Bjj blue belt vs gjj blue belt.

I own a school here in NY. A few towns away is a GJJ school run by a Blue Belt who's been training for 6 years...he comes by every now an then. Nice guy, he's probably 25. Absolutely terrible Jiu Jitsu though. The fact he has a BJJ program scares me. He will come to my academies open mats, and will get absolutely steam rolled by my competitive white belts.
How can you suck si badly after 6 tenes of Bjj?

Yeah, that's weird. 6 years is a long time to study and still get steamrolled by competition whites. I don't care how good the competition white is either, a newly minted purple should have the chops to stifle a white belt prodigy. At purple, you should have that skill, which is to not get steamrolled by any white. Prodigy or competition blues? Yeah, a six year can be steamrolled by a competition or exceptional blue, specifically if the six year player is only a hobbyist.

I think it depends on how good are your training partners also. If he's been training/teaching for 6 years, I would wonder how good are the guys he's working out with on a routine basis. I would bet that he's probably the alpha male of his group so he's not being put in deep water regularly

Yeah, that's weird. 6 years is a long time to study and still get steamrolled by competition whites. I don't care how good the competition white is either, a newly minted purple should have the chops to stifle a white belt prodigy. At purple, you should have that skill, which is to not get steamrolled by any white. Prodigy or competition blues? Yeah, a six year can be steamrolled by a competition or exceptional blue, specifically if the six year player is only a hobbyist.

To be honest a 15 years old competition white belt from atos with a regular body frame is going to run over most hobbiest purples, that kid could have been training for about 6 six and is just not a blue due to age limit...

To be honest a 15 years old competition white belt from atos with a regular body frame is going to run over most hobbiest purples, that kid could have been training for about 6 six and is just not a blue due to age limit...
True, age limits aside and assuming the white belt is a lazy prodigy at an unremarkable academy, LOL

someone said it somewhere in this thread. Getting to blue is not that big of a deal in the scheme of things. Sure it says that you can beat untrained folks and most white belts, but you are by no means a "Master". At purple is where higher level skill really comes into play. This is because a legit purp should be able to beat most skilled Blues. In other words, purps should be able to beat people who know BJJ at a relatively solid basic level.

relson uses gracie jiu jitsu and hates the coin bjj but rorion respects him to much to sue im sure
Relson would lay a beating on Rorion and Rorion knows it. He would give no fucks about the lawyers Rorion sent.

In competitions, there are three categories. Beginner, intermediate and expert. You and your coaches should decide where you fit and just go from there.
what about dodgy instructors who want to up their medal haul for school prominence and competitors who are sand-bagging who always stay in the beginner level?

what about dodgy instructors who want to up their medal haul for school prominence and competitors who are sand-bagging who always stay in the beginner level?

Correct. Bjj is notorious for such things.

I mean in judo, no one cares who is a yellow belt champion. Why is it different in Bjj?

There is parents home schooling their kids in the USA so they can win medals. But what for?

Relson would lay a beating on Rorion and Rorion knows it. He would give no fucks about the lawyers Rorion sent.

True. Relson is really one Gracie who doesn't give a damn. Dude was gonna stab Rolls with a kitchen knife after being bullied by him, lol.

I’ve b
"]If you don't have to roll to earn it" - GJJ makes you roll before you get a blue belt

"I also think you should compete at least once to get your blue belt"

John-Danaher-3-up.jpg
I’ve been doing (Royce) Gracie Jiu Jitsu for 2 years, have a blue belt, and we roll all the time.

No free rolling?

I train at a GJJ school. Our whites and blues regularly do just fine at competition and often very well. Our new blues have fairly tight fundamentals and are, in my opinion, somewhat less sloppy than are blues from other schools. I can't say that is a GJJ for sure, maybe just my school. I do roll at a lot of schools and it my opinion that letting whitebelts roll before they know anything at all can lead to some fairly bad habits.

I came from a boxing and muay thai background (usually trained in gyms which had boxing, muayt hai,mma and bjj) and when i went to a couple of pure bjj gyms, i didnt really like their method of teachings.Everyone regardless of experience were taught the same 2 moves and asked to practice and then roll afterwards. There was no proper curriculum and even after a couple months retention of knowledge was not there.

Plus some of these gyms (pure sports bjj) seemed to have a stick up their ass trying to prove stuff due to my standup and a lil bit of mma background (egging me during rolls).I never had that problem during the few bjj lessons i took in gyms which taught a mixture of standup and ground sessions.

I suffered a slip disc during one of those uber agrressive rolls and was out for over 8 months.Late last year i joined a Gracie CTC. Have been training 2 to 3 times a week for about 3 months and just got my 1st stripe. At this rate, i would be on course for 4 stripes white in a year. (you have to go through each technique e.g take the back/rear naked choke 4 times in the curriculum)

Plus first 15 minutes of each session starts with practicing the moves you learnt before with a partner. Im usually at the gym 20 minutes earlier and if there is no partner there yet, i would do drills on the heavy bag.

I really like the curriculum and systematic style of teaching and at our gym we start rolling ( your choice ) at open mat sessions after each class. We have a mixture of guys with MMA /Boxing/ Krav Maga / Weightlifting backgrounds so though we dont roll full on, we get to learn quite abit applying techniques on different people. ( Like the boxing guy would throw punches when we try to get into a clinch takedown, Weightlifting guy uses his strength when on the ground, Krav guy goes for eyes and balls etc.

The controversy on online blue belts is well known. Rickson stepped in and though he commended Rener on their focus on self defence he also said a true blue belt should be able to handle himself with a trained and also untrained opponent. They have now changed it to a special Gracie Combatives belt, which you get after your 4th white stripe assuming you pass the test.

View attachment 199331

I dont really care much for belts, since i wear nogi attire for training mostly, but i do get that having a belt aids with retention of students who need something to aspire for.

Belts are also helpful in a learning environment because they help folks estimate the skill level of their opponent, especially as an upper belt, so that the roll can be productive for both people.

I own a school here in NY. A few towns away is a GJJ school run by a Blue Belt who's been training for 6 years...he comes by every now an then. Nice guy, he's probably 25. Absolutely terrible Jiu Jitsu though. The fact he has a BJJ program scares me. He will come to my academies open mats, and will get absolutely steam rolled by my competitive white belts.

I'm a fan of GJJ and lucky enough to have 2 GJJ blackbelts teach each class, including the kids classes. I can't see how a bluebell could run any sort of school. They just don't have the knowledge and if they are running a program where would they train to get it?

Gracie academy curriculum is quite solid, 80 clases of 1 hour is only 80 hours though, which seems quite low, then again, if the curriculum and the teaching are well structurates I guess you can get the most out of those 80 hours, then again, since the don't free roll, I'm not so sure about the proeficiency of their students .

The Gracies in general have a different idea of what a blue belt is, it evens out more at purple.

Sport BJJ blue belts have inflated lately to where it's a big deal. Everybody worried about the sanctity of this beginner rank.

Most every other Gracie gym does free rolling with white belts, but now everyone thinks Rener and Ryron is the face of Gracie. Still, the blue belt generally is awarded quickly, I know this is the case with Royce.

Pedro Sauer has a similar curriculum, his new blue belts are not very good either. So what?

Last edited:
It's funny, you go from this thread to the "BJJ is not good for your body" thread.

Nobody seems to realize that competition and the overly aggressive daily randori that it spawned is destroying people.

Competition was never meant to be the goal of Judo or Jiu-jitsu. Randori was a central feature of the art but the founders never envisioned competition as the focal point.

Yes, you get better a little faster and you feel superior, then you're crippled for life. Done at 40, I can't move my neck.

You go through that thread and these guys are so close...hey maybe if we go a little easier, we could do this longer with less pain.

People forget that given enough time, things tend to even out. It doesn't matter that you were a great blue belt who visited another gym and beat another blue belt when you are 50. None of it matters whatsoever.

Last edited:
Nobody seems to realize that competition and the overly aggressive daily randori that it spawned is destroying people.

Dunno, the bitch-asses I have trained with get injured disproportionately to the time they spend training.
Things are a lot safer if you stay in good position, do well drilled techniques, don't let people impose their will on you and stay ready going hard instead of slacking off and have someone explode and hurt you.

Last edited:
Back