decision.

So saying one guy is on a big upswing while the other is going downhill is pretty inaccurate. The fight is still a pick em' but GGG should be the favorite.

Canelo by somewhat close decision. For some reason I dont think we will see knockdowns in this one

I'm on the fence. A year ago, I was favoring Golovkin to win relatively easily. His last few fights have sort of led me to believe that he's fading little just as Canelo is coming into his prime.

It really is a pick em IMO. I'll probably slightly favor Canelo by fight time.

Same here... 2 fights ago I would have said GGG. But after Brook and Jacobs im siding towards Canelo.

That's right GGG is in his prime

GGG looked a bit worse in his last 2 fight because Brook and Danny actually have quick feet, and can move well. Canelo is a slow footed, plodder, and will get an good target, just like the good boy he is.

GGG has longer arms, is naturally bigger, and has more natural power. They are going to have a fire fight, and GGG will come out on top
"Slow footed plodder" has better defense than both of them.

Sorry I don't buy this at all. JCC wasn't punching, but he wasn't running either. He was there to be hit and Canelo hit him cleanly all night long. But Canelo decided to sit back and counter although he could have gone more on the offensive in an attempt to overwhelm Chavez. Either he physically couldn't put him away or he didn't have the killer instinct to, neither scenario bodes well against GGG. GGG would have stopped that version of JCC.
I really think Canelo came out to go all in (since all of the pre-fight trashtalk), then later, got to a point in the fight, probably 6th or 7th, where he realized this was a sparring session and decided to just get some work in and not get caught with anything stupid. Remember guys, he already knew the Golovkin fight was signed. Just win and be ready for war next fight. If he wanted to stop it he could've walked Jr down and kept banging him until the ref stopped it. Instead he kept it a boxing match and started playing with new counters and combos.

has canelo ever stopped anyone with body shots, though? not disputing his power at all, i think the brutal body shots won him the lara fight (among others), but i don't recall him actually putting anyone away with it.

considering we've never seen GGG in any serious trouble, i just think it's peculiar you're predicting such a specific outcome.

It's gonna be a tactical fight. The fighter who will have to move forward will risk quite a lot. I favor GGG for his reach, heavy jabbing and footwork, but this one should be close.

Back