Brian Kelleher: "The UFC should adopt a supplement line that covers all allowed supplements"

Big Al's Texas BBQ

Sorry, no tortilla!
@Black
Reaction score

Honestly, this makes a ton of sense. This way, we know everyone's taking the same supplements and people can't cry tainted supplements when someone tests positive.

Honestly, this makes a ton of sense. This way, we know everyone's taking the same supplements and people can't cry tainted supplements when someone tests positive.

Biggest issue with that is, you cannot force an IC to only consume one brand because they are sponsored.
Plus giving free sups to 500+ fighters at a time might not be cost effective for ROI

I agree, I made a thread saying the same thing

I like it, but what about basic food? Frank Mir claimed that it might have been kangaroo meat that caused his failed test? So even if the UFC adopted a supplement line I still think fighters would have that out.

Biggest issue with that is, you cannot force an IC to only consume one brand because they are sponsored.
Plus giving free sups to 500+ fighters at a time might not be cost effective for ROI

They'd obviously sell it to consumers and use the fighters for marketing, much like all the supplement companies that sponsor fighters currently. But this would certainly become a "Reebok" in the money sense.

I guess the UFC could request/pay USADA to send an information package regarding safe-and-tested supplements to fighters and encourage them to seek deals with those companies. I doubt they'll do jack, though.

I like it, but what about basic food? Frank Mir claimed that it might have been kangaroo meat that caused his failed test? So even if the UFC adopted a supplement line I still think fighters would have that out.
Just don't eat kangaroo meat.

or fighters could
  • stop cheating and blaming tainted supplements
  • have their supplements tested before using
  • usual reputable supplements (ones that have been around a long time and aren't made by some fly by night company)
  • eat a well rounded diet and not rely on the placebo effect of supplements (the ones that may actually work are probably the ones from shady companies that purposefully include PEDs (usually the name/title gives hints). Supplements are just a scam anyways so it's best not to take them
  • if you just want protein powder then doesn't walmart or GNC or some other big name equivalent sell them under the store's generic brand. That way if they are actually tainted (lol) then one can sue and not have to worry about the company folding up shop and declaring bankruptcy
Having UFC sponsored/branded supplements reminds me of "company stores" like back in the gold rush days.....not a good thing for many fighters who don't have much money. Or are you saying your want the UFC to give them to fighters for free (even though they aren't needed; don't work)? If so then where is the money for this going to come from (not the executives pockets that's for sure). Should the UFC also then have their own brand of OTC (over the counter) cough medicine, analgesics, creams, allergy/cold meds, etc....the list goes on and on. Fighters just need to learn some personal responsibility.

Hahaha nice idea kid...

From the same company that sells hotdog branders
It would of already been done if they wanted to do it
But the truth is Tainted supplements keep these juice heads off the longer ban list
So UFC will allow it

They'd obviously sell it to consumers and use the fighters for marketing, much like all the supplement companies that sponsor fighters currently. But this would certainly become a "Reebok" in the money sense.

As I said the ROI might not cover giving 500+ fighters free supplements
It is not like a clothing line where everyone is a potential customer.

Sponsoring an individual is different. They pick & choose who will promote the brand & contractually how.

but none of that matters, since you cannot tell an IC that they have to consume only one thing 365/7/24

UFC is sponsored by BK at times. You cannot tell fighters that they are not allowed to eat McD or KFC (poor Cormier) or only drink Bud Light & no other beer

The UFC isn't gonna build manufacturing facilities for this. If they sold their own supplements they'd pay existing companies to make them. the same companies that may occasionally get tainted supplements ...

The UFC isn't gonna build manufacturing facilities for this. If they sold their own supplements they'd pay existing companies to make them. the same companies that may occasionally get tainted supplements ...

Thank you.
I was looking into info on companies sharing production facilities.

I never understood why they're legal anyway. They either don't work or they give an advantage, making them performance enhancing surely?

That would be picking winners though and that type of scenario is usually rife with corruption. Whatever supplement company got that contract would make millions. Wouldn't be surprised if Xyience didn't make a late surge and become the defacto USADA approved legal supplent supplier to the UFC. ;)

I never understood why they're legal anyway. They either don't work or they give an advantage, making them performance enhancing surely?

I'm no supplement expert, but some peoples body chemistry lacks certain things.
I take vitamins for certain things.

But like everything, some take things too far & companies will create a product to take their money.

As I said the ROI might not cover giving 500+ fighters free supplements
It is not like a clothing line where everyone is a potential customer.

Sponsoring an individual is different. They pick & choose who will promote the brand & contractually how.

but none of that matters, since you cannot tell an IC that they have to consume only one thing 365/7/24

UFC is sponsored by BK at times. You cannot tell fighters that they are not allowed to eat McD or KFC (poor Cormier) or only drink Bud Light & no other beer

Fair point. Current supplement sponsors deal with the same limited demographics, but it's true that they're not sponsoring everyone. The UFC could possibly charge the fighters according to production/break-even costs. That would still be cheap for fighters and wouldn't do anything ROI-wise.

Also, I don't think they'd need to tell that anyone "has to" use their line of supplements. They could just say that these are tested and safe, so it's your own problem if you take tainted stuff made by someone else. Then USADA could just stop giving shortened suspensions for tainted supplements, especially if the supplement isn't listed by the fighter.

In any case, it'll be hard business-wise.

Back