BJJ VS Muay Thai on the street

I would rather take it to the ground. Just because somebody is a good striker doesn't mean they can't get caught with a wild punch. Get some friends together that don't train. Get some gloves and practice stand up, then practice grappling and see which one seems like your more in control. In my gym we train for MMA so we do striking and grappling but if need be I am taking somebody to the ground and choking them out

1 on 1 --- grappler
1 on more than 1 --- MT

Is this about an experience grappler vs. an experienced striker? If that's the case, I'd say it both depends on the type of grappler (wrestler will be more effective than BJJ guy b/c they're better at takedowns which bring the fight into the grappler's world)

Look, everybody has some rudimentary striking ability and some rudimentary grappling. So, all things being equal, I'd say your average wrestler can get the takedown before getting KO'd by your average joe. By the same token, a striker can still get taken down or KO'd by an avg. joe, but the chances are less. Still, because MT is effective BOTH in 1 on 1 fights AND in ... "brawls" ... I'd study MT if I was spending my nights walking around on the streets starting fights like a d-bag.

If you're talking about an experienced MT fighter with a solid clinch game and good TD defense vs. an experienced grappler with good TDs... I mean, you've got a toss-up IMHO. However, look at the current champs.. they're exceptional wrestlers or have exceptional TD defense (part of wrestling). GSP is a freak in all respects, but would you call Brock an excellent striker? What about the Matt Hughes days? Anderson and BJ don't take people down, but the TD defense is what enables them to strike and few pure MT guys are practicing TD defense like a MMA guy would. If striking won out, Ernesto would have been wearing a UFC HW belt about 5 years ago.

With BJJ you're prepared for if he wants to stand with you. Take him down and finish him. And you're prepared for if he wants to take you down. Get taken down or reverse his attempt into your own takedown and finish. If you only do Muay Thai you're only prepared for if he wants to stand and strike. If he has any wrestling ability at all you're fucked.

Yeah true but not many people here even know what BJJ/Reslin' is. And of course I will have an advantage doing BJJ because no one here knows how to fight on the ground, most of them only know how to punch and that's it.

listen...i am primarily a muay thai trained person...and I love muay thai...but i was figuring this was in reference to a one on one street fight (if so then bjj would be best to be trained in compared to muay thai in my opinion if it had to be one or the other)...however, if we are talking straight brawls with multiple attackers...id say western boxing is even better than muay thai (if you have to engage and there is no possible way of running away)...you don't want to be on one leg throwing a kick when 3 dudes are attacking

1 on 1 --- grappler
1 on more than 1 --- MT

Is this about an experience grappler vs. an experienced striker? If that's the case, I'd say it both depends on the type of grappler (wrestler will be more effective than BJJ guy b/c they're better at takedowns which bring the fight into the grappler's world)

Look, everybody has some rudimentary striking ability and some rudimentary grappling. So, all things being equal, I'd say your average wrestler can get the takedown before getting KO'd by your average joe. By the same token, a striker can still get taken down or KO'd by an avg. joe, but the chances are less. Still, because MT is effective BOTH in 1 on 1 fights AND in ... "brawls" ... I'd study MT if I was spending my nights walking around on the streets starting fights like a d-bag.

If you're talking about an experienced MT fighter with a solid clinch game and good TD defense vs. an experienced grappler with good TDs... I mean, you've got a toss-up IMHO. However, look at the current champs.. they're exceptional wrestlers or have exceptional TD defense (part of wrestling). GSP is a freak in all respects, but would you call Brock an excellent striker? What about the Matt Hughes days? Anderson and BJ don't take people down, but the TD defense is what enables them to strike and few pure MT guys are practicing TD defense like a MMA guy would. If striking won out, Ernesto would have been wearing a UFC HW belt about 5 years ago.

Are we talking about winning a fight against other trained mma fighters? Or one style over the other for self defense?

Bj Pen doesn't take people down? As to say bjj doesn't train take downs? Bjj trains take downs it's just not the main focus like wrestling and judo but against a non grappler a bjj guy's take downs and defense would be very effective. Atleast from my experience when a new guy comes in to a club takes downs, ground control and subs seam rediculously easy almost unfair.

Are we talking about winning a fight against other trained mma fighters? Or one style over the other for self defense?

Bj Pen doesn't take people down? As to say bjj doesn't train take downs? Bjj trains take downs it's just not the main focus like wrestling and judo but against a non grappler a bjj guy's take downs and defense would be very effective. Atleast from my experience when a new guy comes in to a club takes downs, ground control and subs seam rediculously easy almost unfair.

yeah, its pretty much the same on standup, we don't let people spar for 6 months & it takes them years to get any good & they never really can catch up unless they are very talented or super hard working. :)

that said one of a muay thai's persons greatest threats besides a take down is a haymaker, i can't count how many times i've seen quality mt guys go down to a overhand because they trying to fight a mt fight.

For self defense, I'd recommend an art that 1) specializes in the clinch, and preferably one that also 2) addresses strikes. The myth about 90 % of fights ending up on the ground is total horseshit - what you do see, however, is that almost every fight involves clinching. Nobody ever stands toe to toe trading punches, unless both parties happen to be boxers or something. For this reason, I'd say Muay Thai is the first art anyone should learn if training for self defense. After that, probably judo (favorable over Greco due to the incorporation of trips, favorable over freestyle due to the upright posture, favorable over both due to the incorporation of jacket wrestling and submissions), then BJJ (superior on the ground, which is not a good plan A, but a great plan B if you still end up there).

Just my 2 NOK.

I think this is a very agreeable post but would add that after a few years of getting good at these things it's worth adding a big of the wider self defense picture to your game as well by finding a good teacher with a realistic approach to weapons and learning about the non-combat elements of self defense. Hopefully after years of training in martial arts with a competition oriented approach you will have learned how to spot bullshit.

I think the best skill for self defense is awareness. Being able to avoid a situation before it esculates.

Personally, I think both are good but if you can't train both you should choose MT.. For example, you're walking home and some punk starts to throw punches, I'd like to KO the guy within a couple of seconds and GTFO outta the place. But in BJJ you have to take him down on the sidewalk and mount him and then armbar him or whatever.

Discuss.

It only takes one hit to end a fight. Therefore he could get lucky and land a KO punch even if hes an untrained opponent. MT isnt safe fight proof you could lose at anytime. Especially if the guy takes you to the ground and starts trying to go to town then the MT guy would get his head bashed in.

Everybody likes to talk about getting jumped by a thug, but a more common situation is the drunken uncle or buddy. Somebody you know gets plastered and obnoxious and starts something with you or somebody else. With BJJ I can control and subdue them without causing injury to them or myself. Worse case scenario, you can't get them to settle down and you give them a short nap.

With MT or boxing what are you gong to do? Take a chance on seriously injuring somebody?

If it is a thug you always have the option to take them down, control, then throw punches/elbows. (Personally, I would try to move to knee on belly in case I need to move away quickly.)

1 on 1

BJJ with strong Judo>all

Multiple attackers

my HK45>All

1 on 1 --- grappler
1 on more than 1 --- MT

1 on more than 1- THE ART OF RUNNING. Be Smart

100% of all street fights start STANDING. Many involve multplie assilants and weapons. A large number NEVER make it to the ground. Many street fights occur on rough/broken surfaces. Wanna pull guard on broken glass and with the dudes buddies crowding around?
The early UFC's were NOT street fights...they were carefully orchestrated events set up by the Gracies to be won by a Gracie. They were more infomercial than anything, and the debate is obviously not setteled.

Lol where do you people live... the ghetto??? come on im getting tired of hearing most of the time its multiple attackers. It is rarely multiple attackers unless you are in a place you dont need to be. Same goes with weapons. They were not carefully orchestrated events set up by the gracies. That statement just made you the most ignorant person on sherdog congrats!!! The only rule was no low blow and no eye gouging. Everything else was legal. How was it set up for gracie to win? He had to fight every person. It was a tournament. I mean unless the gracies know the future and who was gonna win each fight it was not set up.

Everybody likes to talk about getting jumped by a thug, but a more common situation is the drunken uncle or buddy. Somebody you know gets plastered and obnoxious and starts something with you or somebody else. With BJJ I can control and subdue them without causing injury to them or myself. Worse case scenario, you can't get them to settle down and you give them a short nap.

With MT or boxing what are you gong to do? Take a chance on seriously injuring somebody?

If it is a thug you always have the option to take them down, control, then throw punches/elbows. (Personally, I would try to move to knee on belly in case I need to move away quickly.)

Well, I don't care if I hurt them tbh..

I still think Judo should be no. 1 for self defense/

Too bad not many places offer Judo ;/

judo/jiu jitsu same thing

same fundamentals, different focus

just be good at jiu jitsu not sport jiu jitsu, guard pulling may help all the top guys win gold but in a fight it aint gonna help much

and people wonder why the top jiujitsu guys get their ass whooped in mma by jiujitsu practioners of unranked or lower belts, marcelihno has probably the best open guard game there is but most of it doesnt work in mma, thats why rickson stresses fundamentals and not trying to be flashy with techniques, he wants to effective with his jiu jitsu in any situation

in my opinion rogers sports jiu jitsu game transfers to a vale tudo situation the most effectively as he sticks to the basics even in sports JJ

If you are looking for self defense, Judo>all imo. Throwing someone on cement guarantees he isn't getting up. Not to mention you know some sub defense and subs and have a phenomenal base.

I don't agree many judokas struggle to throw heavy guys in the street, wrestling and bjj both own judo.

Yeah, black belts have horrible technique:rolleyes:

well if u knew a lil about judo, u would know a blackbelt, knows all the throws, and is moderately effective with them, so yeah judo blackbelts dont have the best technique and as you become more effective u r promoted to the next dan or degree so if u said 6th dan blackbelts have terrible technique and rolled your eyes then i would have agreed but yeah some blackbelts do have bad technique, u ever train bjj with a 1st dan judo blackbelt, they arent that good, but u know im pullin guard but thats cuz my judo game isnt too strong

oh and liverpool is way better than manchester at football

I don't agree many judokas struggle to throw heavy guys in the street, wrestling and bjj both own judo.

hmm. I don't know where you're getting the facts behind this assertion. either way I don't believe it to be true. at all.

Back