International Canada arrested Huawei's CFO per an American warrant

Gloves are off. From a legal perspective this is an abomination. Imagine going to Canada for a holiday and being arrested for breaking the law of some strange third party nation? Canada is not a sovereign nation.

Gloves are off. From a legal perspective this is an abomination. Imagine going to Canada for a holiday and being arrested for breaking the law of some strange third party nation? Canada is not a sovereign nation.

It's gonna ruin our rep. We are supposed to be the chill younger brother of the US that everyone likes even though our sibling is a big bully.

www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/5E05D8BE-F8F9-11E8-82BD-98A7A5F56246

“If I was an American tech executive, I wouldn’t travel to China this week.”

That’s what James Lewis, a former Commerce Department official and current director of technology policy at the think tank Center for Strategic and International Studies, told Axios on Wednesday after Canada arrested a top executive for China’s Huawai Technologies Co. on behalf of the U.S. government.

Lewis told Axios that “Huawei is one of the Chinese government’s pet companies,” and warned “They will retaliate and China will take hostages.”

Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou — the daughter of the telecom giant’s founder — was arrested in Vancouver and was being prepared for extradition to the U.S. to face charges of violating sanctions against Iran.

China immediately protested the arrest, and demanded Canada and the U.S. “rectify wrongdoings” and release her from custody, Bloomberg News reported.

The incident may raise tensions between the U.S. and China, just days after it appeared progress had been made to ease the ongoing trade war. U.S. stock futures and Asian stock markets fell after reports of the arrest.

The U.S. government has long worried about cybersecurity risks from Huawei equipment, and has pressed allies to stop using the company’s products. The U.S. has restricted Huawei’s business in the U.S., and earlier this year, Australia barred Huawei from its 5G mobile network, citing a security risk. In October, a Silicon Valley semiconductor startup accused Huawei of conspiring to steal its technology.

Huawei is the world’s biggest maker of telecom equipment, and the No. 2 smartphone maker in the world, surpassing Apple Inc. during the second quarter of 2018.

I was briefly detained on a previous business trip to china and have always been apprehensive about the prospect when I’ve been there. Better believe I’m not planning any trips in the foreseeable future.

Not sure the legal standing on this.

If she isn't a us citizen or the crime took place in the US.

If there is an international arrest warrant out for an individual who is on Canadian soil then Canada is obliged to arrest that person.

Not sure the legal standing on this.

If she isn't a us citizen or the crime took place in the US.
I don't know if she had anything to do with the sanctions busting but her company transferred American technology to Iran so that is how the US claims the right to prosecute her.

I don't know if she had anything to do with the sanctions busting but her company transferred American technology to Iran so that is how the US claims the right to prosecute her.

I wonder if she even knew what her firm did was illegal .... b/c well you know ... Chinese steal pretty much everything.

This is a fucking human rights violation!

<{MingNope}>

It's gonna ruin our rep. We are supposed to be the chill younger brother of the US that everyone likes even though our sibling is a big bully.

So proud of you. <3

Now ban Huawei from all 5G development in Canada.

Canada should not be doing Murica's dirty work. This is getting beyond a trade dispute, into geopolitical confrontation. If anything, we should stay on the sidelines in this new Cold War. This is going to put Canadian citizens in major jeopardy abroad.

I don’t know enough about this specific issue to state whether I think this gal’s arrest was correct however I do have a fair bit of experience dealing with the Chinese and there are some real cultural differences that make me think that actions like this one are going to be a necessary part of our countries coming to a mutual understanding.

Here in the West we tend to have this notion that if two parties sit down and work out the terms of an arrangement, the parties are then obliged by the arrangement to live up to what was agreed upon. Failing to do so can lead to legal jeopardy but, morover, a serious loss of reputation. Even when the figures in the west fail in this regard, the notion that you keep your promises remains an important value.

In China this doesn’t seem to be the case - neither on a personal or an organizational level. In China, an agreement seems to be taken as something more like a commitment to work toward the agreed upon terms right up to the point that doing so becomes disadvantageous. Thereafter, accountability to the agreement is based entirely on how the aggressively either party is willing to enforce the agreement. Should one party fail to enforce that is understood to be evidence that the agreement’s terms have changed.

We’re in a weird time where our governments have allowed terrible behavior to go on for so long that China now earnestly believes they’re within their right to do things like illegally transfer US tech. It does have to be demonstrated that such things won’t be tolerated.

if china takes money out of vancouver... can i buy a condo in richmond on the cheap?

related, but does anyone know what Apple pays China to have it's manufacturing there?

I'm just wondering why they would have their own essentially state sponsored provider, and then allow another MNC to exploit their labor and I assume keep the profits outta china

related, but does anyone know what Apple pays China to have it's manufacturing there?

I'm just wondering why they would have their own essentially state sponsored provider, and then allow another MNC to exploit their labor and I assume keep the profits outta china

In the case of Apple I would guess industrial espionage is the reason. Across other industries their aim is to gain from the unique economic multiplier maufacturing brings. This is why they subsidize their export prices beneath the cost of raw materials across almost every industry. They lose the subsidy dollars (which they wouldn’t have had anyway) but they gain the employment, industry and multiplier and that is cumulatively worth more.

Canada should not be doing Murica's dirty work. This is getting beyond a trade dispute, into geopolitical confrontation. If anything, we should stay on the sidelines in this new Cold War. This is going to put Canadian citizens in major jeopardy abroad.
Since the US has an arrest warrant for her, Canada has to comply. Just as if there was a Canadian arrest warrant for in individual on US soil, the US would take that person into custody for extradition to Canada.

China is more assembler than manufacturer for Apple. The major components of the Iphones are made elsewhere.

I don’t know enough about this specific issue to state whether I think this gal’s arrest was correct however I do have a fair bit of experience dealing with the Chinese and there are some real cultural differences that make me think that actions like this one are going to be a necessary part of our countries coming to a mutual understanding.

Here in the West we tend to have this notion that if two parties sit down and work out the terms of an arrangement, the parties are then obliged by the arrangement to live up to what was agreed upon. Failing to do so can lead to legal jeopardy but, morover, a serious loss of reputation. Even when the figures in the west fail in this regard, the notion that you keep your promises remains an important value.

In China this doesn’t seem to be the case - neither on a personal or an organizational level. In China, an agreement seems to be taken as something more like a commitment to work toward the agreed upon terms right up to the point that doing so becomes disadvantageous. Thereafter, accountability to the agreement is based entirely on how the aggressively either party is willing to enforce the agreement. Should one party fail to enforce that is understood to be evidence that the agreement’s terms have changed.

We’re in a weird time where our governments have allowed terrible behavior to go on for so long that China now earnestly believes they’re within their right to do things like illegally transfer US tech. It does have to be demonstrated that such things won’t be tolerated.
China does not respect patents, intellectual property. They shamelessly steal everyone's hard work and ingenuity. There really isn't another nation like them, ripping off everyone. One could argue their large population is the reason there is such a prevalence of intellectual property theft but India is nearly as populous as China, has a manufacturing base and a history of mercantilism like China, yet they are not ripping off / blatantly copying others's designs.

So how does this play out behind closed doors?

Does China blame Israel for this, as the US carries Israel's water on Iran?

China does not respect patents, intellectual property. They shamelessly steal everyone's hard work and ingenuity. There really isn't another nation like them, ripping off everyone. One could argue their large population is the reason there is such a prevalence of intellectual property theft but India is nearly as populous as China, has a manufacturing base and a history of mercantilism like China, yet they are not ripping off / blatantly copying others's designs.

And still a lot of people online suck China's dick like they are the Mesiah of geopolitics its also usually those "Murica bad imperial" morrons such fucking idiots

So who will Chinese vivisect in retaliation for this now? When is Justin Bieber touring China again?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loverich
Back