Brandon Quick (outspoken bravo student) challenged in the UG

I'm not saying it's worse. I'm just saying that lot's of people who don't know shit about BJJ say it's like the best thing ever. How can you know it's the best style if you yourself ain't the best?

I don't know it's the best, "in my opinion" I think it is the best. Period. That is my opinion & that is where is ends. I'm gonna learn it & be the best that I can be. You can go learn something else if you would like & you can disagree with me but either way, this is the style of jiu jitsu that I will learn.

What does it matter to you what Jiu Jitsu I think is the best? I'll tell you too, If you don't like 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu or you don't think that Eddie Bravo is a good teacher, then don't learn it. Go to a teacher that you think is better or learn a style of Jiu Jitsu that you think is better. Only little kids argue over the internet.

So basically, you have not answered my questions and the reason is because 10th is not doing well in MMA and NOGI.

What don't you tell us your level in 10th?

I don't know it's the best, "in my opinion" I think it is the best. Period. That is my opinion & that is where is ends. I'm gonna learn it & be the best that I can be. You can go learn something else if you would like & you can disagree with me but either way, this is the style of jiu jitsu that I will learn.

Why are you being defensive?

What we are asking you is to explain your reasoning for saying 10th is the best?

If you cannot explain yourself then you fail.

Also, have you train BJJ in the past?

Why are you being defensive?

What we are asking you is to explain your reasoning for saying 10th is the best?

If you cannot explain yourself then you fail.

Also, have you train BJJ in the past?

There is no point to argue with you over the internet. No matter what facts or opinions that I bring to the table, none of you will change your opinions. I'll just agree to disagree. If you say I fail then I fail. Either way, 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu is what I'm learning.

how long have you been training? Don't take this as a flame but your response is a typical reaction from guys who never trained bjj but watched ufc's and heard joe rogan's rant.

There is no point to argue with you over the internet. No matter what facts or opinions that I bring to the table, none of you will change your opinions. I'll just agree to disagree. If you say I fail then I fail. Either way, 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu is what I'm learning.

I'll play along. Here are my reasons for thinking that 10thPJJ is *not* the best system:

1) A lot of the 10thPJJ guard game relies heavily on flexibility over hip mobility. A lot of flat on your back stuff which is VERY hard to do.

2) The top game relies heavily upon things that you should learn AFTER becoming very sufficient at specific fundamentals first, and by learning that top game first instead leads to some very big holes.

3) Its Eddie's game. Its all of his years of experience, his build, body type, and attributes. It works PERFECTLY for him because its HIS interpretation of HIS Jiu Jitsu. I believe everyone has their own journey, and through that journey we find what works best for OUR game.

Now this was very vague (I'm not about to go into crazy depths from my blackberry), but I just gave you an exact reason.

Care to share why you think its the best?

We are not arguing at all.

I have an open mind.

Once I saw Royce Gracie in the first UFC, it was huge change in my views of fighting and TMA.

Now, guys like you are posting on the net on how 10th is the best for MMA and NOGI.

As soonest, I asked questions then you just keep quiet.

I think you never even train BJJ at all and got sucked in with learning 10th.

Who is teaching you? Ari?

Well so it's respected BJJ school or 10th planet JJ which is known for getting a lot of bad criticism and known for some instructor's with fake credentials? Learn what you want but if you try you won't exactly be the best that you can be. A bunch of guy's here know what they are talking about when they say these thing's and you really shouldn't just follow the hype of maybe your friend's going to 10th planet.

I'm not going to argue with you over this, I'm just saying that training with a veteran been doing BJJ for 20 year's instructor is going to get you far more along then a brown "shirt" who's been doing heavily criticised 10th planet JJ who's been doing it for 3-4.

Well so it's respected BJJ school or 10th planet JJ which is known for getting a lot of bad criticism and known for some instructor's with fake credentials? Learn what you want but if you try you won't exactly be the best that you can be. A bunch of guy's here know what they are talking about when they say these thing's and you really shouldn't just follow the hype of maybe your friend's going to 10th planet.

I'm not going to argue with you over this, I'm just saying that training with a veteran been doing BJJ for 20 year's instructor is going to get you far more along then a brown "shirt" who's been doing heavily criticised 10th planet JJ who's been doing it for 3-4.

Very good point. Here's the thing, 10thPJJ is a VERY specialized game, which is why (IMHO) Eddie prefers that guys have solid previous grappling experience before going into his system. Your learning Eddie's game, and his take on things. He's not teaching all of those fundamentals that Jean Jacques Machado taught him to get to that point, he's teaching his discoveries AFTER that. Plus you have to factor in that Eddie does what works *FOR HIM*. He can get away with alot of the flat on your back Jiu Jitsu because he can bend his legs into places that 95% of the BJJ community cant do.

If you've already got solid fundamentals (late blue, early purple), then learning some of that stuff wouldnt really hinder your game too bad, because you'd just be picking out the stuff that applies directly to you. Now learning Eddie's system as a day 1 white belt I think is bad IMO because there are quite a few areas that arent addressed, Half Guard retention being one of them. How many times have we seen top level BJJ guys attempting to use the Lockdown, only to get it smashed and passed.

The common rebuttal is "He just didnt get enough reps", but most of the guys dabbling with that stuff were ALREADY solid. So if you wanna learn 10thPJJ, thats fine, but just keep in mind that if you build a house with a weak foundation, it may look fine when the weather is pretty and clear, but soon as the storm comes, it'll crumble and fall apart.

Very good point. Here's the thing, 10thPJJ is a VERY specialized game, which is why (IMHO) Eddie prefers that guys have solid previous grappling experience before going into his system. Your learning Eddie's game, and his take on things. He's not teaching all of those fundamentals that Jean Jacques Machado taught him to get to that point, he's teaching his discoveries AFTER that. Plus you have to factor in that Eddie does what works *FOR HIM*. He can get away with alot of the flat on your back Jiu Jitsu because he can bend his legs into places that 95% of the BJJ community cant do.

If you've already got solid fundamentals (late blue, early purple), then learning some of that stuff wouldnt really hinder your game too bad, because you'd just be picking out the stuff that applies directly to you. Now learning Eddie's system as a day 1 white belt I think is bad IMO because there are quite a few areas that arent addressed, Half Guard retention being one of them. How many times have we seen top level BJJ guys attempting to use the Lockdown, only to get it smashed and passed.

The common rebuttal is "He just didnt get enough reps", but most of the guys dabbling with that stuff were ALREADY solid. So if you wanna learn 10thPJJ, thats fine, but just keep in mind that if you build a house with a weak foundation, it may look fine when the weather is pretty and clear, but soon as the storm comes, it'll crumble and fall apart.

Can we have an update on your big announcement Darce Brabo?

10th planet mma? Who are their fighters? Also i have never seen someone willingly pull half guard in a fight like Eddie does in 95% of his matches!

Can we have an update on your big announcement Darce Brabo?

Sure you can, im almost 80% done with the initial process. Now it should only be a week or two at most. Someone who actively posts here (I wont say his name, but maybe he'll speak up) is helping me out with this, maybe he would'nt mind giving a very very small amount of detail :cool:.

slightly off topic:

quick is not a valid brown belt: fine.

all TPJJ generalities aside, do people have problems with the instruction in the videos? I have watched a little bit of it and it looks like good technique that you could use regardless of the other TPJJ strategies - i.e, you don't need rubber guard and funny names for things to do head-and-arm chokes. I'm just wondering if, belt questions aside, this is a good instructional video set?

I apologize if this has already come up in the thread, but it's a 400+ response'er so far and I don't want to read that many pages of people arguing about Bravo.

slightly off topic:

quick is not a valid brown belt: fine.

all TPJJ generalities aside, do people have problems with the instruction in the videos? I have watched a little bit of it and it looks like good technique that you could use regardless of the other TPJJ strategies - i.e, you don't need rubber guard and funny names for things to do head-and-arm chokes. I'm just wondering if, belt questions aside, this is a good instructional video set?

I apologize if this has already come up in the thread, but it's a 400+ response'er so far and I don't want to read that many pages of people arguing about Bravo.

Are you talking about Brandon's Fade to Black DVD? If yes, I don't know I haven't seen them.

If you're talking about other free online instructionals, ie:

YouTube - Ezekiel Choke Defense

YouTube - Clock Choke from Mount

YouTube - Cross Arm Lapel Choke from Mount Jiu Jitsu

Then yes, a lot of people do have problems with these instructionals.

Regardless of his belt, it is a really good instructional on chokes. I watched the whole video and there was little to no rubber guard or twister techniques.

Are you talking about Brandon's Fade to Black DVD? If yes, I don't know I haven't seen them.

If you're talking about other free online instructionals, ie:

YouTube - Ezekiel Choke Defense

YouTube - Clock Choke from Mount

YouTube - Cross Arm Lapel Choke from Mount Jiu Jitsu

Then yes, a lot of people do have problems with these instructionals.

yeah i was asking about Fade to Black - I am hardly a good judge of an instructional video (16mo whitebelt) but what I saw looked good - I just watched part of the D'arce section and he did several neat entries and setups for it.

I'd happily learn the head-and-arm chokes from a purple belt or even a high blue. Too bad about the belt controversy because it seems to have detracted from an otherwise solid DVD set.

yeah i was asking about Fade to Black - I am hardly a good judge of an instructional video (16mo whitebelt) but what I saw looked good - I just watched part of the D'arce section and he did several neat entries and setups for it.

I'd happily learn the head-and-arm chokes from a purple belt or even a high blue. Too bad about the belt controversy because it seems to have detracted from an otherwise solid DVD set.

I watched Fade to Black before the controversy and I did not think much of it.
The problem was that BQ mentionned while demonstrating one technique (the mounted guillotine) that you can tweak the neck to get a faster tap out. But he still called it a choke. :icon_neut

You must understand that BQ used to post in Sherdog and made a fool of himself by asking posters their BJJ ranks.

I am sure there is people in this forum that can give you a better judgement on the quality of the techniques shown on Fade to Black.

Back