Bjj blue belt vs gjj blue belt.

cardkid

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
So I have kept coming across the same sort of comments about Gracie jiu jitsu belt rankings, more importantly the blue belt.
Everytime I see it mentioned someone immediately jumps in with negative comments etc about it and I just wanted to know why?
It's thought that they just hand belts out quick to people but according to Gracie academy it takes on average of 2 years to achieve a blue belt. Now I know for a fact there's plenty of bjj blue belts who've got theirs in a shorter time period but it's apparently worth more because they "earned" it.
I'm not saying it's not true, just wanted to know what everyone else thought.

If you don't have to roll to earn it, it's not earned in my opinion. I also think you should compete at least once to get your blue belt (unless you are too old, or want to stay at white for a longer period of time). In general I don't care about the belts, because there is no unified requirement system. In my academy they are given primarily for success in competition.

For example I got my purple belt last august, I've been training for 3 years and 3 months now, and I've had 122 matches during this time. There was a guy who got his purple at the same time, he wasn't a competitor though, he had spent 6,5 years at blue.

If you don't have to roll to earn it, it's not earned in my opinion. I also think you should compete at least once to get your blue belt (unless you are too old, or want to stay at white for a longer period of time). In general I don't care about the belts, because there is no unified requirement system. In my academy they are given primarily for success in competition.

For example I got my purple belt last august, I've been training for 3 years and 3 months now, and I've had 122 matches during this time. There was a guy who got his purple at the same time, he wasn't a competitor though, he had spent 6,5 years at blue.

Ok now this is what I'm talking about. If a guy doesn't compete because of his age should he be promoted? Is it fair to make allowances for people's age?
Sometimes because of the unclear requirements for a bjj blue belt doesn't it sometimes seem hard to say when its legit or not? I keep seeing guys going"I earned my belt!" Really pumped up about it like the Gracie dudes haven't. So let's say it takes them 3 years. What about guys who are just as good at 3 years as they were at 2 years in but they're a blue belt now? Should they not have been promoted sooner?

Ok now this is what I'm talking about. If a guy doesn't compete because of his age should he be promoted? Is it fair to make allowances for people's age?
Sometimes because of the unclear requirements for a bjj blue belt doesn't it sometimes seem hard to say when its legit or not? I keep seeing guys going"I earned my belt!" Really pumped up about it like the Gracie dudes haven't. So let's say it takes them 3 years. What about guys who are just as good at 3 years as they were at 2 years in but they're a blue belt now? Should they not have been promoted sooner?

It's a hard question indeed. I kinda understand older people (45+) who do physical work and can't risk injuries because of competition. They might be technical and overall good in jiu-jitsu. It would be stupid not to allow them to get belts.

It's a same thing when a black belt gets older, at some point (maybe at 60?) a black belt will get crushed by 20 year old blue belts. Should they be demoted because they get old?

It's not easy to say who should be promoted and who shouldn't. Since there are no official guidelines, it's up to the instructor. This might or might not be a good thing. I think the stupidest possible solution is the IBJJF "minimum year system". According to it it's okay to promote a guy from purple to brown in 1,5 years. But there might be a guy who trains 8-10 times a week, and there might be a guy who trains 8-10 times a month. It doesn't make any sense.

I'd prefer to just be a white belt forever and avoid the question of whether I deserve it.

Being a blue belt is not that big of a deal. Of course everyone wants to be great at whatever belt they are at(or in general ) but in reality you can be a so-so blue belt with many holes in their jiu jitsu and still be legit blue belts. To me a blue belt is someone who can handle himself/herself against an 'untrained' opponent in the real world.

I would say beginning at purple belt is when you actually need to start being 'good' at jiu jitsu. That being said I can see why gjj was 'selling' blue belts on line because being a blue belt is not a big deal.

The issue as many see it; for a while the brothers (gjj) were giving/selling belts online after a video was submitted to them. Lots of trash talk, infighting, and general pissyness after that. Road to McDojo etc.....

Gracie academy and CTC students do have to spar as part of their blue belt test. They spar their instructor with strikes. Previously you had to spar just vale tudo where the instructor was striking you but you could not strike back. Now it is expanded and you have to roll gi, no-gi and vale tudo.

Being a blue belt is not that big of a deal. Of course everyone wants to be great at whatever belt they are at(or in general ) but in reality you can be a so-so blue belt with many holes in their jiu jitsu and still be legit blue belts. To me a blue belt is someone who can handle himself/herself against an 'untrained' opponent in the real world.

I would say beginning at purple belt is when you actually need to start being 'good' at jiu jitsu. That being said I can see why gjj was 'selling' blue belts on line because being a blue belt is not a big deal.

So you'd consider a gjj blue belt to be legit? Because they are supposed to be able to defeat untrained opponents

So you'd consider a gjj blue belt to be legit? Because they are supposed to be able to defeat untrained opponents

It's a loaded question IMO. "Legit" is subjective. Is a blue belt (or higher) who has never been punched in the face during a roll legit? (I'm not looking for an answer, it's a rhetorical question)

If they are able to apply a RNC, armbar from mount/guard, triangle choke, ankle lock....on an untrained person who is combative/aggressive towards them, yes, that is at the very least, a high level white belt and I would say a low level blue belt.

It's a hard question indeed. I kinda understand older people (45+) who do physical work and can't risk injuries because of competition. They might be technical and overall good in jiu-jitsu. It would be stupid not to allow them to get belts.

It's a same thing when a black belt gets older, at some point (maybe at 60?) a black belt will get crushed by 20 year old blue belts. Should they be demoted because they get old?

It's not easy to say who should be promoted and who shouldn't. Since there are no official guidelines, it's up to the instructor. This might or might not be a good thing. I think the stupidest possible solution is the IBJJF "minimum year system". According to it it's okay to promote a guy from purple to brown in 1,5 years. But there might be a guy who trains 8-10 times a week, and there might be a guy who trains 8-10 times a month. It doesn't make any sense.

Yesra of practice is a pretty bad indicator to use for promotion, mat time is what counts.

Yesra of practice is a pretty bad indicator to use for promotion, mat time is what counts.

What would you say is a good amount of mat time to justify the promotion?

If you train two hours twice a week that's about 37 and a half weeks. So less than a year I guess?

Yeah about that. It also depends on the subject not everyone is the same some people pick up stuff way faster than otherS

Yeah about that. It also depends on the subject not everyone is the same some people pick up stuff way faster than otherS

Grace Academy is minimum of 80 classes to be Blue belt eligible (80 classes gets you 4 stripe white). Then you're allowed to test.

The whole thing is retarded. Should be everyone is white belt and only head coaches are black belt. If you are not going to dedicate your life to coaching amd running the gym, you have no business wearing a black belt regardless of personal talents.

In competitions, there are three categories. Beginner, intermediate and expert. You and your coaches should decide where you fit and just go from there.

Grace Academy is minimum of 80 classes to be Blue belt eligible (80 classes gets you 4 stripe white). Then you're allowed to test.

Really? I'm sure I read on their site it takes about 2 years.

Back