BREXIT Discussion v2.0: In Stunning Decision, Britain Votes to Leave the European Union.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was Conservatives who feared change, moving forward and taking risks into the unknown? It seems like it is the "progressives" who have a problem with change.

I thought it was Conservatives who feared change, moving forward and taking risks into the unknown? It seems like it is the "progressives" who have a problem with change.
It's funny how "progressives" blow their wad over some real change

Immigration policy lead the charge in terms of both cultural identity and national sovereignty. Immigration and refugees.
Only 49% of those polled said immigration was a factor in their decision, but 72% of those polled who were voting in favour of the Brexit had it as their most important issue.

Immigration is an important issue and one is naive to think otherwise.

By saying I'm wrong, you are in a way. Would you mind telling me what countries in Africa, the Middle East, Central America and South America you'd like to live in or you think might show up on these hypothetical lists? I'm curious to see how deep you'd go in Asia as well.

I'm not saying you're lying about your own feelings, only incorrect about what you assert about others.
I've lived in Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia and Singapore, as well as spending significant amounts of time in Papua New Guinea and Thailand. No issue living in any of those places, although Singapore's a little authoritarian and cramped and transportation/infrastructure issues bothered me a bit in PNG. Unfortunately I haven't been to the Middle East, Africa or the Americas.

you are mistaken, we are embracing change. its just that Scotland wants a different kind of change than England does. no-one said in the result of a leave vote that the status quo would continue in the UK. our voices will be heard, or we'll take our independence

Although this one probably suits more for a potential Scotland Exit.

Immigration is an important issue and one is naive to think otherwise.

Sure. Education is also an important issue. As is food. None of them are primarily determined for the UK by the EU.

So, if I refer to someone who's ancestors are from Great Britain as European will they be offended? Is the polite term now British-American rather than European-American?

I think it's actually good the left and right have been in agreement on trade for a good portion of recent history. It's only with Bernie and Warren lately that we have a regressive wave coming back and it's also being shown with trump if he does go forward with the things he's said.

I would tend to agree with what your saying but brexit has an added layer of sovereignty and immigration to it so the left is taking priority to immigration with this. That's why the majority of the outcry is claiming this is racism because they are seeing this as a shift in how the UK will handle their immigration policy. The trade aspect is just a point to bring up to try to support their real motives.

Going back to my example of Bernie and warren, you can see these priorities are true because despite Bernie having very anti trade/ protect domestic labor policies, he still doesn't flip on the immigration issue which seems in direct conflict to his ideology. Id argue immigration is more important to liberals right now than it is to the right at least in terms of priority. Trump did run on the wall but I think there are a variety of underlying themes that made him rise than just that specific issue.
I'm still skewed heavily to the left when it comes to economic issues. I guess I'd be more in the post-Keynesian camp, though I don't really like labels. I spent a lot of time studying the issue from people on the left who were true believers in protectionism of labor and felt betrayed that it was Bill Clinton who signed in the most damaging free trade agreements.

And now, they've betrayed those beliefs because they're fighting stupid social issues (intersectionalism/CRT) that are 95% bullshit to begin with. Many of those people who preached protectionism of labor (mostly manufacturing) are all of the sudden going full neoliberal today. They've selectively chosen to ignore the very foundations of their economic platform to fight against imaginary racism. It's exactly what they said the right had been doing for years, that social conservatives were constantly electing candidates who preached social issues they agreed with while turning around and implementing economic policies that ultimately harmed the lower/middle class conservatives.

It's hypocrisy and I have to call it out. I genuinely care about these issues but the left has devolved into fighting imaginary microaggressions and a whole plethora of intersectional bullshit. They've betrayed their own cause.

Yeh, facebook's pretty good. #Ashamedtobebritish is a good laugh too.
yeah man, just want to point out..... that while we may disagree on this subject, I wish you no ill will . ;) some of the stuff on fb is idiotic

And the ordinary working class people of Britain already new that the poltical and metropolitan elite hates their guts. Which is why they voted against the EU.
so they voted against the elites, by voting for other elites?

logic

For those of you who missed out on the referendum action last night, you can catch up on the Play By Play from the previous thread here:

http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/118071475/

It was exciting as hell, with the scale constantly shifting with every city, and the market (the value of the Pound, notably) and betting odds responded in real time. The mood from each camp changing every minute making it that much fun to watch! :D

No wonder the Brits who participated in the discussion couldn't log off Sherdog until ITV and BBC announced the winner. It's the first time they had a nation-wide vote count that's actually exciting! :D
I couldn't go to sleep. I had written off Brexit completely, even predicted a comfortable Remain win by +6%, and as the results kept coming in, I had to temper my expectations.

Twas a fun night on here.

And the ordinary working class people of Britain already new that the poltical and metropolitan elite hates their guts. Which is why they voted against the EU.

No group loves the working poor more than the right wing of the Conservative party who are now in charge. Only gonna get better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back