Cal Professor who went on Barbara Bush 'racist' rant may not be saved by tenure, could lose job

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
3e568f2736548cf851e5856806aa09ba.cf.jpg

This is how I picture her looking behind her twitter she has the same features and eyes like this angry dwarf guy
giphy.gif

SkinnyIllegalFirebelliedtoad-max-1mb.gif

VISALIA, Calif. — A California State University, Fresno professor's rant about Barbara Bush being an "amazing racist" might land her in hot water.

Her tenure status might not save her career, school officials said.

Randa Jarrar, an English professor at the central California university, began her more than five-hour Twitter firestorm within an hour of the official announcement of Bush's death on Tuesday.

"Barbara Bush was a generous and smart and amazing racist who along with her husband, raised a war criminal," Jarrar wrote. "[Expletive] outta here with your nice words."

She went on to call Bush a "witch" and wished "the rest of her family to fall to their demise."

Twitter users immediately called on Fresno State President Joseph I. Castro to address the professor's tweets.

Jarrar fired back, offering up Castro's Twitter handle.

"What I love about being an American professor is my right to free speech, and what I love about Fresno State is that I always feel protected and at home here," she wrote. "GO BULLDOGS!"

Jarrar also stated she is a tenured professor and could not be fired.

Castro released a statement Tuesday evening, assuring Jarrar's comments were "contrary to the core values of the university."

“On behalf of Fresno State, I extend my deepest condolences to the Bush family on the loss of our former First Lady, Barbara Bush," Castro wrote. "We share the deep concerns expressed by others over the personal comments made today by Professor Randa Jarrar, a professor in the English Department at Fresno State. Her statements were made as a private citizen, not as a representative of Fresno State."

Castro's statement continued.

"Professor Jarrar’s expressed personal views and commentary are obviously contrary to the core values of our University, which include respect and empathy for individuals with divergent points of view, and a sincere commitment to mutual understanding and progress.”

Jarrar's Twitter account is now private, but users are still posting screenshots of her comments.

While most have urged for discipline, some have supported Jarrar's posts.

Bush was criticized by some after Hurricane Katrina for comments stating the refugees who were in the Houston Astrodome were "underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them."

Some saw her comments as a knock to the thousands of black people forced from their homes.

Jarrar made reference to Bush's 2005 comments, but didn't go into specifics before making her account private.

Jarrar's profile states: "Currently on leave from Fresno State. This is my private account and represents my opinions."

Jarrar began her leave of absence this spring, according to Patti Waid, director of university communications.

"She requested a leave of absence for the spring 2018 semester, so she is currently not teaching any courses on campus this semester," Waid said.

Fresno State officials held a press conference Wednesday morning to address the tweets.

University Provost Lynnette Zelezny assured Jarrar's comments were her own and did not reflect the views or core values of the university, which educates more than 24,000 students.

The university holds First Amendment forums every semester.

“We talk about the responsibility and not just to our faculty but to our staff and students as well. We talk about the responsibility of the First Amendment,” Zelenzy said. “We do encourage the fact that all voices do matter but again we are a community where we respect all diverse opinions and diverse thoughts. We very much do want to hear the voices of others, but we again want it to be in a climate of respect.”

Fresno State officials are moving forward with a review of Jarrar, Zelenzy said. Jarrar was hired in August 2010.

"The university is a public institution and must follow certain specific procedures in addressing personnel matters, which this is, and we will strictly follow these procedures," Zelezny said. "Fresno State will allow applicable law, policy and requirements of the faculty collective bargaining agreement to unfold."

Being tenured may not save the teacher from being reprimanded. A Fresno State history professor was disciplined last year after he stated on Twitter that President Donald Trump "must hang".

"There are certain processes we have to follow but there are, certainly, situations where a tenured faculty person can be fired," Zelenzy said.

Because it is a personnel matter, the outcome of the review will not be shared with the public, Zelenzy added.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...BlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

Last edited:
She sounds like a wonderful human being and someone we should appreciate and be thankful for. We are lucky to have her teaching the future of our world.

Her free speech protects her from being persecuted, not fired.

I wonder if there is a study linking attractiveness and political leaning

Politics has rendered so many people retarded.

Meh, she's probably right and I definitely concur that the Bush family being torpedoed would be a great gain for the country.

But I've always seen Barbara Bush as one of the (relatively few) positive figures in Republican Party's history.

Her free speech protects her from being persecuted, not fired.

Wrong.

She's a public employee, so the government is her employer. She gets 1A protections for employment actions.

also:

Criticism
Jarrar wrote an opinion piece called "Why I Can't Stand White Belly-Dancers", published in Salon in 2014. In this piece, Jarrar said she felt that white women who take part in the art of bellydance are engaging in cultural appropriation and "brown face."[4] Her commentary was widely criticized; UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh stated ironically "Maybe telling people that they can’t work in some field because they have the wrong color or ancestry would be ... rats, I don’t know what to call it. If only there were an adjective that could be used to mean 'telling people that they mustn’t do something, because of their race or ethnic origin'".[5] Atlantic writer Conor Friedersdorf pointed out historical inaccuracies in Jarrar's argument, citing an academic source: "[W]ith regional variations, something like Raqs Sharqi seems to have been known throughout the Mediterranean and certainly flourished in Egypt and the Eastern Mediterranean before the arrival of the Arabs in the 7th century".[6] Novelist and comics writer G. Willow Wilson wrote in defense of Jarrar, "When you shimmy around a stage in a hip band and call yourself Aliya Selim and receive praise and encouragement, while the real Aliya Selims are shortening their names to Ally and wondering if their accent is too strong to land that job interview, if the boss will look askance at their headscarf, if the kids at school are going to make fun of their children, guess what: you are exercising considerable privilege."[7] Jarrar wrote a follow-up to her piece, titled "I Still Can't Stand White Bellydancers.

If wishing death and misery on the Bush clan is wrong I don't want to be right.

Especially that failson Jeb!

tuNzqU4.jpg

If she goes lesbian or trangender, she'll be extra protected.

Wood....

And then be ashamed of myself, become suicidal. ..then kill myself

I wood...CHEERFULLY stick my dick in a wood chipper, and then briskly wipe down whatever's left with a rusty cheese grater in order to avoid sexing that vile contemptible shrew-bag.

Isn't snake-hatred instinctive for humans? (Serious question actually)

Garcetti/Pickering balancing test to determine whether a person who is employed by the state can be fired for speech made that is not pursuant to their official duties. Close call, but I think she can be fired or disciplined.

so what’s the verdict? was Barbara a cunt or not?

Pro tip: Don't go berating the dead on social media unless you are prepared for the hate you get in return

Damn it social media really bring out humanity's filth.

When did we start caring so much what random people say (like this hog) or what famous people have to say in 1 mn using their phones to type ?

There's solid evidence that Jarrar is a racist. Is there any evidence that Barbara Bush was a racist? Or was being related to politicians Jarrar disapproves of enough reason to call her that? Isn't it misogynistic to reduce a woman to the sum of the beliefs of the men around her?

Back