BJJ VS Muay Thai on the street

When I think of Tapout stuff I think of the wannabees that wear them.......I don't have anything that is from Tapout. The wannabees ruined it for me.

if you're training, you're not a wannabe. wear what you want.

The poster above me feels my pain. I know what you mean. I had a pair of Tapout skull togas, and i hated those motherfuckers with a passion. I ended up giving them away.
Me too I have a brand new Tapout shirt that I have not worn and it is still hanging in my closet.

I haven't asked yet, lol.

I can go to a Boxing gym though and this will be my schedule:

Monday: BJJ 20.00 - 22.00
Tuesday: Boxing
Wednesday: BJJ 20.30 - 22.00
Thursday: No Gi / Submission Grappling 20.00 - 22.00
Friday: Boxing.

Sounds good.

Can you do the Wednesday MMA class as well as the BJJ?

This is a good idea...Boxing and BJJ is a perfect combo for what you are looking for. You can always do Muay Thai later on.

Sounds good.

Can you do the Wednesday MMA class as well as the BJJ?

Yes. :icon_chee

But isn't it too much for a beginner ? And also I will be sweaty after the MMA class :S so I don't think people will wanna roll with me lol

Yes. :icon_chee

But isn't it too much for a beginner ? And also I will be sweaty after the MMA class :S so I don't think people will wanna roll with me lol

It will be taxing at the beginning on the body but what do you have to lose?

Training twice is no big deal. This is how you become good.

Never mind the sweat from previous training. BJJ warm up if done well will get anyone sweaty.

For self defense, I'd recommend an art that 1) specializes in the clinch, and preferably one that also 2) addresses strikes. The myth about 90 % of fights ending up on the ground is total horseshit - what you do see, however, is that almost every fight involves clinching. Nobody ever stands toe to toe trading punches, unless both parties happen to be boxers or something. For this reason, I'd say Muay Thai is the first art anyone should learn if training for self defense. After that, probably judo (favorable over Greco due to the incorporation of trips, favorable over freestyle due to the upright posture, favorable over both due to the incorporation of jacket wrestling and submissions), then BJJ (superior on the ground, which is not a good plan A, but a great plan B if you still end up there).

Just my 2 NOK.

Can you afford $150 per month for BJJ membership?
A $150-250 for one single uniform. You will need at leat 2 Gi. You can find cheaper but people usually like the expensive one.
Competition fees are like $50-100 if you want to compete.

I can't afford to pay that much. Which is why I now do Judo and wrestling where I can. Freestyle Wrestling is my base. I have done that for many years. But since moving to a new area it is not available. The prices BJJ clubs charge around Sydney is crazy. They all charge about the $120- per month plus gi costs and extras. I can't afford that much so I went for Judo instead. And I love it.

As for Muay Thai vs BJJ - no question. 9 out of 10 times a grappler would prevail. Personally for self defense I highly reccomend Judo. Judo,BJJ, Wrestling - these styles teach you many ways to pick up/slam,pin and submit out an opponant. The last thing you want to do is grab and shove a grappler. The second last thing you want to do is throw kicks or punches. My first Judo lesson was very impressive. I was amazed at the speed these guys can lift and slam someone. They grab your gi or your wrist, then befor you know it they shoot in and grab your legs then you are airbourne heading for the floor. Once a grappler shoots in and grabs your legs- you are headed for the ground. Once he clinches with you, your're hitting the ground. Very hard.

If you are looking for self defense, Judo>all imo. Throwing someone on cement guarantees he isn't getting up. Not to mention you know some sub defense and subs and have a phenomenal base.

Judo/Kickboxing combination IMO are the two best for self defense

90% of street fights between two people who have no idea what they are doing, end up on the ground. If you know what to do on the ground, you will prevail. If you know you have a huge advantage on the ground(BJJ artist VS some punk on the street), you are going to choke his ass out and make him regret ever wanting to fight you.

The early UFC's were street fights. Royce Gracie settled this debate a long time ago.

100% of all street fights start STANDING. Many involve multplie assilants and weapons. A large number NEVER make it to the ground. Many street fights occur on rough/broken surfaces. Wanna pull guard on broken glass and with the dudes buddies crowding around?
The early UFC's were NOT street fights...they were carefully orchestrated events set up by the Gracies to be won by a Gracie. They were more infomercial than anything, and the debate is obviously not setteled.

100% of all street fights start STANDING. Many involve multplie assilants and weapons. A large number NEVER make it to the ground. Many street fights occur on rough/broken surfaces. Wanna pull guard on broken glass and with the dudes buddies crowding around?
The early UFC's were NOT street fights...they were carefully orchestrated events set up by the Gracies to be won by a Gracie. They were more infomercial than anything, and the debate is obviously not setteled.

Not hard to take a fight to the ground honestly.

You don't pull guard in a street fight.

Why does everybody assume that a BJJ practitioner is going to pull guard in a street fight.

This is the strategy we go for in this order........Clinch, take down, top position, strike and submit........guard is a last resort and should be avoided if possible.

You sound like a hater of BJJ

tbf, when a MT guy and a wrestler clinch, the MT guy ends up on his back.

Back