International Canada arrested Huawei's CFO per an American warrant

Many Mainland jimmies have been duly rustled.

A friend of mine who is very well educated but Nationalistic sent a long, ranting diatribe about American imperialism via Wechat. I ignored it, "that's cool," and then we chatted about small, fuzzy brown poodles which are all the rage in south Cihna.

And still a lot of people online suck China's dick like they are the Mesiah of geopolitics its also usually those "Murica bad imperial" morrons such fucking idiots

Surely, surely, but if you wave dollar bills in front of people's faces, how quickly their lips loosen to sing praises, and belts fall around knees in deference to a Mao or a Trump or whoever has power.

Money is just the easiest reason to prostitute our beliefs, and so we do, and so we do.

Is part of China's new dealings with our God Emperor Donald J Trump include sanctioning Iran? If so then aint it up to China to prosecute its own for violating that?

if china takes money out of vancouver... can i buy a condo in richmond on the cheap?

Only if they really want to dump it quickly, but how does any joe schmo even get in on those deals. I sure they have people in mind they rather just hand the property over to.

Love my Huawei, it's cheap and awesome and I've already made peace with the Chinese spying on me. I'd recommend it.

Sony my friend, Sony forever.

It will give you much more than Hauwei, with a longer battery life and more reliable system.

And still a lot of people online suck China's dick like they are the messiah of geopolitics. It's also usually those "Murica bad imperial" morons, such fucking idiots.

txrecw.gif

This is getting beyond a trade dispute, into geopolitical confrontation.

giphy.gif

That's my bad, thanks for the correction

You cop that info I threw your way from the short convo in another thread? It's essentially the core (heh) issue of the entire drama if you had to boil it down to a single item. We don't care a fucking whit about Apple trademarks or simplistic iPhone assembly in China.

Semi1.png

Semi2.png

Semi3.png

Semi4.png

Semi5.png

image.png

image.png

The U.S. government has long worried about cybersecurity risks from Huawei equipment, and has pressed allies to stop using the company’s products. The U.S. has restricted Huawei’s business in the U.S., and earlier this year, Australia barred Huawei from its 5G mobile network, citing a security risk. In October, a Silicon Valley semiconductor startup accused Huawei of conspiring to steal its technology.

lol

Foreigners are subject to US laws and sanctions?

The biggest reason even more US-headquartered SC firms manufacturing isn't in the United States is because a lot of them are fabless (Qualcomm, AMD, NVIDIA, Marvell) and the biggest pure play foundries are either based or located in Taiwan and Singapore. IDM's who both engineer and manufacture their own shit such as Intel and Texas Instruments keep the overwhelming majority of their capacity stateside.

That's another reason why you should care about corporate espionage if you're an American citizen, alright? The shit wasn't ever "offshored for the cheap labor", and unskilled workers can't do the work anyway. Not just Intel, TXN also has half a dozen fabs operating in the US, @ElKarlo. Mostly in Texas, duh.

Since the US has an arrest warrant for her, Canada has to comply. Just as if there was a Canadian arrest warrant for in individual on US soil, the US would take that person into custody for extradition to Canada.
This is related to Iran sanctions, which is unilaterally imposed by US. Arrest s liken this would never have been aurhorized in a friendlier diplomatic climate. This is political at its core, and has nothing to do with Canada. Whoever authorized the arrest warrant in Canada to be served needs to have his head slapped for dragging the country into this shit.

This is related to Iran sanctions, which is unilaterally imposed by US. Arrest s liken this would never have been aurhorized in a friendlier diplomatic climate. This is political at its core, and has nothing to do with Canada. Whoever authorized the arrest warrant in Canada to be served needs to have his head slapped for dragging the country into this shit.

She's going to be there for a while.

She's going to be there for a while.
We'll see. This is huge shit. Apparently she's like Bill Gates or Tim Cook of China. I would avoid China if I was a Canadian of importance at this point. They're going to be looking for blood.

We'll see. This is huge shit. Apparently she's like Bill Gates or Tim Cook of China. I would avoid China if I was a Canadian of importance at this point. They're going to be looking for blood.

Her dad was also a military technologist officer in the People's Liberation Army before he founded Huawei and obviously the longer she's in Canadian custody, the more calamitous it gets politically. I'm not sure if Canada knows what the fuck they've involved themselves in here.

Her dad was also a military technologist officer in the People's Liberation Army before he founded Huawei and obviously the longer she's in Canadian custody, the more calamitous it gets politically. I'm not sure if Canada knows what the fuck they've involved themselves in here.
That's why whoever arranged the arrest is a politically tone deaf moron.

Canada has arrested the Chief Financial Officer of Huawei, the 2nd largest telecommunications company in the world, and close to the Chinese government. The CFO is the daughter of the founder

The arrest stems from a warrant issues by the US, because Huawei violated US sanctions against Iran by shipping equipment to Iran that was US sourced.

The Chinese government is peeved off.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/05/meng-wanzhou-huawei-cfo-arrested-vancouver
It's not that I doubt what my government is telling me is true, but what...the...fuck????!!!

We still haven't presented any public evidence to substantiate our allegations against Huawei. Most of the corroborating evidence comes from hard-hitting investigative reporting on tech similar to the piece Bloomberg did earlier this year. How do we just arrest a CFO from one of the biggest public companies in the world without telling anyone why?

This isn't American. This isn't how we do business. We are still better than the Chinese when it comes to this shit, and the includes during the Bush/Obama/Trump administrations. We don't just arbitrarily disappear the President of Interpol or a gene-editing scientist (who thought it better to beg forgiveness than ask permission) without giving a single reason; even if the reason is an obvious state lie.

China has every right to be pissed off. What's next? What happens when American businessmen start missing their return flights home? This is terrifying. People shouldn't be afraid to do business. This isn't how you go about these things.

Last edited:
If there is an international arrest warrant out for an individual who is on Canadian soil then Canada is obliged to arrest that person.

What do you think international means in the context? Breaking national rules of a cowboy nation? Probably not.

The biggest reason even more US-headquartered SC firms manufacturing isn't in the United States is because a lot of them are fabless (Qualcomm, AMD, NVIDIA, Marvell) and the biggest pure play foundries are either based or located in Taiwan and Singapore. IDM's who both engineer and manufacture their own shit such as Intel and Texas Instruments keep the overwhelming majority of their capacity stateside.

That's another reason why you should care about corporate espionage if you're an American citizen, alright? The shit wasn't ever "offshored for the cheap labor", and unskilled workers can't do the work anyway. Not just Intel, TXN also has half a dozen fabs operating in the US, @ElKarlo. Mostly in Texas, duh.

Word man, corp espionage is a massive threat. Besides that and IP, not much holding other places from copying and basically stealing all our research

It's not that I doubt what my government is telling me is true, but what...the...fuck????!!!

We still haven't presented any public evidence to substantiate our allegations against Huawei. Most of the corroborating evidence comes from hard-hitting investigative reporting on tech similar to the piece Bloomberg did earlier this year. How do we just arrest a CFO from one of the biggest public companies in the world without telling anyone why?

This isn't American. This isn't how we do business. We are still better than the Chinese when it comes to this shit, and the includes during the Bush/Obama/Trump administrations. We don't just arbitrarily disappear the President of Interpol or a gene-editing scientist who thought it better to beg forgiveness than ask permission without giving a single reason; even if the reason is an obvious state lie.

China has every right to be pissed off. What's next? What happens when American businessmen start missing their return flights home? This is terrifying. People shouldn't be afraid to do business. This isn't how you go about these things.

Word man, corp espionage is a massive threat. Besides that and IP, not much holding other places from copying and basically stealing all our research

We're going ballistic, been saying and explaining for months. Bloomberg has always known the deal but it's amusing seeing all these different outlets now talking about this "new" wrinkle to the 'trade war'. It isn't new at all.

Huawei Reveals Real Trade War With China

If you only scan the headlines, you could be forgiven for thinking that the U.S.-China trade war is mainly about tariffs. After all, the president and trade-warrior-in-chief has called himself “Tariff Man.” And the tentative trade deal between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping was mainly about tariffs, especially on items like automobiles.

But the startling arrest in Canada of a Chinese telecom company executive should wake people up to the fact that there’s a second U.S.-China trade war going on — a much more stealthy conflict, fought with weapons much subtler and more devastating than tariffs. And the prize in that other struggle is domination of the information-technology industry...

...Export restrictions, and threats of restrictions, are thus probably not just about sanctions — they’re about making life harder for the main competitors of U.S. tech companies. Huawei just passed Apple Inc. to become the world’s second-largest smartphone maker by market share (Samsung Electronics Co. is first).

This marks a change for China, whose companies have long been stuck doing low-value assembly while companies in rich countries do the high-value design, marketing and component manufacturing. U.S. moves against Huawei and ZTE may be intended to force China to remain a cheap supplier instead of a threatening competitor.

The subtle, far-sighted nature of this approach suggests that the impetus for the high-tech trade war goes far beyond what Trump, with his focus on tariffs and old-line manufacturing industries, would think of. It seems likely that U.S. tech companies, as well as the military intelligence communities, are influencing policy here as well.

In fact, more systematic efforts to block Chinese access to U.S. components are in the works. The Export Control Reform Act, passed this summer, increased regulatory oversight of U.S. exports of “emerging” and “foundational” technologies deemed to have national-security importance. Although national security is certainly a concern, it’s generally hard to separate high-tech industrial and corporate dominance from military dominance, so this too should be seen as part of the trade war.

A second weapon in the high-tech trade war is investment restrictions. The Trump administration has greatly expanded its power to block Chinese investments in U.S. technology companies, through the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States. CFIUS has already canceled a multitude of Chinese deals.

The goal of investment restrictions is to prevent Chinese companies from copying or stealing American ideas and technologies. Chinese companies can buy American companies and transfer their intellectual property overseas, or have their employees train their Chinese replacements. Even minority stakes can allow a Chinese investor access to industrial secrets that would otherwise be off-limits.

Notably, the European Union is also moving to restrict Chinese investments. The fact that Europe, which has opposed Trump’s tariffs, is copying American investment restrictions, should be a signal that the less-publicized high-tech trade war is actually the important one.

Since the request is coming from the US and not some Banana republic Canada wouldn't question the legitimacy of the charge, they would just make the arrest. The only issue they might have is if the person ran the risk of being given the death penalty in the US.

Back