Black Chicago Pastor is asking Rahm Emmanuel to remove a George Washington statue.

Should statues of George Washington and other slave owning founding fathers should be taken down?

• Total voters
Robert E. Lee as a man was quite decent. I can't hate on him as a person, he was more against slavery than most of his Union counterparts even.

That doesn't mean the segregationist and secessionist monuments get to stick around.
He had zero slaves when the war started... Grant on the other hand had some.

That's one of those things that gets buried in history books and never spoken about.

Here is what Robert Lee thought of Confederate monuments.

Lee himself never wanted such monuments built.

Dear Sir--Absence from Lexington has prevented my receiving until to-day your letter of the 26th ult., inclosing an invitation from the Gettysburg Battle-field Memorial Association, to attend a meeting of the officers engaged in that battle at Gettysburg, for the purpose of marking upon the ground by enduring memorials of granite the positions and movements of the armies on the field. My engagements will not permit me to be present. I believe if there, I could not add anything material to the information existing on the subject. I think it wiser, moreover, not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered. Very respectfully,
Your obedient servant,
R. E. Lee.

Letter from Dwight Eisenhower..

General Robert E. Lee was, in my estimation, one of the supremely gifted men produced by our Nation. He believed unswervingly in the Constitutional validity of his cause which until 1865 was still an arguable question in America; he was thoughtful yet demanding of his officers and men, forbearing with captured enemies but ingenious, unrelenting and personally courageous in battle, and never disheartened by a reverse or obstacle. Through all his many trials, he remained selfless almost to a fault and unfailing in his belief in God. Taken altogether, he was noble as a leader and as a man, and unsullied as I read the pages of our history.

From deep conviction I simply say this: a nation of men of Lee's calibre would be unconquerable in spirit and soul. Indeed, to the degree that present-day American youth will strive to emulate his rare qualities, including his devotion to this land as revealed in his painstaking efforts to help heal the nation's wounds once the bitter struggle was over, we, in our own time of danger in a divided world, will be strengthened and our love of freedom sustained .

Such are the reasons that I proudly display the picture of this great American on my office wall.

Sincerely,

Dwight D. Eisenhower

He had zero slaves when the war started... Grant on the other hand had some.

That's one of those things that gets buried in history books and never spoken about.

That doesn't absolve him as being the driving force of the will of a secessionist slave state. And it doesn't mean African Americans should have to put up with Confederate monuments installed not by Confederates but segregationists much later after the war.

That doesn't absolve him as being the driving for of the will of a secessionist slave state. And it doesn't mean African Americans should have to put up with Confederate monuments installed not by Confederates but segregationists much later after the war.
Did I say any of that? Jesus.

Lee only fought for the South because he was Virginia and Virginia chose to leave. Had Virginia stuck with the Union the Civil War probably would have been over faster.

Did I say any of that? Jesus.

Lee only fought for the South because he was Virginia and Virginia chose to leave. Had Virginia stuck with the Union the Civil War probably would have been over faster.

Personally I favor Longstreet over Lee.

Lee was just the best high ranking officer left alive, not actually the best officer available.

Call me when there's actually any real movement here and the story is about more than one random dude.

You guys totally should. You should also put JayZ on your bills and replace Rushmore with Tupac, Biggy, Snoop and Dre.

Call me when there's actually any real movement here and the story is about more than one random dude.
Should George Washington's statue come down in Chicago?

Vote in our poll or give us your opinion.

The damn grand canyon is the real culprit in trying to divide this country. Fill that fucking thing in.

Personally I favor Longstreet over Lee.

Lee was just the best high ranking officer left alive, not actually the best officer available.
I'm personally a Sherman fan... he had a damn tank named after him

I really hope there's a big push to remove George Washington statues, it will expose the "alt left " (lol, it's catching on) for the retards they are. It's time the sane members of western society distanced themselves from the fringe right and left elements. The problem with the alt left is that's they are deeply embedded in so many prominent institutions.

Knew this was coming. More shit to follow.

Start closing southern historical sites like any battlefield where the south won.

I'm a Black man and I say (and voted) no.

I do think however that those who stood in open rebellion and fought for their rights to own people and treat them as cattle should NEVER be revered.

We can learn about them in history books as we do Hitler, Pol Pot, etc.
The don't deserve a monument/statue.

I'm personally a Sherman fan... he had a damn tank named after him

Sherman and Grant both weren't very exceptional for most of the war. They certainly revolutionized warfare, but it took them years of disaster to get there.

They grew as commanders for sure.. through repeated dramatic failures. Sherman actually almost went mad at one point.

They just had overwhelming superiority in almost every possible advantage you can think of when you want to wage a war.

I don't think Sherman or Grant would have performed near as well if they had the Confederate army to lead.

As for being the namesake of tanks.. well, to the victor go the spoils.

Should George Washington's statue come down in Chicago?

Vote in our poll or give us your opinion.

My opinion? No it shouldn't but if this specific part of Chicago wants to change their statues, let them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back