Cal Professor who went on Barbara Bush 'racist' rant may not be saved by tenure, could lose job

Gotta love right wingers clamoring for a revocation of tenure from a public institution (a bona fide First Amendment issue, since it's a government employer, and racism and public officeholders are clearly both areas of public interest per the Supreme Court) for speech nevertheless made off-campus...and then screeching about free speech when private citizens shut down a controversial speaker they don't like.

Right wing reactionaries appropriating the concept of "free speech" and mutilating it into partisan irrelevance might be my biggest new pet peeve. And the scant few 1A scholars who have conservative sympathies are just uncomfortably remaining silent on the issue while their compatriots drag us down the rabbit hole of policy incoherence and general reactionary retardation.

Ugh this woman is so gross. I don't support her getting fired for her tweeting that crap but man, seeing shit like this and I wonder how she's employed as a professor in the first place and what kind of garbage is she spewing to students.

This gives me hope, if such a person can get tenure then anyone can. Tenure here I come baby!

She should be fired for the sole reason that a person of her disposition and weight should not be teaching anyone about anything!

Vague and irrelevant to this specific case. Be specific.

Are you citing Fresno's policy? You might want to review that, first.

Private companies have the right to dictate a few boundaries to their employees, but this wasn't a work-related social media account, and nothing she said harms her business; controversial disagreement is inherent to academia.

I work for a large company and the corporate policy that we sign each and every year stipulates that anything you say anywhere that can be construed negatively on the company is grounds for termination. A very clear policy.

Does Fresno State have that.. I don't know.

The point I was making..With the rise of social media and complaints to employers by other social media users has caused companies to create policies to allow them to terminate your employment based on things said off company time. That was unheard of 10 years ago.

I suggest that the left forced companies into it. It could be have been the perfect mix of the first black pres and rise of social media happening at the same time.

Again. The principles have changed. Republicans can either accept it and play by the new rules or get run over.

That's true but is this speech she is uttering in her capacity as a professor? It is on Twitter after all. I can't say either way, not a lawyer, but the point is there are free speech concerns here given her employer is the state.
She gave out the phone number of the Arizona State mental health hotline as her own on Twitter. That’s just one example of where her free speech isn’t necessarily protected as a professor. But it’s going to be a complicated legal question. That’s for sure.

She gave out the phone number of the Arizona State mental health hotline as her own on Twitter. That’s just one example of where her free speech isn’t necessarily protected as a professor. But it’s going to be a complicated legal question. That’s for sure.
Haw is that not protected speech?

"What I love about being an American professor is my right to free speech, and what I love about Fresno State is that I always feel protected and at home here," she wrote. "GO BULLDOGS!"

Amazing an American professor doesn't understand how free speech works.

Anti-intellectualism might be the strongest pillar of right-wing political correctness. This idiotic woman gives them a great excuse to attack the political speech of professors.

Her recent rant was in poor taste, but her previous writing was flat out racist. If that didn't jeopardize her employment then this Barbara Bush rant won't.

I work for a large company and the corporate policy that we sign each and every year stipulates that anything you say anywhere that can be construed negatively on the company is grounds for termination. A very clear policy.

Does Fresno State have that.. I don't know.
Of course you don't know; disappointing that you would cast "guilt" in ignorance of such an important detail.
The point I was making..With the rise of social media and complaints to employers by other social media users has caused companies to create policies to allow them to terminate your employment based on things said off company time. That was unheard of 10 years ago.
That was because 10 years ago these things weren't published and accessible as a matter of public record, and in fact, yes, 10 years ago companies could fire you for the very same offense. Furthermore, more relevantly, the private sector isn't the public sector, nor is it academia. Tell me...to which sector does Cal State Fresno belong?
I suggest that the left forced companies into it. It could be have been the perfect mix of the first black pres and rise of social media happening at the same time.
No, whiny little bitches who couldn't tolerate opposing viewpoints forced companies into it. Guess what you're being right now?
Again. The principles have changed. Republicans can either accept it and play by the new rules or get run over.
The principles haven't changed, but liberals changed you. They devoured you. Conquered you. Now you think like them.

Thank God these people don't:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...or-who-called-barbara-bush-an-amazing-racist/
The university, Castro said, “carefully reviewed the facts and consulted with [lawyers] to determine whether we could take disciplinary action. … We have concluded that Professor Jarrar did not violate any CSU or university policies and that she was acting in a private capacity and speaking about a public matter on her personal Twitter account. Her comments, although disgraceful, are protected free speech under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.”
Score one for America. I guarantee you Barbara would have wanted this.

Also, fuck that fat cunt of a professor. Future diabetes will serve as an appropriate vessel for justice. Cheetos Karma.

There's some news on this. Students are protesting and voicing opinions at a town hall. Worth the read.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/0...ents-public-about-bush-bashing-professor.html

Hundreds of students and angry protesters flocked to California State University at Fresno this week to criticize the school's decision to not fire Randa Jarrar, a professor who called the late Barbara Bush “an amazing racist," and slammed farmers who support President Donald Trump as being "f---ing stupid."

“The problem for me is that [Jarrar] made those comments and then associated herself with Fresno State,” said Cook, who got teary as she spoke in front of roughly 250 students, according to the Visalia Times-Delta. “She’s entitled to those comments, but now she’s messing with my education. Donors are pulling out from the Jordan College of Agriculture.

https://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/s...-meets-students-insensitive-tweets/571080002/

Back