BREXIT Discussion v2.0: In Stunning Decision, Britain Votes to Leave the European Union.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you directed it to someone who's fed up with the bullshit on the left. That doesn't make me on the right. ;)

It's easier to get the two confused in British politics. It does boil down to the left and the right, no doubt. The presence of multiple parties in elections does complicate things. Even if the lesser parties don't stand a chance of winning, they're important as they take votes away from the leading parties. The main parties ignore sensitive issues as much as they can and parties form specifically around these issues. For example: Immigration policy- BNP, Environmental issues- Green Party, Independence- SNP, UKIP. They're focused on one issue, and if the public feel strongly about that issue these parties get more votes. This then forces the main parties to address that issue to win the votes back. These parties are pretty much "We want this issue sorted, now! If we somehow get in power we'll decide on some policies then, perhaps." When some parties are a mixture of policies from the left and the right it can become confusing.

It's a shitpile, to be honest. Which is why a worryingly large number of people don't bother voting.

It's easier to get the two confused in British politics. It does boil down to the left and the right, no doubt. The presence of multiple parties in elections does complicate things. Even if the lesser parties don't stand a chance of winning, they're important as they take votes away from the leading parties. The main parties ignore sensitive issues as much as they can and parties form specifically around these issues. For example: Immigration policy- BNP, Environmental issues- Green Party, Independence- SNP, UKIP. They're focused on one issue, and if the public feel strongly about that issue these parties get more votes. This then forces the main parties to address that issue to win the votes back. These parties are pretty much "We want this issue sorted, now! If we somehow get in power we'll decide on some policies then, perhaps." When some parties are a mixture of policies from the left and the right it can become confusing.

It's a shitpile, to be honest. Which is why a worryingly large number of people don't bother voting.
Fawlty just mistook me for a typical right-winger and straw man attacked that position, not my argument. I just wanted to correct that notion.

As for your post, sometimes I wonder if America should diversify its political parties, but there are positives and negatives to doing so (or remaining a two party dominated system like we are now), and I'd rather go with what's been proven to work than change that might end up making things worse.

Fawlty just mistook me for a typical right-winger and straw man attacked that position, not my argument. I just wanted to correct that notion.

As for your post, sometimes I wonder if America should diversify its political parties, but there are positives and negatives to doing so (or remaining a two party dominated system like we are now), and I'd rather go with what's been proven to work than change that might end up making things worse.

I can't say what the US should do, things are different in different countries and with different history, but in Sweden the politics has come closer to a two party system with the conservative parties having had an alliance for quite some time now, and the parties more to the left of course being more willing to cooperate with each other than the alliance. I feel that it's made our political scene grow more stagnant and it seems to further cultivate a scene where the focus shift further to blaming the opposing side instead of your own solutions. I think that we would benefit from the alliance breaking up and having some cross block cooperation for a while. Of course having a minority government isn't helping, as that's really never good for a country regardless of which "side" is in charge.

I guess we have a third option now with the quick rise of a very anti immigration party, but it's a very clear dissatisfaction party that's consistently showing lack of knowledge outside their primary focus, so not many outside their voters take them seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back