Brian Kelleher: "The UFC should adopt a supplement line that covers all allowed supplements"

That would be picking winners though and that type of scenario is usually rife with corruption. Whatever supplement company got that contract would make millions. Wouldn't be surprised if Xyience didn't make a late surge and become the defacto USADA approved legal supplent supplier to the UFC. ;)

I don't think so at all.
They will be giving away millions in product to 500+ at a time

The supplement market is not a universal market. The average person does not consume those type supplements.

Also the type of person that wants to spend money on sups would most likely avoid the company that won't give them the potential edge others would.

People still believe fighters when they pop for steroids and say it was tainted supplements?

Fair point. Current supplement sponsors deal with the same limited demographics, but it's true that they're not sponsoring everyone. The UFC could possibly charge the fighters according to production/break-even costs. That would still be cheap for fighters and wouldn't do anything ROI-wise.

Also, I don't think they'd need to tell that anyone "has to" use their line of supplements. They could just say that these are tested and safe, so it's your own problem if you take tainted stuff made by someone else. Then USADA could just stop giving shortened suspensions for tainted supplements, especially if the supplement isn't listed by the fighter.

In any case, it'll be hard business-wise.

Thank you

But the whole point by Kelleher was to give fighters the sups (sponsor) so they won't have any excuses.

EDIT: But just because one batch is tested & safe, that does not mean another might not be.
Seems a lot of companies use production facilities that obviously produce other sups.

Yeah! Lets make it even more difficult to get sponsors!

Btw ... the idea is not a new one & if there was money in it & legal to do (tell IC's they can only consume one brand), it would be done.

The idea makes sense until you look into all the variables.

Thank you

But the whole point by Kelleher was to give fighters the sups (sponsor) so they won't have any excuses.

EDIT: But just because one batch is tested & safe, that does not mean another might not be.
Seems a lot of companies use production facilities that obviously produce other sups.

Indeed they do, but if UFC embarked on something like this, I'm sure they'd get dedicated production. Otherwise it would be pointless because like you said, some other supplement would taint their product. All in all, I give this thing a 1% chance of ever happening anyway.

or fighters could
  • stop cheating and blaming tainted supplements
  • have their supplements tested before using
  • usual reputable supplements (ones that have been around a long time and aren't made by some fly by night company)
  • eat a well rounded diet and not rely on the placebo effect of supplements (the ones that may actually work are probably the ones from shady companies that purposefully include PEDs (usually the name/title gives hints). Supplements are just a scam anyways so it's best not to take them
  • if you just want protein powder then doesn't walmart or GNC or some other big name equivalent sell them under the store's generic brand. That way if they are actually tainted (lol) then one can sue and not have to worry about the company folding up shop and declaring bankruptcy
Having UFC sponsored/branded supplements reminds me of "company stores" like back in the gold rush days.....not a good thing for many fighters who don't have much money. Or are you saying your want the UFC to give them to fighters for free (even though they aren't needed; don't work)? If so then where is the money for this going to come from (not the executives pockets that's for sure). Should the UFC also then have their own brand of OTC (over the counter) cough medicine, analgesics, creams, allergy/cold meds, etc....the list goes on and on. Fighters just need to learn some personal responsibility.

Interesting
I know WWE monitors their IC's intake of all OTC's.
I'm not versed on this, so I don't know, but does a fighter have to inform USADA is they take NyQuill (ex)?

Indeed they do, but if UFC embarked on something like this, I'm sure they'd get dedicated production. Otherwise it would be pointless because like you said, some other supplement would taint their product.

Gotcha
That even makes the ROI less likely to ever be worth it

Nice back & forth man!

A civil discussion for once. Something must be wrong here. :D

But yeah, the juice ain't worth the squeeze for the UFC here.

lol
I have a lot of civil discussions on here.
If someone is just trolling for an argument, its easy to ignore (the convo or person) & move on.
After 5 or so back/forth replies you can tell who wants to converse & who wants to just e-fight and/or troll ;)

Interesting
I'm not versed on this, so I don't know, but does a fighter have to inform USADA is they take NyQuill (ex)?

See post #9 on this threat: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/list-of-usada-approved-and-banned-substances.3621099/

I think they can report it after the fact.
here is a copy/paste of the relevant section of post #9 (mentioned above and I'd suggest taking Dextromethorphan or Tussinex instead of NyQuil which has several ingredients but I would have to look at the label of active ingredients on NyQuil to see if they are on the list of permitted ingredients):

• Cold/Allergy/Cough:
There are many cold and flu products and their formulations change frequently. It is essential to review the status of each active ingredient in the product before you take it.
The following ingredients are permitted:
dextromethorphan,
Flonase,
guaifenesin,
Tussinex,
loratadine,
naphazoline,
oxymetazoline,
phenylephrine,
promethazine, and tetrahydrozoline.

See post #9 on this threat: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/list-of-usada-approved-and-banned-substances.3621099/

I think they can report it after the fact.
here is a copy/paste of the relevant section of post #9 (mentioned above and I'd suggest taking Dextromethorphan or Tussinex instead of NyQuil which has several ingredients but I would have to look at the label of active ingredients on NyQuil to see if they are on the list of permitted ingredients):

• Cold/Allergy/Cough:
There are many cold and flu products and their formulations change frequently. It is essential to review the status of each active ingredient in the product before you take it.
The following ingredients are permitted:
dextromethorphan,
Flonase,
guaifenesin,
Tussinex,
loratadine,
naphazoline,
oxymetazoline,
phenylephrine,
promethazine, and tetrahydrozoline.

Most of that is Greek to me lol

But good stuff Vicky!

Interesting

forgot to say:
Personally I would recommend no supplements for fighters except for vitamins (only if you really need them do to health problems, like how riboflavin [Vitamin B2] can, in some people with chronic migraines, prevent migraines, or if on a restricted diet then some vitamins may be needed if they aren't in large enough quantities in the restricted diets [I think Vegan diets but not sure]....etc). Otherwise skip supplements (they are a scam anyways). For PRN (as needed) meds then check the list that is provided by the regulatory committee (USADA). The fighters have access to this information. There is a sticky at the top of the forum that shows what is allowed and not allowed as of a few days ago.

Most of that is Greek to me lol

But good stuff Vicky!

Fighters can print out a copy of the list and take it to the store. Then look at the active ingredients on the OTC med they want to purchase and check the list for those ingredients. For example, Tussinex is a name brand of a "cold/cough" medication. Guaifenesin is an active ingredient in cough/cold meds (I think it is a generic name; it is in name brands like Diabetic Tussin, Geri-Tussin, Robitussin, Fenesin IR, Mucinex, Mucosa, Mucus Relief, Mucus ER

Great idea. There isn't big money in supplement sponsorship and this way a tainted supplement could be directly traced to its origin. UFC's lowballing fighters anyway, why not spend some of that revenue to avoid pull outs and suspensions.

Great idea. There isn't big money in supplement sponsorship and this way a tainted supplement could be directly traced to its origin. UFC's lowballing fighters anyway, why not spend some of that revenue to avoid pull outs and suspensions.

which is exactly why I doubt any company will ever give 500+ fighters free sups
They will never get a ROI

You do realize most people that matter like doctors and smart people think supplements are modern day snake oil right? It's kinda a shady business. Why doesnt UFC have their own faith healers too?

Last edited:
Back