BJJ VS Muay Thai on the street

tbf, when a MT guy and a wrestler clinch, the MT guy ends up on his back.

Really? A guy who primarily spends most of his time training to take the other guy down beats the guy who only sometimes train clinch and takedown defense?

Why does everybody assume that a BJJ practitioner is going to pull guard in a street fight.

This is the strategy we go for in this order........Clinch, take down, top position, strike and submit........guard is a last resort and should be avoided if possible.

You sound like a hater of BJJ

He is not only a BJJ hater but he believes that the first UFC was fake.

Wanna pull guard on broken glass and with the dudes buddies crowding around?

If i see someone else talk about pulling guard as if that is all jiu-jitsu is my head will explode. broken glass, lava, mortal kombat spikes in the ground...wait what?

I am pretty sure that the grappler will be the one on top while the other guy is on his back.

JIU-JITSU IS MORE THAN THE GUARD!!!!!

Actually the guy has 4 BB in TMA and he has vast knowledge of GJJ.

I will have to leave it alone because my purple belt in sport BJJ is not that big deal.

Maybe he would listen to you since you are in the business so to speak.

you're right, sometimes the MT may hit his head off the ground after being taken down and winds up KTFO.

Nope, I was thinking more of the wrestler getting KO by elbows and knees..unless they teach you to eat elbows and knees in wrestling.

But why bring wrestling in a BJJ vs MT thread?

Nope, I was thinking more of the wrestler getting KO by elbows and knees..unless they teach you to eat elbows and knees in wrestling.

But why bring wrestling in a BJJ vs MT thread?

This is not true. Walk into a reputable grappling school and try it. Walk into a BJJ club or a Judo club or a Wrestling club and give it a go. I mean, to me, they are all wrestling and the techniques/concepts are very much the same. But anyway, try clinching with a grappler and start throwing elbows and knee's. I'll tell you what will happen, you will be body slammed. And it will hurt. Or, if not, you will have your legs ripped out from under you and be taken down.

This is not true. Walk into a reputable grappling school and try it. Walk into a BJJ club or a Judo club or a Wrestling club and give it a go. I mean, to me, they are all wrestling and the techniques/concepts are very much the same. But anyway, try clinching with a grappler and start throwing elbows and knee's. I'll tell you what will happen, you will be body slammed. And it will hurt. Or, if not, you will have your legs ripped out from under you and be taken down.

Na, it is ok.. I will take your word for it.

nevermind the MT clinch with elbows and knee strikes, the wrestler/Judo/BJJ can deal with that! :rolleyes:

Personally, I think both are good but if you can't train both you should choose MT.. For example, you're walking home and some punk starts to throw punches, I'd like to KO the guy within a couple of seconds and GTFO outta the place. But in BJJ you have to take him down on the sidewalk and mount him and then armbar him or whatever.

Discuss.

With BJJ you're prepared for if he wants to stand with you. Take him down and finish him. And you're prepared for if he wants to take you down. Get taken down or reverse his attempt into your own takedown and finish. If you only do Muay Thai you're only prepared for if he wants to stand and strike. If he has any wrestling ability at all you're fucked.

With BJJ you're prepared for if he wants to stand with you. Take him down and finish him. And you're prepared for if he wants to take you down. Get taken down or reverse his attempt into your own takedown and finish. If you only do Muay Thai you're only prepared for if he wants to stand and strike. If he has any wrestling ability at all you're fucked.

ding ding and what that peeping around the corner...ding.

Grappling does not start on the ground. Grappling is standup to....just not blows from standing. Thats why the grappler is superior because he has techniques standing AND on the ground. The striker has stand up and stand up only.

That is just to big of a hole to be overlooked.

Wasn't this the point of the Gracie Challange and the early UFC. I cant believe this debate still exist.

Average joe gets in fight with trained striker...if joe is athletic, strong or has some coordination he may still pose a threat.

Average joe gets in fight with trained grappler...joe is pretty much screwed when the grappler get the fight to the ground.

btw...just because someone is trained in grappling doesn't mean they can't throw strikes in a fight at least on par with your average untrained person.

Two things
1) I'm watching a conan obrien rerun and jennifer aniston is on...great legs
2) 1 on 1 bjj will utterly dominate someone who doesn't know it, but if there is any chance the guy has friend....round house kick to the face!

Back