Cal Professor who went on Barbara Bush 'racist' rant may not be saved by tenure, could lose job

Pro tip: Don't go berating the dead on social media unless you are prepared for the hate you get in return

Goes double for idiots who put their place of work in their bio or are in the public eye

also:

Criticism
Jarrar wrote an opinion piece called "Why I Can't Stand White Belly-Dancers", published in Salon in 2014. In this piece, Jarrar said she felt that white women who take part in the art of bellydance are engaging in cultural appropriation and "brown face."[4] Her commentary was widely criticized; UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh stated ironically "Maybe telling people that they can’t work in some field because they have the wrong color or ancestry would be ... rats, I don’t know what to call it. If only there were an adjective that could be used to mean 'telling people that they mustn’t do something, because of their race or ethnic origin'".[5] Atlantic writer Conor Friedersdorf pointed out historical inaccuracies in Jarrar's argument, citing an academic source: "[W]ith regional variations, something like Raqs Sharqi seems to have been known throughout the Mediterranean and certainly flourished in Egypt and the Eastern Mediterranean before the arrival of the Arabs in the 7th century".[6] Novelist and comics writer G. Willow Wilson wrote in defense of Jarrar, "When you shimmy around a stage in a hip band and call yourself Aliya Selim and receive praise and encouragement, while the real Aliya Selims are shortening their names to Ally and wondering if their accent is too strong to land that job interview, if the boss will look askance at their headscarf, if the kids at school are going to make fun of their children, guess what: you are exercising considerable privilege."[7] Jarrar wrote a follow-up to her piece, titled "I Still Can't Stand White Bellydancers.
Why do we have to come up with retarded academic reasons to shit on silly white girls who belly dance? Can't we just call them cheesy and lame? Also, shut up G Willow Wilson.

I wonder if there is a study linking attractiveness and political leaning

Also, there has been. While there is no definitive correlation across the entire spectrum, iirc, the most attractive people tend to be more likely to be conservative, as do the most unattractive. Which, in my opinion, makes sense, since conservatism is generally about reduction, objectivism, and moral judgment, and extremely attractive people are less likely to have to be introspective or sympathetic to others' perspectives/experiences due to facing less adversity. And there's also quite a bit of venom in conservatism, which I guess would appeal to very unattractive people.

However, on a side note, I think the constant references to (un)attractiveness every time a female speaker makes news is pretty fucking sexist and gross in itself.

However, on a side note, I think the constant references to (un)attractiveness every time a female speaker makes news is pretty fucking sexist and gross in itself.

Ok, but more often than not, they are brutally ugly -- eventually someone is going to bring up the coincidence

She definitely shouldnt lose her job over this. I hope the University doesnt cave in to right wing loons who want her fired for using her 1st amendment rights.

Amazing how Republicans are all for the First Amendment unless it is someone saying something they dont like. Colin Kaepernick, this woman. the list goes on.

Tasteless and deserves being fired but she's not entirely wrong.

Two war criminals in the Bush family and a third dipshit named Jeb who tried the same but failed. Momma Bush deserves some of that blame.

@TidWell

Change the title...Cal = UC Berkeley......This happened in fresno state.

Berkeley already gets enough hate from dumbass right wingers.

"
Being tenured may not save the teacher from being reprimanded. A Fresno State history professor was disciplined last year after he stated on Twitter that President Donald Trump "must hang".
"

Seems unlikely she will lose tenure.

One guy was disciplined for inciting murder/violence, she is a long way from that.

Damn it social media really bring out humanity's filth.

When did we start caring so much what random people say (like this hog) or what famous people have to say in 1 mn using their phones to type ?

Testify!!!!!!!

Well, both of the Bush’s policies resulted in the deaths of millions of people.

Not sure you can hold her responsible for that but her husband and son were terrible people.

Well, both of the Bush’s policies resulted in the deaths of millions of people.

Not sure you can hold her responsible for that but her husband and son were terrible people.

I am curious, do you also find GHWB and GWB's respective(ly brutal) suppressions of labor organization and rapid upward distribution of wealth and power domestically to also be the stuff of terrible people?

It would seem to me that, if were redirect the lens toward domestic policy exclusively and away from foreign policy for the moment, GHWB is definitely the least terrible modern Republican and GWB is no less terrible than Reagan or Trump.

I bet she smells like napthalene

I don't understand what the issue is if she keeps it exclusively on her social media and away from campus.

I am curious, do you also find GHWB and GWB's respective(ly brutal) suppressions of labor organization and rapid upward distribution of wealth and power domestically to also be the stuff of terrible people?

It would seem to me that, if were redirect the lens toward domestic policy exclusively and away from foreign policy for the moment, GHWB is definitely the least terrible modern Republican and GWB is no less terrible than Reagan or Trump.

Perhaps. Would you agree though that W's foreign policy has to be the worst post-Cold-War in America?

Back