Boxing > MMA. Holm owns Rousey

Boxers have been proved to be able to beat ufc champions (current and former). I have yet to see an mma fighter cross over into boxing and be successful, let alone KO a boxing champion. Those are the facts and they're indisputable.

Rousey was a champion in a thin division. She's not even a good representative of mma with her garbage standup. Someone like gsp is a true representative of mma because he was great at everything. So what your saying is that a champion boxer in his prime could go to mma and beat a prime gsp??? And of course no mma fighter can beat a boxer in boxing. Mma fighters use half of their time to train grappling. Boxers dedicate all their time to train purely boxing. This really is just an apple and oranges argument so please stop being a boxing nuthugger.

Rousey was a champion in a thin division. She's not even a good representative of mma with her garbage standup. .

Sloppy standup is sort of an MMA hallmark. Its not something exclusive to Rousey because she lost.

Sloppy standup is sort of an MMA hallmark. Its not something exclusive to Rousey because she lost.

lol Yep. MMA also has something called dirty boxing. I'm still not 100% sure what that is. I think it has something to do with holding your opponent's head with one hand while punching him with the other hand. That is a cardinal sin in professional boxing.

lol Yep. MMA also has something called dirty boxing. I'm still not 100% sure what that is. I think it has something to do with holding your opponent's head with one hand while punching him with the other hand. That is a cardinal sin in professional boxing.

It's not a cardinal sin it's just illegal but tons of boxers do it: Hopkins, lennox lewis, Tyson, Mayweather and a lot of others it should be legal probably.

And dirty boxing is everything that is technically illegal under Queensberry rules holding and hitting is just one thing

Stand-up in MMA has gotten alot better. Rousey's stand-up was exceptionally bad, even for MMA man, come on. I mean really, it's as if you Boxing fans don't know anything about the current state of MMA, we're talking about WMMA here, it's more than 10 years behind Mens' MMA in every way.

It's still not on par with Boxing or Muay Thai, but that's to be expected for obvious reasons.

There are alot of good strikers in MMA today.

Plus, not only has striking improved, but there's no way Weidman or Jon Jones would be so limited too their grappling that they'd have to get a fighter into the clinch to take them down like Rousey was. And striking in MMA isn't going to look as pretty as it does in Boxing because punches aren't the only thing they're worrying about, they have to be able to shift between striking and grappling at a moments notice.

Give Sergey Kovalev or Adonis Stevenson 4 years grappling experience and they still wouldn't be able to stop a double leg from either JBJ or The Chris.

A pro world champion boxer beat the most dominant athlete

images

Dude, you're either joking or you're buying into the UFC hype machine(which makes you look foolish)

Dominant over cans, not against quality competitors. Don't you know Women's MMA has only been in the UFC for 2 years?

It's like basing the sport of Boxing as a whole on the skills of only Women's Boxing. Wouldn't you agree that the men are more skilled and athletic and compete in deeper, tougher divisions?

It's the same for MMA man.

When Kovalev, Stevenson or Grigory Drozd beat Weidman, Jones or Cormier or Canelo, GGG or Cotto beat RDA, Cowboy or Pettis then you'll have a point.

Rousey was a champion in a thin division. She's not even a good representative of mma with her garbage standup. Someone like gsp is a true representative of mma because he was great at everything. So what your saying is that a champion boxer in his prime could go to mma and beat a prime gsp??? And of course no mma fighter can beat a boxer in boxing. Mma fighters use half of their time to train grappling. Boxers dedicate all their time to train purely boxing. This really is just an apple and oranges argument so please stop being a boxing nuthugger.

Or Aldo, Johnson, RDA, Weidman or Jones.

Seriously, I love both sports, but these Boxing fan boys are so bitter about the "MMA vs Boxing" beef, they don't look at the reality or the context of the Holm win, they just want to gloat that a Boxer beat "the best MMA fighter on the planet"

Seriously, I laugh everytime someone says anything of the sort about Rousey.

Or Aldo, Johnson, RDA, Weidman or Jones.

Seriously, I love both sports, but these Boxing fan boys are so bitter about the "MMA vs Boxing" beef, they don't look at the reality or the context of the Holm win, they just want to gloat that a Boxer beat "the best MMA fighter on the planet"

Seriously, I laugh everytime someone says anything of the sort about Rousey.

Definitely man. Don't get me wrong, there are mma nuthuggers that are just as bad. Why can't we just appreciate all combat sports for what they are?

Stand-up in MMA has gotten alot better. Rousey's stand-up was exceptionally bad, even for MMA man, come on. I mean really, it's as if you Boxing fans don't know anything about the current state of MMA, we're talking about WMMA here, it's more than 10 years behind Mens' MMA in every way.

It's still not on par with Boxing or Muay Thai, but that's to be expected for obvious reasons.

There are alot of good strikers in MMA today.

Plus, not only has striking improved, but there's no way Weidman or Jon Jones would be so limited too their grappling that they'd have to get a fighter into the clinch to take them down like Rousey was. And striking in MMA isn't going to look as pretty as it does in Boxing because punches aren't the only thing they're worrying about, they have to be able to shift between striking and grappling at a moments notice.

Give Sergey Kovalev or Adonis Stevenson 4 years grappling experience and they still wouldn't be able to stop a double leg from either JBJ or The Chris.

nobody is expecting high level boxing ability in MMA, but it is reasonable to at least work and and perfect the jab, which i rarely see done well in MMA, it will go along ways in setting up attacks and even recover to avoid takedowns. Just perfect the jab, to tap it on the opponents faces little by little, love taps can lead to big things, it's all i want Mr Pass.

nobody is expecting high level boxing ability in MMA, but it is reasonable to at least work and and perfect the jab, which i rarely see done well in MMA, it will go along ways in setting up attacks and even recover to avoid takedowns. Just perfect the jab, to tap it on the opponents faces little by little, love taps can lead to big things, it's all i want Mr Pass.

I'd like to see the Jab used more effectively in MMA as well.

However last night during the Magny vs Gastleum fight we did see this happen. Again, I'm not saying they were the best jabs I've ever seen or anything, but Magny used his reach to great effect.

I think it partly comes down too how these fighters are being trained and what they're focusing more on.

If these guys are being taught to use more of a kick/knee assault over punches or, maybe use their elbows more, maybe the jab isn't something they train as much because it's not part of their style(Jon Jones doesn't really use the jab, but he does use his reach to great effect as a way to keep his opponent at bay with his palm) it comes down to the trainer and what they're implementing into the training regimen. You have to remember, unless these guys come from an actual striking background, they're going to be mixing their strikes with their grappling, so, much like in Muay Thai, working the jab isn't going to be as important as many other strikes.

Jon Jones again, he uses low side kicks and the chasse bas to gauge the distance, it's like a jab in some ways.

I'd like to see the Jab used more effectively in MMA as well.

However last night during the Magny vs Gastleum fight we did see this happen. Again, I'm not saying they were the best jabs I've ever seen or anything, but Magny used his reach to great effect.

I think it partly comes down too how these fighters are being trained and what they're focusing more on.

If these guys are being taught to use more of a kick/knee assault over punches or, maybe use their elbows more, maybe the jab isn't something they train as much because it's not part of their style(Jon Jones doesn't really use the jab, but he does use his reach to great effect as a way to keep his opponent at bay with his palm) it comes down to the trainer and what they're implementing into the training regimen. You have to remember, unless these guys come from an actual striking background, they're going to be mixing their strikes with their grappling, so, much like in Muay Thai, working the jab isn't going to be as important as many other strikes.

Jon Jones again, he uses low side kicks and the chasse bas to gauge the distance, it's like a jab in some ways.

that's what i like about jon jones he uses the oblique kicks as a jab to keep opponents at a distance, what he doesn't do is use them to time a counter. He has many countering opportunities but it is easier said then done. Holly is the only one i have seen at the world stage utilize the jab to establish distance, once she did that she moved around till she found rondas pattern and started to time her. Jones hasn't perfected the timing, but you will never even be close to timing properly unless you master the jab. Aldo i have seen counter well, especially off of other fighters, but that's only on capitalizing on opponents lazy attacks.

the jab opens the crevice Mr Pass, once you opened their guard, little by little you can begin to slide inside their defense nicely. they will be confused at first but once they have felt the damage accumulate as their defense opens and gapes they will accept the reality, the discomfort would be too much, and begin to slowly break down in confidence and ego. In effect making it easier to set up for more powerful attacks as the defense will be loose you will see more openings to set up angles etc.

that's what i like about jon jones he uses the oblique kicks as a jab to keep opponents at a distance, what he doesn't do is use them to time a counter. He has many countering opportunities but it is easier said then done. Holly is the only one i have seen at the world stage utilize the jab to establish distance, once she did that she moved around till she found rondas pattern and started to time her. Jones hasn't perfected the timing, but you will never even be close to timing properly unless you master the jab. Aldo i have seen counter well, especially off of other fighters, but that's only on capitalizing on opponents lazy attacks.

the jab opens the crevice Mr Pass, once you opened their guard, little by little you can begin to slide inside their defense nicely. they will be confused at first but once they have felt the damage accumulate as their defense opens and gapes they will accept the reality, the discomfort would be too much, and begin to slowly break down in confidence and ego. In effect making it easier to set up for more powerful attacks as the defense will be loose you will see more openings to set up angles etc.

I understand. As they say, the jab is the most important punch in Boxing. It sets up your right hand, it probes the opponents defense for weaknesses. It can be used to set up other techniques as well that aren't punches.

So I see what you're saying.

It's an important technique.

This statement highlights one of the major differences I've noticed in MMA fans and boxing fans.

Holly Holm spent almost every second of the fight out-boxing Ronda. She controlled distance, she used her footwork, she timed Ronda over and over, she landed quick combinations, and she busted her up pretty bad. She completely negated Ronda's Judo by boxing her.

Then she knocked Ronda down with a punch, and as Ronda stood up Holly finished a disoriented, exhausted, mentally defeated Ronda with a head kick.

To people who understand what they watched, Holly won that fight with boxing. To UFC fans, she won with a head kick.

No, to people who understand what they watched, Holly won with Boxing, Footwork, Judo, Wrestling, and BJJ. You are just a fucking idiot

Yes because HW boxing right now is beautiful too right? Don't confuse what seems awkward to you as necessarily sloppy. Boxing and MMA are similar and very different. I am not sure why this is so hard to understand. If it was as simple as learning how to just box then you would see pure boxers killing mma fighters and kick boxers in their respective sports consistently but you don't. There is a reason for this. It gets so tiresome listening to people who don't fight talk about fighting.

The reason is because the jab range is not the same as kicking range. Ronda can't kick, in fact I cant even ever recall her ever throwing one. There was no need for Holm to be in anything other than jab range vs Ronda. If you watch the footwork of good kickboxers you will see the difference between their boxing counterparts.

No, to people who understand what they watched, Holly won with Boxing, Footwork, Judo, Wrestling, and BJJ. You are just a fucking idiot

lol

Yeah Holly really showed off her Judo in that fight, she just picked Ronda apart with Judo.

She's also clearly mastered the martial art of footwork. She must have spent a lot of time in a footwork gym getting ready.

8rWSPVW.gif

No, to people who understand what they watched, Holly won with-sinp-, Judo -sinp- You are just a fucking idiot

In his effort to "convince " us lol

lol

Yeah Holly really showed off her Judo in that fight, she just picked Ronda apart with Judo.

She's also clearly mastered the martial art of footwork. She must have spent a lot of time in a footwork gym getting ready.

8rWSPVW.gif

I listed it separate because you ***ets think that footwork is only part of boxing

Back